Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3/GT3 RS Weight Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
oh, i understand what you mean and agree!
i was just taking it a step farther with systems like pasm there should be varying maps available (including fixed) and maybe even the ability to program our own personal map.
pasm should also not be married to exhaust set up.
I totally agree and feel that as much of the car should be programmable to suit the owner, particularly things like the defaults of PASM, traction control, PSM etc. it drives me nuts to remember to turn these off or have to reset them after a restart.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:58 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Does anyone have the part number for the 997 GT3 PASM control unit or would anyone be willing to take some high res photos of the components on the main PCB inside the control unit so that I could check to see if the hardware would even remotely support being reprogrammed?

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 02-17-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Todd/A.W.E.
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More data regarding weights...

Stock exhaust components:

Header assembly with cats: 22lbs per pair
Primary mufflers with valve/flap assemblies (the muffler in the rear fenders): 42lbs per pair
Secondary muffler with tips and straps (rear muffler): 22lbs

Total 86lbs.

However, we have done extensive power testing on each of these components, and dropping weight is not going to be easy. Conventional methods are not yielding positive/desireable results. The cats, unlike other current Porsches, are single stage 400 cell, meaning that they are already lighter than the dual cat setups on the other cars, and the combination of mufflers work in concert regardless of the valve position.

Have no fear, we have prototyped something that has made some nice power while dropping weight. Testing continues...
Old 02-17-2007, 04:31 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Todd, that's good data, and very useful as well. I noticed the headers in the new 997 GT3 have equal length tubes design, pretty good for the higher RPM on the new car.

That's lot of weight on the exhaust system. My 996 complete stock system weighs exactly 86 lbs as well, 25 lbs on each muffler, 14 lbs on each cat and 4 lbs on the headers. Porsche made some marketing advertisement that the new exhaust system in the 997 GT3 was lighter (another lie about weight).

The muffler bypass pipes will be challenging to design, but you have 64 lbs of excess weight to play with. I think two resonators (one per straight pipe) could be useful to increase back pressure and don't lose power, but still a good 45 lbs can be saved, and the sound might not be as loud as my current 996 bypass pipes.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd/A.W.E.
More data regarding weights...

Stock exhaust components:

Header assembly with cats: 22lbs per pair
Primary mufflers with valve/flap assemblies (the muffler in the rear fenders): 42lbs per pair
Secondary muffler with tips and straps (rear muffler): 22lbs

Total 86lbs.

However, we have done extensive power testing on each of these components, and dropping weight is not going to be easy. Conventional methods are not yielding positive/desireable results. The cats, unlike other current Porsches, are single stage 400 cell, meaning that they are already lighter than the dual cat setups on the other cars, and the combination of mufflers work in concert regardless of the valve position.

Have no fear, we have prototyped something that has made some nice power while dropping weight. Testing continues...
Oh dear. 86lbs is about 50lbs less than I expected. It all looks heavy. And I hadn't considered the cats.

Well, that's still the better part of 100lbs behind the rear axle. There is potential for weight reduction. And there's always the prospect of power from an intake/map/exhaust solution. I've seen those dyno runs showing 30hp gains from just a flash. Of course all the usual skepticism disclaimers apply. : )
Old 02-17-2007, 11:16 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did some house cleaning today.... dropped 31 lbs
Attached Images   
Old 02-17-2007, 11:24 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Garrett, is that the stock battery?

Holly cow, 31 lbs on trunk's junk? That's a new record. The 996 GT3 had 17.5 lbs only (including tools). Just with this, the bulky exhaust and the roof hole is enough to get the car to the 3,0xx lbs range.

You don't need windshield liquid, that's another 5-6 lbs.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:29 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Garrett, is that the stock battery?

Holly cow, 31 lbs on trunk's junk? That's a new record. The 996 GT3 had 17.5 lbs only (including tools). Just with this, the bulky exhaust and the roof hole is enough to get the car to the 3,0xx lbs range.

You don't need windshield liquid, that's another 5-6 lbs.
More if you have xenon with washers. They increased the tank so you can wash the headlights more often

-20 for the battery
-11 for the guts

it is an odyssey 925L 24.5 lbs.
Stock battery was 44.5
Old 02-18-2007, 12:46 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 996 GT3/GT2 PCCB rotors are a direct swap for the 997 GT3 with steel rotors. Weight Saving: -46 lbs.

Every 100 lbs removed on the 997 GT3, is the equivalent to 13Hp extra, plus better braking and better turning. 250 lbs removed should take care of the C6 Z06 even with r-comp tires.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Nice bracket on the battery -- is that a 925? Does Odyssey make the bracket?
One trick is to buy some battery cable at an auto parts store and relocate the battery to the tool tray location.

You've also got TWO wipers -- you need only one ...
Old 02-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Nice work on the trunk it looks like an early 2.7 or 964 RS with the painted surfaces and mechanicals showing.

More like the earlier RS cars is the way Porsche should go IMHO
Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

How much lighter is new 4.0 RS than 3.8 RS? How much additional weight can I remove by deleting radio, delete AC, add Lithium ion battery and PCCB? I'm going to keep the xenon headlights. Does full leather add additional weight, even though it seems to add more alcantara in the RS.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Go to Google and type in "utube Andreas Preuninger" and you will come up with a set of 3 videos on the GT2RS made during a press discussion of the car at Porsche. In these videos the weight savings of various components developed for the car and options is discussed.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Today must be thread revival day ...

As for the 4.0, I think they claim 22lbs or 10Kg's -ish. Li-ion battery, rotors, etc., will net maybe 50lbs. Don't get PCCBs for the track. The xenons and LED tail lights are so heavy, well you negate all cabin trim efforts. I'm told full leather is in the order of 5-10lbs, so is the radio. Better to get the radio to get the wiring harness (free and reversible) then just pull out the radio and speakers to shed the bulk of the ... um ... bulk.

As noted, there's a couple of boobtoob videos and several (much newer) threads here exploring options weights and the 4.0.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Today must be thread revival day ...

As for the 4.0, I think they claim 22lbs or 10Kg's -ish. Li-ion battery, rotors, etc., will net maybe 50lbs. Don't get PCCBs for the track. The xenons and LED tail lights are so heavy, well you negate all cabin trim efforts. I'm told full leather is in the order of 5-10lbs, so is the radio. Better to get the radio to get the wiring harness (free and reversible) then just pull out the radio and speakers to shed the bulk of the ... um ... bulk.

As noted, there's a couple of boobtoob videos and several (much newer) threads here exploring options weights and the 4.0.
Note the Xenons also come with a headlight washer system that when filled with water is pretty heavy.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3/GT3 RS Weight Thread