Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3/GT3 RS Weight Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007 | 04:10 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by allegretto
So let's say we go out to a watering hole one night and there are two women at the bar. Both are of "generous" proportions but one has larger accoutriments between her navel and neck. Is she "better" because she has something a little better, or do we leave and go looking at a different bar?

The fact is that 3200 lbs is too darn much massXgravity for a proper track car! Street beast, OK. But not for a serious track car. Oh, I know I know...get a Cup Car. That's fine and all, but some want an honest road/track car.

Over on the TT side, the car catches a lot of flack for being only a couple hundred pounds more. Here we see folks giving a truly overstuffed vehicle a pass. And we haven't even begun to talk about the issues of elctronic countermeasures and what that does to the image of a track car.

"Yeah, she's all racer", if you don't count PASM, PSM etc.

For those of you who want to seriously track your 997 GT-3's, how are you going to do that? Have a "assist disabled" league? I'm just not sure how these helpers are going to be rolled into the formula. Anyone already know?

All your really saying is how much more "incompetent" the old GT3 was or is. Fact remains that it can't beat the heavier new car even with a seat pulled out of it and with its suspension optimally tuned.
Old 02-15-2007 | 04:11 PM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by RR
When talking about weights, no one has mentioned that the 997GT3 is torsionally stiffer by 8% over the old GT3 and the flexural stiffness is up by 40% over the old car (EVO June 2006 Pg 82)....To me it's obvious the 997GT3 doesn't need to lose anything in it, if it can already beat a stripped out 996GT3.
RR that's a good point and i did mention before that if it was just 50-60 lbs for bigger rotors and stiffer chasis then that's acceptable that's a reasonable design trade-off i would be happy to do if i were the engineer designing the car

more importantly this thread is not about which car is better as many of the people discussing have or are getting a 997 which imeans they think it's a better car... nothing wrong with people wanting their cars to be lighter...the effect on driving feel and experience is more important than lap time IMO
Old 02-15-2007 | 04:16 PM
krC2S
Racer

"Yeah, she's all racer", if you don't count PASM, PSM etc.
people tend to confuse this

car has TC and not PSM and it can be turned off

PASM is not a driver aid it's just active shocks like having PSS9 that changes damping on its own..i am not a fan because of it's less natural and more reactive nature on 997s i had..it's like the active shocks in 360/430
Old 02-15-2007 | 04:21 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RR
<snip>Fact remains that it can't beat the heavier new car even with a seat pulled out of it and with its suspension optimally tuned.
That is no "fact." The fact is a magazine hired a pro driver to compare to cars under controlled conditions with the stipulation that neither car be put at risk. The facts coming from that comparison are subjective observations for the record. The lap times are neither here nor there. Both cars had a lot more to offer if properly tuned and driven to the limit.

I expect in coming months we'll start to see club racing and time trials where the real potential of the two cars can be compared by the stop watch. For now, it's early days and it's all subjective.
Old 02-15-2007 | 04:23 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

here we go again.
Old 02-15-2007 | 04:23 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

The fact is that 3200 lbs is too darn much massXgravity for a proper track car! Street beast, OK. But not for a serious track car. Oh, I know I know...get a Cup Car. That's fine and all, but some want an honest road/track car.
Believe me...I hear ya...I'd love for the GT3 to be without a sunroof or PASM...actually without the aerodynamic aids as well...that would be the ideal car in my mind, as my base 997 is perfectly stable at the track speeds I reach.

However, as has been pointed out by many, the GT3 is a "street beast", not a proper track car...the RS is your "honest road/track car", but unfortunately laws in this country don't allow for the plexi rear window, roll bar, CF seats, harnesses, and fire extinguisher that come standard on the RS in other markets.

Back to the original subject, I do agree that Porsche's press releases need better editing...it's not just the weight info that's been incorrect and inconsistent in recent years. I recall the 997S ROW no-cost -20mm sport suspension with LSD option being shown on Porsche's US website for about a year, there was the RS's "CF front lid", lightweight door panels were indicated on the RS in an initial US press release, etc. I don't think they are intending to deceive.
Old 02-15-2007 | 04:26 PM
Dodo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gete3
Yes the RS is shamefully overweight as Porsche's ultimate race/road car (a four-seat M3 CSL weighs less). But look on the bright side - it's ORANGE with free stickers.
Don't remind me! I'm selling my CSL to buy a GT3. The rear seat "cushion" in the CSL is only 8 lb actually.
Old 02-15-2007 | 04:49 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

But PASM cannot be shut off, or is it different on GT-3's

What I meant to say is that at 3200 lbs it's a road car that can be tracked. Only a couple of hundred pounds less than a TT which I think most would say is too heavy. Ther are no laws that state that an RS must weight over 3000 lbs. That's Porsche's call. I'll bet they could cover all DOT requirements and come in under 3K if they wanted to. But the Marketing and Accounting depts have a good deal to say about it all.
Old 02-15-2007 | 05:18 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Ther are no laws that state that an RS must weight over 3000 lbs. That's Porsche's call. I'll bet they could cover all DOT requirements and come in under 3K if they wanted to.
Is it physically possible? Sure. But the bolt-ons (seats, plexi rear, door panels) aren't legal here, so what would you suggest they do? The ROW parts are/will be available for retrofit for those who want them...and the car does have to be profitable for a limited run.

We'd all like the modern cars to be lighter...more Exige-like...but even that has crept up to 2,100 pounds in current (and still DOT-exempt) S trim. It has to be kept in mind that the basic platform used for the GT3/GT3 RS is shared with the Boxster/Cayman as well as the rest of the 997 line, and thus must be cost effective and mass produced while also being able to handle 500+ hp in Turbo form and capable of cruising at 200+ mph.
Old 02-16-2007 | 01:18 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

la plus ca change....

any of you old guys remember our discussion of those factory 996 gt2 wheels???

they can't give us all the cool bits and still be:

"the most profitable car company in the world"

as for chasing lightweight in a strad as someone mentioned earlier, they were all way over factory claimed weight, but we still liked them,and i liked my z06.

but the 997 GT3 is a better car as delivered than both.
Old 02-16-2007 | 03:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

But PASM cannot be shut off, or is it different on GT-3's

What I meant to say is that at 3200 lbs it's a road car that can be tracked. Only a couple of hundred pounds less than a TT which I think most would say is too heavy. Ther are no laws that state that an RS must weight over 3000 lbs. That's Porsche's call. I'll bet they could cover all DOT requirements and come in under 3K if they wanted to. But the Marketing and Accounting depts have a good deal to say about it all.
PASM CAN be shut off. search for a post by AWE. you can kill off PASM and install aftermarket coil overs if you like.
Old 02-16-2007 | 03:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by frayed
the point is that if Porsche decided to built a car with the same purpose and narrow scope of appeal and purpose as the loti, it would be outstanding. This is what the RS should have been IMO.
i get you pt. now if you would convey that to mr. w i would greatly appreciate it and we can all be happy
Old 02-16-2007 | 11:08 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
PASM CAN be shut off. search for a post by AWE. you can kill off PASM and install aftermarket coil overs if you like.
I think the point in this case was to disable it's automatic functions and leave it in a fixed, constant state.
Old 02-16-2007 | 11:17 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I think the point in this case was to disable it's automatic functions and leave it in a fixed, constant state.
Has anyone figured out how to do this?
Old 02-16-2007 | 11:32 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
Has anyone figured out how to do this?
I'm told JRZ is in early R&D to build a black box to control the dampers.
I'm trying to get that confirmed through the local JRZ "in crowd." (TRG)

Quick Reply: 997 GT3/GT3 RS Weight Thread