Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3/GT3 RS Weight Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
It may be heavier, but the 997GT3 is faster even with the weight. Further, if you gut out a 997GT3, it will blow away the 996Gt3 even more, so what exactly are we talking about??? These arguments are getting close to being retarded. Sorry.
Lighten up Francis!!

Post was never meant to be a mine vs. yours. In fact, only statements such as yours seem retarded to me. Notice how current owners of the 997GT3 are stating the facts without being inflammatory and working toward trimming theirs down.

Please don't get
Old 02-14-2007, 03:49 PM
krC2S
Racer

+1

RR no 996 vs 997 who's better intended here i don't have a 996 and getting a 997 but still interested
in this discussion they are both great cars but still both are heavy

just got my SM weighed today and it's 2250 with full tank! and that's the "heavy" 99 SM
Old 02-14-2007, 03:56 PM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
the difference is close to 100 lbs between similar configuration US 996 and 997 GT3s.
that's better than what i thought remember there's more easy weight to lose in the 997 like 20 lbs or so extra interiror bits and stock seats are probably heavier

50-60 lbs extra ( what you will probably have after losing that easy weight) is acceptable to me for getting bigger rotors and significantly stiffer chasis

just comparing the relative numbers the absolute weight for all stock gt3's is sad though
Old 02-14-2007, 04:02 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, NJ and others have been "complaining" about weight since the get go, and posting erroneous info about ring times of 996GT3's vs 997GT3's.
This whole arguement is congruent with the "sour milk" themes that have been posted over the past 4 months about the new GT3RS and GT3.

I mean really this whole weight issue is a moot point when the 997GT3RS beats not only the old GT3 at the ring (RS included) but also the 430 (a car with amost 500HP) and the Z06 also a car with over 500HP and also a car that weighs less than the 997GT3.

I mean, really if you want to race it, gut it out. I'm sure you can get it down to 2500lbs if you want. But all of these weights posts, IMO, smell of sarcasm.

Further, the Excellence article also had the same theme running through it's article, BUT when it came down to the lap times the new one beat the old one. It just sounds like people who are "stuck" witht he old GT3 are trying to justify their passing on a 997GT3. Everyone keeps searching and stretching the truth comparing ROW cars with NA cars with carpet ripped out, passenger seats missing etc etc.

This is a forum where people go for information, and accurate information. So to see all this hearsay, and incongruent imformation is disheartening for me, and it should be also for the forum moderators.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:04 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
It may be heavier, but the 997GT3 is faster even with the weight. Further, if you gut out a 997GT3, it will blow away the 996Gt3 even more, so what exactly are we talking about??? These arguments are getting close to being retarded. Sorry.
A good practice for posting on public forums, is to read what you're posting from the other's point of view. If your common sense is ok with that, then post it.

Back to the topic, we have evidence that Porsche is not being honest with its customers, and I think that as 997 GT3/GT3 RS owners, they have the right to request corrective actions from Porsche. It's unfair to advertise the GT3 as a 3,075/3,031 lbs car, when it's not even close.

I feel that current owners of these cars finding out the actual weight, are not happy about the news.

It seems to be a great car, and I'm sold on the idea of upgrading in the near future, but I would expect some honest information from the manufacturer.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:34 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I agree with NJ. I never got the impression that this was a competition. Both cars are awesome. I was very dissapointed in the weight of my car because, as NJ states, Porsche advertised a 3000 lbs car and that's what I thought I was buying. Just because the 997 GT-3 is faster (it has 415 hp) doesn't give a free pass to be a pig. Weight will wear out consumables much faster. I was hoping to get a 3000lb car that I could trim to around 2850. That will never happen and I will be lucky to get to the advertised weight.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have buyer's remorse. I love the car and it is fast. And if you think about it, it is a bargain.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:45 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Ok where is your evidence? We all know the NA cars will be heavier than ROW's. Period.
Porsche has not posted the NA weights of either car. They've only said that the GT3 and GT3RS will have a 44lbs weight difference, which it will have NO MATTER how heavy the NA cars are compared to the ROW's.

The car Mike at AWE weighed and posted about here at Xmas weighed 3223 with the an upgraded soundsystem and bi xenons and just over a 1/4 tank of fuel. A full tank is 18 gallons. A 1/4 of that is 4.4 gallons. 1 gallon weighs 6.25lbs each which equals 28lbs. If it was over a quarter it could be 30lbs or 35 lbs, no one knows.
So take 3223lbs subtract 28lbs for the fuel and then subtract at least 60lbs for the sunroof (it could weigh even more, does anyone know the exact amount???) and also subtract some weight for the bi xenons and the upgraded soundsystem with the additional speakers and also add in the TPM system. Again this was all talked about at Xmas with Mike's original post.

So you get roughly 3135lbs WITHOUT factoring in the TPM, bi xenons and sound system upgrade) vs the 3069lbs that Porsche posted. So how much weight do you figure the TPM, bi xeonons and sound system upgrade is worth?

Bottomline is the weight isn't far off, and probably not off at all from Porsche published numbers.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:48 PM
blustem
Instructor

Gave up my spot for 997 RS at local dealer -couldn't justify extra cost over reg. GT3 and at the time I cancelled there was very little usable performance and weight info.-RS vs.GT3. I had a seal grey '04 w/PCCB's and calculated incessantly about weight mods that I never implemented. I came up with -60lbs( C.F.Suzuka Cobra's) ,-65lbs( cat bypass), -20(racing battery +no washer fluid),-20(take out the useless stereo and speakers), -44(bought a car w/PCCB's), -20(misc. crap in trunk). Considering the same if I order a 997 GT3.I would forgo most options eg.Nav.,Chrono.,etc... Where am I wrong on these numbers if I am wrong? This seems like an easy way to lose weight. -blustem
Old 02-14-2007, 04:55 PM
blustem
Instructor

Back on the subject....It's total crap that the car is much heavier than the advertised weight. Its crap that a car such as the 997 GT3 weighs what it does.Weight is a huge issue to me and it is why I am considering something other than a 997 GT3. Been looking at 360CS and I dig the C6 Z06 among others. -blustem
Old 02-14-2007, 04:56 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mitch236
I agree with NJ. I never got the impression that this was a competition. Both cars are awesome. I was very dissapointed in the weight of my car because, as NJ states, Porsche advertised a 3000 lbs car and that's what I thought I was buying. Just because the 997 GT-3 is faster (it has 415 hp) doesn't give a free pass to be a pig. Weight will wear out consumables much faster. I was hoping to get a 3000lb car that I could trim to around 2850. That will never happen and I will be lucky to get to the advertised weight.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have buyer's remorse. I love the car and it is fast. And if you think about it, it is a bargain.

Ok now a 3069lbs car has all of a sudden become a 3000lbs car. Porsche did not advertise any NA weight for this car. Get your facts straight guys.
This is the whole problem.
Mitch weighs his car with all this sh*t pulled out of it and it's heavier than the car thet Mike at AWE weighed without pulling anything out???? Come on...obviously our figures are effed up. And what is ridiculous is that guys are taking these figures and running off on all sorts of tangents.

Everyone is talking out of their ***. One guy weighs their car with a tank 2/3's full. The other with 1/4 full and all of a sudden Porsche is lying or deceiving.

The car's weights are correct for the NA spec. The bulls*it keeps piling up.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:14 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

i weighed my ***** and they were 200 pounds each.....over to you.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Make it more Elise-like.
I couldn't agree more, or at least make it more like the RS cars of the past.

Alas, if they did this today there would be bitches about the radio sounding funny, no rear seats, the noise increase, the seats not having enough adjustment, the seats being too hard, the ride being too hard, the steering too much force yada yada yada...

Porsche has given up trying to make a real sports car for this fickle market, they don't really have to since they sell all the cars they can build to a market that, for the most part, doesn't demand more than "Porsche" written on it anyway.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:10 PM
frayed
Race Car

cupcar, but that market is not just the US, since the ROW cars aren't notably different. Sure, we got boned on the sunroof and content deleted on the RS, but they are the same cars really. Both cars, the 3 and RS are bloated.

Whether or not Porsche is screwing with the numbers doesn't bother me nearly as much as their failure to build the RS as it should be. I mean, for chrisakes, they are only making 1000 total, 229 in the US. Certainly they would have sold the ltw versions, creating even more of a halo effect for the rest of the lineup, so their ability to sell such a car cannot be the reason.

Ignoring speed and laptimes for a moment, light weight is good for one primary reason: simply puit ltw cars are more fun. Dealers want to get a 20k, 30k premium for the RS? Bring it in sub 3000lbs. I'd pony up.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:12 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I couldn't agree more, or at least make it more like the RS cars of the past.

Alas, if they did this today there would be bitches about the radio sounding funny, no rear seats, the noise increase, the seats not having enough adjustment, the seats being too hard, the ride being too hard, the steering too much force yada yada yada...

Porsche has given up trying to make a real sports car for this fickle market, they don't really have to since they sell all the cars they can build to a market that, for the most part, doesn't demand more than "Porsche" written on it anyway.

There are many things and many differen markets that have changed the way a Porsche looks or sounds.

Bumper height legislation in the US has affected the way the rear and front end of the car looks. Pedestrian impact legislation in Europe also has or will be changing it. The reason Porsche has adopted such quiet exhausts first with the 996 and now with the 997 (although they have made the PSE with a swtich available) was for the Swiss market. Europe is particularly bad for noise pollution, on some autobahn's in austria they are using new tarmac/asphalt that absorbs more road noise than standard asphalt.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
That is probably true...why doesn't Porsche offer it that way...and I know all about the broader spectrum of potential owners.

Porsche can make these cars lighter if they only really wanted to.

Why not Carbon Fiber roof (like BMW M6), why not lighter door inserts, why not lighter carpeting, why not no sunroof (like in the RS), why not less number of speakers, why not lighter wheels, why not lighter (re: aluminium) body panels???

You get the point. Porsche can do this!

After all it is a specialty "track oriented" model...isn't it? At least do it with the RS...

Like I've said before, if Porsche won't do it, I guess I'll have to...

Quick Reply: 997 GT3/GT3 RS Weight Thread