Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PCCBs Yes or No on a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:37 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts
Default PCCBs Yes or No on a GT3?

I ordered PCCBs for an April build on a GT3. I can still make changes. I ordered PCCBs for resale purpose. I assumed the next buyer would want the PCCBs and the car would be easier to resell. I'll be keeping the car a year or less. Did I do the correct thing in ordering the PCCBs? I'm asking this question because I see some people are ordering their GT3 RS without the PCCBs. I thought PCCBs would be must have especially on the RS let alone a GT3?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

You are going to lose your *** on pccbs on resale.You will not see any of that 8k on resale.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an important decision.

The new 997 GT3 was design and developed around PCCBs, the potential benefits are wide ranging, and the latest generation appear to deliver.

Over 60% of buyers have chosen them, and for a lot of buyers they are becoming 'must haves'.

Remember, it's much cheaper to spec them and regret it (ie replacing them with steels), than to not spec them and regret it (ie adding them later).

Perhaps if you are intending to use the car extensively on track, where brakes are a regular consumable, steels might be better.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:32 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
You are going to lose your *** on pccbs on resale.You will not see any of that 8k on resale.
And what evidence do u have to back that statement???
Old 02-10-2007, 05:35 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n2cars
I ordered PCCBs for an April build on a GT3. I can still make changes. I ordered PCCBs for resale purpose. I assumed the next buyer would want the PCCBs and the car would be easier to resell. I'll be keeping the car a year or less. Did I do the correct thing in ordering the PCCBs? I'm asking this question because I see some people are ordering their GT3 RS without the PCCBs. I thought PCCBs would be must have especially on the RS let alone a GT3?
There are quite a few, if not contentious, threads on this subject. Do a search and then evaluate. I for one 'am a big fan of PCCBs...love their performance and other side benefits...and will not buy another car, any car, without ceramic brakes.

Of course there are a lot of naysayers but I give PCCBs
Old 02-10-2007, 05:49 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

You have a couple of options.

First get standard brakes which are great, maybe you gives you an unsprung weight disadvantage. But most likely you will never notice.

Second you can get PCCB, get equal or better braking, have the unsprung weight advantage. Only downside is $8K up front and if you need to replace rotors they will be more than steel (maybe a lot more).

Third - get standard brakes, take them off when car is new and replace with Brembo GTR brakes which are as light as PCCB. Cost is around $12K, but you can sell your stock brakes for $3K to $4k and end up about the same place as PCCP, but get superior brakes.

All that being said, if you are goint to the track a lot do 1 or 3 and if you go to the track a few times a year, go with PCCP.

JCM
Old 02-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Originally Posted by BobbyC
There are quite a few, if not contentious, threads on this subject. Do a search and then evaluate. I for one 'am a big fan of PCCBs...love their performance and other side benefits...and will not buy another car, any car, without ceramic brakes.

Of course there are a lot of naysayers but I give PCCBs
I'm with you on this. If you are a convert, you will find them absolutely awesome on the new GT3.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:00 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

PCCB are awesome. Do not hesitate... If $$ is no issue to you, get them.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:02 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mad Manx
I'm with you on this. If you are a convert, you will find them absolutely awesome on the new GT3.
Yes, I'm more than a convert. Have used the Gen2 PCCBs for over 2 years and 30k miles, street & track, on a pig heavy AWD Turbo S...and I can attest I've never experienced brake fade under any condition. The darn thing sheds speed as fast your want it to.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:19 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
The darn thing sheds speed as fast your want it to.
Ditto....
Old 02-10-2007, 06:25 PM
cladd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Just do it. There is no down side. If it's your dream car, who cares abour resale value of the option.

PS they are AMAZING!!!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 06:28 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They are really AMAZING
Old 02-10-2007, 06:30 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not get an RS without them.

and they actually do stop better to boot.

My logic is exactly opposite of supercup. On the street or on the track you'll never regret the best brakes you can buy, and neither will the fellow who buys the car from you.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:38 PM
frayed
Race Car

I went back and forth and back and forth. And hell, I even have pretty good data on them, since I had PCCBs on a prior car. Finally, I settled on I spec'ing them, taking somewhat a leap of faith that pag got them right this time around.

However, if I knew I'd only have the car for a year, I'd go with steel. Historically, with a few exceptions, options generally don't hold a lot of value come resale time. OTOH, if the PCCBs prove to be the real deal, then they could morph into a must have option. But, that will likely not be known for quite some time.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:23 PM
MagicMtnDan
Intermediate

I'd like to get on your list for the purchase of your car in a year. Anyone else ahead of me?

Quick Reply: PCCBs Yes or No on a GT3?