Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Leather in an RS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007 | 02:15 AM
street
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Leather in an RS?

Need to spec my car in the next few weeks. Went full lea on my 996 GT3 and never regretted. Most of the pix posted (w/ exception of a UK car) show no lea. I saw a GT3 w/ lea, like the stitching and the alcantara doors. Opinions?
Old 02-10-2007 | 02:29 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've posted pics of mine with full leather. Worthwhile, but expensive.
Old 02-10-2007 | 03:00 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

I ordered my RS with full leather. I think it really upgrades the look of the interior. It only weighs 8 lbs, so the weight penalty is minimul.

JCM
Old 02-10-2007 | 03:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,894 Likes on 2,410 Posts

i MAY have considered full leather if it didnt have the additonal alcantara and no french stitching.
Old 02-10-2007 | 06:56 AM
Throttlesteerer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please don't. After all the RS wants to be a purer car than others, right. Loading it up with limo features like leather, satnav etc. takes away from that experience.
I can tell from experience as I started out with a full leather 996 GT3. Loved the car, tracked it more and more and the desire for a purer cabin feel grew bigger.
I think it depends on the use. If it is a streettool for you, well then maybe. But if you think track when you look at the car, then it can't be naked enough in terms of look and options.
I already feel guilty for to much chi-chi as I have ordered the painted rear console (to look more bare metal together with the cage) for my 997RS coming this month.
Old 02-10-2007 | 01:47 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Less is better on the RS. I know my signature below shows 996 leather but that is another story.
Old 02-10-2007 | 03:58 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered my RS with full leather and the thick steering wheel in leather, and no other interior options. I like the looks, durability, feel and smell of the leather to "alacantra".
Old 02-10-2007 | 04:32 PM
mowblowgo
Advanced

IMO, it is a track car, not a race car. Full leather is a nice feel. I agree, too much "stuff" clutters the car's intention but leather seems OK.
Old 02-10-2007 | 04:36 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Do you really want to have to maintain that leather dash cover? It gets a lot of sun.

In my book, partial leathet for the GT3.
Old 02-10-2007 | 05:38 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After a year or two of tracking you'd probably want to rip out the whole interior anyway...
Old 02-14-2007 | 02:56 AM
street
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Just saw a GT3 in the showroom w/ std interior. Comparing to one w/ full lea, the alcantara on console box, doors, and door handles, gotta say the std int doesn't do it for me.
Old 02-14-2007 | 08:51 AM
JFT
Instructor

I can see that people are still confused about the full leather option on the GT3/RS. The full leather option does NOT replace alcantara anywhere. The full leather option covers plastics (on dash, A-pillar, etc.). The only place you can replace alcantara for leather if you prefer is the steering wheel.
Old 02-14-2007 | 11:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,894 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by JFT
I can see that people are still confused about the full leather option on the GT3/RS. The full leather option does NOT replace alcantara anywhere. The full leather option covers plastics (on dash, A-pillar, etc.). The only place you can replace alcantara for leather if you prefer is the steering wheel.
yes, and let me add a bit more.

full leather: you get leather just about everywhere (not the little stuff like vent slats and such, that's yet another package).

the door panels inserts and center console box lid are both alcantara in the full leatehr car. these pcs are plastic/vinyl in non full leather cars. there are no other choice for these pcs. you either have full leather and get alcantara there or you get non full leahter and have plastic there.

roof is ALWAYS alcantara.

steering wheel can be alcantara or leather, has nothing to do with full leather or not. you can order the str in any combination with the int. full or not full lealther.

many p car sales ppl do not understand the ordering guide. it takes about a month of intensive research when one first sees the ordering guide. and i dont think most sales guys got that kind of patience.

hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2007 | 01:38 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I ordered full leather on my RS as I did on my 996GT3.
Plain and simply the interior is completely JUNK without the full leather.

Let's face it, you bought the car for yourself. 80% of the time your view is going to be from the cockpit, NOT from the sidewalk. As a driver you won't be able to really take in and appreciate the exterior looks of the RS. So you may as well make the place where you are spending most of your time look great, and thats why I always order full leather. I even got a deviating stich in orange along the top of the dash that will look cool.

My car is silver with orange. I ordered full leather with that single deviated stitch in orange and the centre console painted in body colour (silver). So what, it cost me $5k for the lot but it's my car.

Why in the world would anyone here give themselves the "outhouse" view while your passers-by have the "penthouse" view? No thanks.
Old 02-14-2007 | 05:06 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

If $$ is no concern, get full leather. Much better interiors than std plastic.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Leather in an RS?