New GT3 Configured, Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 03:27 PM
HMGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GT3 Configured, Help

Hey Guys,

I’ve almost finalized my order for a 997 GT3. I would really appreciate your input in how I’ve had my car configured. My last car was an Atlas Grey 996 GT3; this time around I've gone with a more sporty Guards Red color rather than a sedate Grey.
My biggest worry is the color, should I go with a solid color or a metallic???
Here’s how she’s configured
Please tell me if I've missed anything

Exterior: Guards Red
Interior: Black

Bixenon light
Adaptive sport seats
Instrumental dials in guards red
Seat belt in red
Fire extinguisher
Porsche crest embossed on head rest
Door finishers in leather
Sport chrono package
Sound package plus
Automatically dimming interior/exterior mirrors
Colored wheel caps
Door entry guards in carbon
Tire pressure monitoring system
Leather package switch panel
Rear section of centre console in leather
PCM
Wheels to be painted free of charge
Telephone Module

Your input is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2007, 04:06 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I've heard the red instruments are difficult to read.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, it sounds as though you are building a city cruiser so when it comes to color, get a color that you are going to love EVERYDAY driving this car. I have speed yellow and love it but for the track not the street. I do NOT enjoy all the crap that comes with driving a yellow car around town.

In the end, you need to order the color that YOU want not what others suggest.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:13 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I've heard the red instruments are difficult to read.
I can atest to that. I had red dials on my Cayman and could not read them in the daylight. I will never get them again.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:17 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote against the sport chrono. It does nothing useful as far as I can tell.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:48 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes- Guards Red
No- Sport Chrono
TPMS std in US...where are you from?
Who paints wheels for free????
Old 01-24-2007, 04:57 PM
HMGT3
Intermediate

Hey guys,
Thanks for your replies. If the red gauges are that bad, I’ll cancel them. As far as the car being a cruising car, then yeah that’s exactly the configuration I was going for, we don’t have a track here or a semblance there of.
The sport chrono is added solely for resale value, no cars come to this part of the world without the sport chrono or the phone that’s why I've added them.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HMGT3
As far as the car being a cruising car, then yeah that’s exactly the configuration I was going for
Nothing wrong with that. Enjoy it!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:16 PM
HMGT3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MJones
TPMS std in US...where are you from?
Who paints wheels for free????
In Oman, a country in the Persian Gulf, the wheels and the gt3 badge are the only standard equipment. As far as the painting for free, well the price Porsche asks for painting the wheel is ridiculous so the dealer offered to do that, they did it for my 996 GT3 and they do great work. He threw it in for free.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Personally, I'd ditch the Sports Chrono and the Adaptive Sports Seats, and add PCCBs and yellow detailing (not red).
Old 01-24-2007, 11:59 PM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HMGT3
In Oman, a country in the Persian Gulf, the wheels and the gt3 badge are the only standard equipment. As far as the painting for free, well the price Porsche asks for painting the wheel is ridiculous so the dealer offered to do that, they did it for my 996 GT3 and they do great work. He threw it in for free.
You can drive to Dubai, then. It should only be about 3 to 4 hours in the GT3 depending on how much you wait at the border. And we have a great track here!

I know I will take my GT3 to Oman for a weekend, probably even during the break in period.

How long have you been there? The locals and all the maps in the region like to call it the Arabian Gulf, btw.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Wolfgang_K
Advanced

I think the guards red is a great choice. I drove a 996 C2 in black before and swapped it a few months ago for a red 996GT3. No regrets....

BTW: I visited the Porsche dealer in Muskat when I was in vacation in Oman last year. A great country!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:19 PM
HMGT3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
You can drive to Dubai, then. It should only be about 3 to 4 hours in the GT3 depending on how much you wait at the border. And we have a great track here!

I know I will take my GT3 to Oman for a weekend, probably even during the break in period.

How long have you been there? The locals and all the maps in the region like to call it the Arabian Gulf, btw.
I go to Dubai all the time, in fact just got back, it’s approximately three and half hours, with all the speed camera on Omani roads you really can’t speed much.
I love the track in Dubai and will try and attend some track events there.
Btw I am a local, I’ve always referred to it as Persian Gulf, but you’re right it’s Arabian Gulf.

Enjoy Oman when you get here.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:26 PM
HMGT3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wolfgang_K
I think the guards red is a great choice. I drove a 996 C2 in black before and swapped it a few months ago for a red 996GT3. No regrets....

BTW: I visited the Porsche dealer in Muskat when I was in vacation in Oman last year. A great country!
Thanks, it is a nice country; quite beautiful if you’re passion is nature. The owner of the Porsche dealership is a nice guy, a friend in fact.
The dealership in Oman was allocated just two GT3s for the whole of 2007, that’s why I’m still not sure if my car will be a 2007 or a 2008.

One more question for all of you, for a country with a very mild winter are heated seats worth it??

Thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 03:40 PM
LastGT3
Racer

How's a GT3 in ANY configuration a cruising car ?- IT IS a car you a cruise to track in any configuration unless you go with the the lift kit and Duelly option. (they also have a sepcial rally only skid plate package if look in the german lit).

Frankly, it looks like you have a nicely optioned GT3 for someone who understands that any car must be driven to be enjoyed - it looks like you have enjoyed optioning it out.

Colour...whell I have a Steel grey sports car and and SY 2005 GT3 - they have their benefits. Personally, I like metallic in any base hue so I wished I had a Pearl SY GT3 - lights do wonderfull things with metallic. For a car that would be parked in a parking lot...I'd go white or a metallic tone.
Then again, if you do not give a hoot, just go with a colour you always wanted - Guards red looks great on the 997s in general and I think will look great in a 997 GT3 - soon to be your 997GT3!.

Quick Reply: New GT3 Configured, Help