Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

1st Trackday in the RS today !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:10 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Trackday in the RS today !!!

Well where do i start

I was at Silvertone today, in my Orange RS, and with a friend who has a Black one.
The day started very damp, and to say i was a little nervous, was an understatement

Not getting off to a good start, i locked my keys in the car (still trying to figure out how this happened though ?)

Ventured out on track, and it was very wet and greasy, i had the PASM on Soft, as i thought this should suit a wet track better, but the sport button was 'on'

The car felt very planted, and neutral, on slow greasy turns, the car just drifted wide until the grip came back, then ease on the power again.

I started building up speed as the track started slowly to dry up, but even so, i was totally amazed at how much grip these tyres had in such fowl conditions, especially under braking....

I had a que of people wanting pas laps from me, so i have done a lot of laps today, which really helped build confidence in the car, and as the track started to really dry out, i put the PASM on 'hard' and really started to push on.

The car surpassed my expectations, it is so stable under braking, it defies physics, but the biggest step forward from the 996 for me, is the rear stability, there is just no drama, just pure clear feedback as to what the car is doing.

Considering the car still has the standard GEO settings, i was shocked at how much cornering grip the car had, there is VERY little body roll, especially in 'Hard' mode.

PCCB's are epic, and totally fade free, they are very powerful, but even so, and in these greasy conditions, there is a LOT less drame from the ABS, i think there is more lock given when in sport mode ??, either way, they are a lot less intrusive.

All in all, very very happy with the car, and can't wait to get a track set up, to really see the cars full potential.

Last edited by GlennMc; 01-13-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,099 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Nice report! Congrats on a sweet car!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great report ... A+ on adding some pics
Old 01-13-2007, 01:27 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,359 Likes on 630 Posts

sooooooooo jealous!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:37 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Fantastic! Great looking car. Glad to see that you're using it for what it was built to do.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:38 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glen, do you know what your scrutineering sound check level was?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:38 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Niiice! Dig the orange scheme.
And tracking a brand new RS in the wet the first time out.... I would have been worried too But I guess you UK guys gotta get used to that.

Interesting you got to test in damp to dry conditions. Did you use T/C the whole time or did you experiment with it on/off?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:56 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Glen, do you know what your scrutineering sound check level was?
That was one of the few tracks in the UK with no noise restriction, so i was loud and proud today
Old 01-13-2007, 01:57 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by mjb
Niiice! Dig the orange scheme.
And tracking a brand new RS in the wet the first time out.... I would have been worried too But I guess you UK guys gotta get used to that.

Interesting you got to test in damp to dry conditions. Did you use T/C the whole time or did you experiment with it on/off?

The TC saved my *** early on in the day, when i was starting to get a bit over confident

The car still slid somewhat, but it was very controllable....

The car still hasn't covered 1000miles yet, so still running her in

G.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:20 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glenn, nice write up. How did the rear fender flairs make out wrt road debris?
can you be more descriptive on how the TC came on and its responce if possible?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:45 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by leif997
Glenn, nice write up. How did the rear fender flairs make out wrt road debris?
can you be more descriptive on how the TC came on and its responce if possible?
I've had the car Covered in 3M paintshiled, inc whole front end of car, they put some sections to protect the areas you refer to, and also around the rear of the arches to stop the chips.

My last GT3 got hammered on the arches

The TC moment was quick, i was comming out of a slow right hander, and onto a straight, it was wet and greasy, and i think i had too much power on for before i had unwound the lock (for the conditions)

The wheels spun, and the car stepped out a bit, but was easily corrected with some corrective lock, you felt the power get cut down during this, to help regain traction, but not so much that unsettled the car further..

EPIC !!

G.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:55 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Great write up!! Thanks!!
Old 01-13-2007, 03:44 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad to see the Euro cars being tracked - sadly most US cars won't...
Old 01-13-2007, 04:18 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for this excellent write-up.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a lot of fun and having another one the same there makes it all the more fun.
Does the car have Sport Cups or Corsas? What pressures did you use?
When the TC came on, did the lamp flash/blink or just come on solid?
I think with "Sport" on, aside from the noise and mid-range torque, it stiffens the dampers, which also, as their name suggests, tend to adapt over time, so more aggressive driving will increase the damper stiffness.
What are the sway settings?
The car felt very planted, and neutral, on slow greasy turns, the car just drifted wide until the grip came back, then ease on the power again.
I presume you really had quite a lot of understeer based on the quote, above, and from my experiences in the GT3. While I think PASM in Sport mode is a little too stiff, it helped with understeer. Without a crew at the track, you're not going to be able to set up a 911 to handle a track going from damp to dry.
I haven't read anything about ABS having different thresholds for various switch settings -- that would be great in a way, but I think ABS is always a sort of threshold algorithm and it will do better on smooth track surfaces versus bumpy streets at lower speeds without being "told." I'd like to think the ABS will always let the driver go as close to the threshold of traction as possible.
I found myself running just a tad too deep in the 996 and getting a gentle, grinding reminder of the correct brake marker, while the 997 always seemed to have more. I had to be completely over the top to get the ABS to come on the 997 and I felt like it was not good for new ceramics to have to dissipate that much heat. But I wanted to find the limit (after all, it's probably the only limit of the 997 I'll ever reach ... )

Thanks for the pics, too.

Quick Reply: 1st Trackday in the RS today !!!