-1.7 -2.2 camber
.22 / .14 toe

RR (before/after)
-1.8 / -2.4 camber
0.2 / 0.14 toe

Rear (before/after)
0.42 / 0.28 total toe
0.01 / 0.00 thrust angle

- I'm not exactly happy that the tech didn't work harder to even out the L / R camber

- As I am new to the Porsche world, but having read a little on rennlist about the 996gt3, I can assume after speaking with the tech that the 997gt3 will also require one of the 3 discussed methods ofgetting more than negative 1.7 to the front tires

- I do find it funny that Porsche states specs for the "track" alignment in the manual that actually cannot be achieved (the service manager gave be the legal bs about the strut can't be rotated by them or the holes can't be made bigger at the porsche shop)

- I had mentioned the other day that one of the reasons that I took the car in was that I didn't like the way the car reacted mid corner when I hit some bumps but the stock alignment seems like it was fine

Last edited by 997gt3north; 01-09-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:31 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- good to see the factory alignment, while conservative, wasn't F'd up like on so many 996 GT3s

- sounds like you have a mod unfriendly dealer. some are, some are a bit more liberal

- have heard a few people now complaining about mid corner bumpsteer
Old 01-09-2007, 07:48 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- also, when the tech drove the car around to the front of the service area, I asked him what the current sway bar settings were, he couldn't remember so he lay down on the ground and felt around

His answer

Front Bar has 4 holes and it is set to 2nd softest

Rear Bar has 3 holes - he said it was set to the hardest???? - I asked again and he said it was set to the inner most setting???

This is funny as I would have thought that the factory would have set up the rear with the ability to adjust more oversteer in??? - maybe maybe he got it backwards??

Can anyone else climb under their car and confirm these setting?

If all the above is true, it only leaves 1 swaybar softer notch in the front to likely dial out some of the factory understeer that is dialed in using the sway bars (yes there are other ways)

Personally I think they should have had 5 settings and placed the factory position in the middle to give you room both ways to adjust
Old 01-09-2007, 11:02 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- I do find it funny that Porsche states specs for the "track" alignment in the manual that actually cannot be achieved (the service manager gave be the legal bs about the strut can't be rotated by them or the holes can't be made bigger at the porsche shop)
my shop had no problem setting the front camber at 2.0
Old 01-09-2007, 11:33 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- can you post up your alignment specs from your shop - thx
Old 01-09-2007, 11:52 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

997gt3north; give your location, no doubt someone in your area will be able to recommend to good shop.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:23 AM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- can you post up your alignment specs from your shop - thx
I had them set it to the track specs in the manual.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to another shop or dealer. They're idiots.

I just aligned the 997 GT3 to the "race" specs without drama. The car comes with a single 5mm shim and can be shimmed out to the spec without turning the strut top.

By the way, a little cross camber is not good, but at least they were honest.

Your shop should have set the ride height without your chosen driver weight in the car and a half tank (or whatever you desire, but I believe DIN is a half load.) Perhaps if the car was significantly too high (mine was a little low) it might not make camber, but I really doubt it.

There's no magic to PASM in this case, just work as normal, there's no electronics to tweak.

As for sways, the street and race settings are the same, 3 of 3 in the rear (full stiff) and 2 of 5 in the front.

I'm surprised to find the 7 has 3 settings in the rear vs the 6 having 4.

Given the understeer I'm experiencing, I expect to get the RSR part numbers and go with those. Maybe some Heim joint tie rods for toe and camber in the rear. Running PASM in "Sport" helped to reduce total roll stiffness and helped with the understeer -- that's not always what you'd expect unless you think in terms of the car running springs that are a bit light for the job leading to too much work for the anti-roll bars. I'm looking forward to a real GT3 handling upgrade. These primitive "PASM" spring kits aren't going to chance the tune, they just change the

Quick Reply: got the car aligned today ...