Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

got 500miles on the car and started to push it today ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 09:25 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default got 500miles on the car and started to push it today ...

- my other track / daily driver is a 450whp 4 wheel dr twin turbo Audi S4 that has many upgrades including an Ohlin tripple adj suspension so these comments should be taken with this in mind:

- i did some 80 - 90 mph corners today that hit bumps during the corner - the car did not not take the bumps anywhere near as well as my S4 with the Ohlins

- because of what happened today, I'm going to take the car in and get the track allignment settup put on the car as I do not want to judge the car until I know what allignment is currently on the car but it did not inspire confidence when I started to push it with the current setup when the car got upset mid corner

- while my S4 is faster in a straight line, laps Watkins at 2:15 at 3700#, I am falling in love with this GT3 - but I know that I am going to have to become a way better driver to push the GT3 to the limit

- I'm loving the brakes (pccb)

- if I could re-do the purchase, I would have gotten the alcantara wheel / and or wish the leather wheel was a little wider

- the 4 wheel real time tire pressure monitor is excellent - I use it all the time and it will be incredibley useful at the track

- I'm assuming you didn't buy a GT3 for a good sound system so it won't disappoint you that it sucks (they should have sold it without the system to save the weight imo)

- the seating position is excellent in the car - you would have to be 6'11" to have an issue with a helmet and the sunroof (I would have ordered it without)

- you have to push the sport button when you enter the car - you just have to - exhaust sound is amazing

- update on what I thought was a non-working parking brake - unlike every other car I have owned, the first 4/5 clicks do nothing but the next 2/3 do work - I did not get it adjusted once the mechanic told me to hit the gym and just pull it the last few clicks
Old 01-06-2007, 10:07 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice update.

Wheel: The XPA option seems a little underwhelming to me after sitting in a GT3 with the leather wheel, and was thinking of switching back to alcantara.

2.15 at the Glen in a street car is hauling azz.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:36 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great update! thanks...
Old 01-07-2007, 02:45 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- my other track / daily driver is a 450whp 4 wheel dr twin turbo Audi S4 that has many upgrades including an Ohlin tripple adj suspension so these comments should be taken with this in mind:

- i did some 80 - 90 mph corners today that hit bumps during the corner - the car did not not take the bumps anywhere near as well as my S4 with the Ohlins

- because of what happened today, I'm going to take the car in and get the track allignment settup put on the car as I do not want to judge the car until I know what allignment is currently on the car but it did not inspire confidence when I started to push it with the current setup when the car got upset mid corner

- while my S4 is faster in a straight line, laps Watkins at 2:15 at 3700#, I am falling in love with this GT3 - but I know that I am going to have to become a way better driver to push the GT3 to the limit

- I'm loving the brakes (pccb)

- if I could re-do the purchase, I would have gotten the alcantara wheel / and or wish the leather wheel was a little wider

- the 4 wheel real time tire pressure monitor is excellent - I use it all the time and it will be incredibley useful at the track

- I'm assuming you didn't buy a GT3 for a good sound system so it won't disappoint you that it sucks (they should have sold it without the system to save the weight imo)

- the seating position is excellent in the car - you would have to be 6'11" to have an issue with a helmet and the sunroof (I would have ordered it without)

- you have to push the sport button when you enter the car - you just have to - exhaust sound is amazing

- update on what I thought was a non-working parking brake - unlike every other car I have owned, the first 4/5 clicks do nothing but the next 2/3 do work - I did not get it adjusted once the mechanic told me to hit the gym and just pull it the last few clicks
The parking brake on my 997 GT3 works "normally." This is not the first post of something having their park brake "fail." (The post about the dyno mentioned it too.)

Strange that PASM "remembers" and the Sport exhaust button doesn't. But driving without the Sport button sounds like you're in the 996 GT3 ... or a 2.5l Boxster ... etc. : )

Agreed the audio system is great for NPR but otherwise junk and makes Midnight Oil sound more like Afternoon Soy.

The TPC (tire pressure) has its weaknesses. (You've had the GT3 to the track with less than 500 miles?) But it is interesting to watch. It seems to be out by 0.5 to 1.0 lb variably (tested against an accurate gauge on the valve.)

A "re-purchase" is a great thing. You can off-load the first one and dial in the second one given what you learn. My second one arrives in April. : )

I'm not clear on your comments about the steering wheel. You got a leather wheel instead of the Alcantara? I find the Alcantara/Suede to be just right, but the "thick" wheel in the 996 is probably a little better fit. I prefer the sense and grip of the Alcantara/Suede.

I'm 6'1" and I think I'll just barely fit with a seat in a "proper" driving prosition. Drivers over 6'1" should consult their Recaro supplier for a shell seat.

I'm loving PCCB too. It's like dating a girl who's just plain too hot for you. : )

Even with "450hp" the S4 would have to weigh in at 3000lb to be in the game. It would take a lot for an S4 to stay in touch with the 996 GT3 on the track let alone the 997.

Both the 996 and 997 tend to communicate a lot of activity over road surface changes. The 6 is almost impossible to drive out of the box and the factory delivers each car with a different and random alignment. Tweaked to the "circuit" settings (Kussmaul numbers) it's a kitten. The 7 arrives with random numbers (at least on mine and the one car I drove prior to mine) but is ready to drive. Once adjusted to the "circuit" settings, it wakes up and feels a lot more like it's on its toes. The somewhat dull feeling of the default factory settings leads to a send the rear of the car is well planted. It's not, it's just hard to feel it. Once it's dialed in to the circuit settings, you can fell the rear end just like a 993.

Ohlins are great. I wish they were "affordable" for the 911. The PASM dampers on the 997 GT3 just aren't up to the task. I'm getting used to their quirky habits on the street -- they're better than the junk on the 996 GT3 -- but I'm still not impressed that a $100K+ car has such poor dampers and the springs seems a little light too. Hopefully on the track it will come together.

Which tracks have you driven with the 997 GT3?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:21 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Öhlin shocks and Hyperco springs are the ne plus ultra of suspension systems. many Audi's, and I suspect yours is amongst them, have had their suspension upgraded by Stasis Engineering. These people know what they are doing. Even a top Porsche shop like Farnbacher Loles uses them.

You will be pleased to know that Öhlins make a suspension package for the GT3. You might like to discuss this option with Cary Eisenlohr and Paul Lambert.

R+C
Old 01-07-2007, 09:37 AM
gerkebi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You've had the GT3 to the track with less than 500 miles?
"It will be incredibly useful at the track."

Thanks for the great report, North.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carrera GT - where can one get hold of the 997GT3 "Circuit" suspension settings?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:09 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Öhlin shocks and Hyperco springs are the ne plus ultra of suspension systems. many Audi's, and I suspect yours is amongst them, have had their suspension upgraded by Stasis Engineering. These people know what they are doing. Even a top Porsche shop like Farnbacher Loles uses them.

You will be pleased to know that Öhlins make a suspension package for the GT3. You might like to discuss this option with Cary Eisenlohr and Paul Lambert.

R+C
Do the electronics flip out when you defang PASM for ohlins/jrz/moton etc ?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by frayed
Do the electronics flip out when you defang PASM for ohlins/jrz/moton etc ?

Not when the mods are made by a proper engineer.

Most people know that the GT3 is faster round the Nürburgring with the suspension at the soft setting.

On the firm setting at speed (above 150 mph), cracks and ridges in the pavement set the car leaping all over the place on the firm setting.

If you are going to Sebring, ask the engineers how they are setting up the suspension, i think you may be surprised how soft they try and set it.

It wouldnt be too difficult to have the ADL change the suspension settings for different parts of the track, its just illegal!

R+C
Old 01-07-2007, 11:33 AM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Carrera GT - where can one get hold of the 997GT3 "Circuit" suspension settings?
page 247 of the manual has the track settings
Old 01-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C4S

Originally Posted by grussell
page 247 of the manual has the track settings
Thanks for the follow-up, sorry I didn't see the question for myself.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

The parking brake on my 997 GT3 works "normally." This is not the first post of something having their park brake "fail." (The post about the dyno mentioned it too.)

Strange that PASM "remembers" and the Sport exhaust button doesn't. But driving without the Sport button sounds like you're in the 996 GT3 ... or a 2.5l Boxster ... etc. : )

Agreed the audio system is great for NPR but otherwise junk and makes Midnight Oil sound more like Afternoon Soy.

The TPC (tire pressure) has its weaknesses. (You've had the GT3 to the track with less than 500 miles?) But it is interesting to watch. It seems to be out by 0.5 to 1.0 lb variably (tested against an accurate gauge on the valve.)

A "re-purchase" is a great thing. You can off-load the first one and dial in the second one given what you learn. My second one arrives in April. : )

I'm not clear on your comments about the steering wheel. You got a leather wheel instead of the Alcantara? I find the Alcantara/Suede to be just right, but the "thick" wheel in the 996 is probably a little better fit. I prefer the sense and grip of the Alcantara/Suede.

I'm 6'1" and I think I'll just barely fit with a seat in a "proper" driving prosition. Drivers over 6'1" should consult their Recaro supplier for a shell seat.

I'm loving PCCB too. It's like dating a girl who's just plain too hot for you. : )

Even with "450hp" the S4 would have to weigh in at 3000lb to be in the game. It would take a lot for an S4 to stay in touch with the 996 GT3 on the track let alone the 997.

Both the 996 and 997 tend to communicate a lot of activity over road surface changes. The 6 is almost impossible to drive out of the box and the factory delivers each car with a different and random alignment. Tweaked to the "circuit" settings (Kussmaul numbers) it's a kitten. The 7 arrives with random numbers (at least on mine and the one car I drove prior to mine) but is ready to drive. Once adjusted to the "circuit" settings, it wakes up and feels a lot more like it's on its toes. The somewhat dull feeling of the default factory settings leads to a send the rear of the car is well planted. It's not, it's just hard to feel it. Once it's dialed in to the circuit settings, you can fell the rear end just like a 993.

Ohlins are great. I wish they were "affordable" for the 911. The PASM dampers on the 997 GT3 just aren't up to the task. I'm getting used to their quirky habits on the street -- they're better than the junk on the 996 GT3 -- but I'm still not impressed that a $100K+ car has such poor dampers and the springs seems a little light too. Hopefully on the track it will come together.

Which tracks have you driven with the 997 GT3?
I'm still curious to hear from others tracking their 997 GT3s in these early days.

I want to revise (actually withdraw) my earlier critcism of PASM. I need to put in some more miles before making any judgement, subjective or not. Yesterday I realised that PASM in "Sport" mode works well at Laguna when the car's driven harder.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I'm still curious to hear from others tracking their 997 GT3s in these early days.

I want to revise (actually withdraw) my earlier critcism of PASM. I need to put in some more miles before making any judgement, subjective or not. Yesterday I realised that PASM in "Sport" mode works well at Laguna when the car's driven harder.
though i haven't driven 996gt3 for a while, i have put close to 10k track miles on there. after riding with adam, my opionion of pasm (with understeering dialed out) is far superior than oem 996gt3. it keeps the car on the pavement. 996gt3 is skittish. you dont get max grip, the dampers aren't well damped, rebound is abrupt.

now compared to moton'd GT3, it's a harder decision to make. i need to ride with adam more
Old 01-10-2007, 01:55 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i need to ride with adam more
I knew a girl like that once.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:00 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
though i haven't driven 996gt3 for a while, i have put close to 10k track miles on there. after riding with adam, my opionion of pasm (with understeering dialed out) is far superior than oem 996gt3. it keeps the car on the pavement. 996gt3 is skittish. you dont get max grip, the dampers aren't well damped, rebound is abrupt.

now compared to moton'd GT3, it's a harder decision to make. i need to ride with adam more
I should say, full credit to the Moot, he was the passenger that suggested "Have you tried that button?" when I commented on the progressive understeer issue ... he was right.

Quick Reply: got 500miles on the car and started to push it today ...