Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Not your typical newbie intro (new GT3 pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:46 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
when ya goin ta PDE, walker?
i've paid but not scheduled.
maybe we can schedule the same time!
jeff
I keep forgetting to mention that. I signed up a few days back for the March 1-2 class. It was either that or in June, & I want to go ASAP.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:55 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frayed
Thanks for the write up.

On the spacer issue, I thought that spacers are used b/c in a few places (I think Japan) their DOT regs don't allow the wheels to sit as far outboard. Could be mistaken though. Purely a cost saving measure to use the same set of wheels worldwide.
I'm sure they did it so save $$$. They should have made some wheels with the right offset though. As I said, wheel spacers on any car from the factory is lame. Seriously lame on a $100,000+ car. Until this car, I'd never even heard of a car that came with wheel spacers from the factory.

Someone in Germany had to be drunk to come up with that idea.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:59 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

THat's a great story - congratulations!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Ive done both and they are fun for the basics but a bit sedate if you have some experience on the track. On the other hand it was nice to drive and start to feel the how the car works while getting feedback from the instructors. At the track, Im usually 8-9/10... Anyway, its an awesome experience, I just wish they had more advanced classes that would adjust to the drivers skill level....
Old 01-14-2007, 08:12 PM
ringmeister
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sweet car, looks great in black.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Two words.....Beautiful!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Jeff, any chance of 'shopping black wheels on that side shot, please?
hope walker doesnt mind!?
did a grey whl lip & mirrors.
oh! and ceramic yellow calipers.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Walker, how about another update? How do you like the thicker steering wheel? Hit 8500 yet???
Old 01-23-2007, 10:44 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Not at all, I was hoping to see some after pics.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. Black wheels and a PCCB upgrade. Nice!

But maybe I'm not ready for that much Darth Vader.

Black is on my short list.

Still not sure about the various greys.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:01 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Trj
Walker, how about another update? How do you like the thicker steering wheel? Hit 8500 yet???
Here's a mini update before Daytona:

Today I pulled into the dealer with exactly 2000 miles, & had the oil changed.

Ran it up to 8200 twice in first & second gear. Damn that's nice!

Got the Champion Motorsport RG5 wheels with Michelin PS2's (stock sizes) on last Thursday. Never had a mesh style wheel before, I can see they're going to suck at cleaning time. Other than that, I love 'em! I will take some new pics after Daytona. No problems with the second set of pressure sensors BTW.

Got my Valentine 1 hardwired the other day. I saw the write-up here, but decided against tapping into the stock wiring. Used the hardwire kit from Valentine, tapping through the drivers footwell panel. Cost me $25 at a local stereo shop (I know the owner & have used him before).

The thicker leather steering wheel is nice, in fact it's the nicest I've owned. Having said that, it's not something I would order. With all of the other alacantra in the car (headliner, door panels, e-brake, shifter & boot), I'd much rather have the matching wheel. Besides, the alacantra feels GREAT!!! I'm still very much looking forward to the GT3RS wheel.

Still haven't used the nav or the chrono, one of these days I'll check them out.

Decided I need to look into speaker upgrades for the stereo. After having a system in my other vehicles, I'm noticing a lot of music notes that are missing. I can fix that.

I am still extremely happy with this car. For a car costing this much, my expectations were pretty high. I have not been disappointed, & feel like it's the best money I've ever spent on a vehicle. It's not so much a car as it is a finely crafted precision instrument.

I swore I'd never do it, but I am now seriously thinking about selling my vette.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:14 AM
khaug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the excellent writeup. It's particularly nice to have the perspective of a former 'Vette owner on this car (I'd actually considered buying a Z06 - for about 30 seconds). And congrats for your choosing PDE! Coming from a front-engined high-torque car, that's just what you need, IMHO.

My GT3 came home on 1/13/07 and has remained in the garage since - our roads here are all salt and ice. Although my experience so far is limited to only 150 miles, my initial impressions very closely mirror yours. I'm now on my 5th Porsche, and have instructed for PCA DE events for >20 years, so I'm eager to hit the track.

Enjoy!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Anybody who cares about music reproduction should try out the B+O system found in some A8s. Its vewry impressive. B+O are supplying a sound system for the new R8. So there are lots of components available and the hardware is not heavy.

I know some purists enjoy sniping at B+O, for them perrhaps they might like to try the Linn system, as fitted to some new Astons.

Thre is something jejeune about these Pioneer/Alpine/Panasonic/Kenwood systems and the Bosch/Becker alternatives hardly quicken the interest, nor their related Bose/HK systems chosen by so manyx of the German manufacturers.

One of the Gallardo features I like are the SD card slots behind the nav screen.

R+C
Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife

One of the Gallardo features I like are the SD card slots behind the nav screen.

R+C
This is also available in the RS4.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:35 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Anybody who cares about music reproduction should try out the B+O system found in some A8s. Its vewry impressive. B+O are supplying a sound system for the new R8. So there are lots of components available and the hardware is not heavy.

I know some purists enjoy sniping at B+O, for them perrhaps they might like to try the Linn system, as fitted to some new Astons.

Thre is something jejeune about these Pioneer/Alpine/Panasonic/Kenwood systems and the Bosch/Becker alternatives hardly quicken the interest, nor their related Bose/HK systems chosen by so manyx of the German manufacturers.

R+C
Robin,

I'd like to do a simple, non invasive upgrade to the strereo. Just something listenable. Bose/Becker/HK et al are terrible systems. My wife's Mark Levinson system in the kids' bus is astonishingly good for OE. I'm not even looking at something that good, just simple component swaps for better quality.

You mention B+O. Do you know if the components are plug and play?

Quick Reply: Not your typical newbie intro (new GT3 pics)