Fuel Filling Saga......

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:56 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fuel Filling Saga......

Last Sat I had PDI (handoff) done and took delivery.
Went to the gas station with my salesman to filler-up, and 1/2 tank was all that could be put in.
I take the car and later in the day I try again and manage to get to 3/4, click click. WTF
Sunday, drove around a bit then before returning home figure I'd try again..Click, Click.
Monday before the Hangover Rally, what the heck give it a try...Click, Click manage to stuff 0.75 gal in.

In CA we have very bulky Vapor Recovery nozzles that once in a while can be problematic.

Bright and early Tues...off to the dealer...where they do every electronic test, all pass.
Research TSB's and some 997C4's had a fuel filling problem which called for a replacement of a pipe..
A part was ordered and delivered from the distribution center by 2pm....wrong part.
The tech worked valiantly to find the problem and seemed to do somthing that allowed a full load of fuel to be loaded.
An email was sent to Atlanta Tues afternoon with a description of what was done and for advice as how to proceed. Too late for an answer, so the car spent the night in the shop.

Late today I got the car back, however the car will be going back as soon as a part arrives from Germany to perform a service action simlar to the 4S fueling problem.

Sorta sucks after 2.5 days and 200mi of ownership.

Has anyone else had any fuel filling issues with their GT3??

Last edited by MJones; 08-23-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:15 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

That sucks MJones. At least its a minor issue that once fixed will leave no marks.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:22 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

me

also, let the tank get down to 50miles before empty, then stopped and put 5 gallons in before i hit the dyno and when the car restart it still said 50 miles before empty

did the 2 pull 93 octane dyno session

then put in by external gas tank 5 gallons of 109 (tank now had 5 + 5 = 10 gallons + whatever the computer said would get me 50 miles

then, after the dyno session, stopped and put in 6 gallons of 89 to bring the octane level down and this time the tank filled up ????
Old 01-04-2007, 12:04 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't been to the gas station yet, but the car was full when I got it.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:29 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

bah humbug! you'll have the gt3 back in no time and will be ready to go!

Bri, migrated to 19" Porsche Carrera Classic 5 spokes with new rubber. You'll be ashamed to hear that i'm taking the pcar to Lucent to have Techart Springs installed, tomorrow.

i figured that was better than 20" go for show!

i feel the heat coming
Old 01-04-2007, 12:37 AM
fayence
Instructor

I've having similar issues with my Targa 4S. I am trying different stations, and some are better than others. It still takes me several times to get it full, and I don't think i ever get it all the way full.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:58 AM
rkeyser
Advanced

I have had this problem on a number of Porsches here in LA. I just pull back on the spring on the nozzle and fill it up to the top. I dread going to the dealer here after having a couple of cars banged up.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fayence
I've having similar issues with my Targa 4S. I am trying different stations, and some are better than others. It still takes me several times to get it full, and I don't think i ever get it all the way full.
There is a TSB/workshop action specifically addressing the issue on the 4S...
that is the proceedure that the Tech Gurus in Atlanta/Germany recommended to proform when new fill pipe arives from Germany.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:50 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A good (bad) sign...
Another GT3 owner from Huntington Beach, CA (Beverly Hills delivery) posted over on Rennteam of a similar refusal to fuel issue...could not fuel above 3/4 tank...click click.

I'm not alone!!!

Anyone else here experience any short fueling problems (anything less than FULL)

Old 01-05-2007, 02:21 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a repost but since I live on the border between CA and NV it does represent a bit of interesting empirical data... when I fill in CA I get the same problem. Usually it gets to 3/4's full and click. When I fill in NV I don't have the problem.

The area of NV that I live in does not have ANY vapor boot on the pump nozzel and I have no trouble filling up. The areas of CA that I occassionally fill in have the spring loaded boot on the pump nozzel.

Back in the fall, as an experiment, I filled in CA while holding the vapor boot off the tank fill neck with my left hand ( I was wearing gloves ) and the tank filled full.

CA vapor boot + Porsche fill neck = too tight a seal that trips the fill switch on the gas pump nozzel.

Edit - I have just been reminded that I also experience the fill problem on the '06 Cayenne turbo S... when filling in CA. Something about the fill necks on Porsche MY '06 and later.

Last edited by JohnnyNarcosis; 01-06-2007 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:21 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem on the first 2 fillups, the third fillup went all the way full without any issues.

I am still waiting on fillup #4

Quick Reply: Fuel Filling Saga......