Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Will color selection impact resale value

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Chilipadi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will color selection impact resale value

Curious what people think when GT3's are resold now and in the distant future. Will not ordering white now make it more difficult to sell (if ever) in the future? Will the market mainly look for white or will meteor gray...etc fetch the same price all things being equal. It seems most polled are ordering white which seems to be the signature color for the GT3.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:25 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

If you are buying the car new for yourself I would not worry about resale. These are expensive machines and you should get what you want (you are paying the most for the car; new car cost, first owner depreciation, and new car insurance).

Yes, there are some safe colors such as black, silver, and white. The marketing was done with white GT3 so maybe there will be a lot of white ones???
Old 12-15-2006, 06:34 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dreams are not for resale. This car's a dream.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:28 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I would have to say no. My rationale is that when I am ready to find a RS in the used market I wouldn't care what color it was just that I got an opportunity to add one to my garage.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:59 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Definately. I can see in the next few years alot of white gt-3's hitting the market. So if you want white, great but if you want say, red, the selection will be thinner.

For the RS, all bets are off until we see how long a production run they do. If they keep supplying all the cars they can sell, then again, there will probably be alot of orange RS's to choose from.

It's all supply and demand.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:00 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If Porsche builds the expected 229 GT3 RS (less than 300) for U.S., this car might be the only modern Porsche to have a good resale value. I don't think color will affect resale.

I think that whoever gets a 997 GT3 RS should keep it. It's a wide body Porsche with a N/A engine. Historycally, wide body Porsches with normally aspirated engines have done pretty well on resale. It also has the RS badge, and it's a real RS not a fake like the 964 RSA.

Resale should be pretty good regardless of colors.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
It also has the RS badge, and it's a real RS not a fake like the 964 RSA.
Well, almost real.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:32 PM
The B
Racer

If it was bright barbie pink with leopard print seats I would still consider it.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:51 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The B
If it was bright barbie pink with leopard print seats I would still consider it.
I think he's challenging your P-shop skills, Jeff (Icon)....care to step up to the plate?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:49 PM
1whobuys
Advanced

I don't know, but I'm in the market for a Green one with Hid's, PCCB's, full leather and Nav. when you guys are getting ready to order and sale keep me in mind.
Thanks
Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm confused.. ....why anyone would want full leather and Nav in a homologation special model or anything else from the "Bling" list. The RS is a street/race car.....the last time I checked, the cup cars didn't have Nav and leather. Keep it pure and save the weight and dollars!

That said I suppose it's your money and in the end it's whatever pushes your buttons that counts for you. If I was looking to buy a used RS then the "Bling" would make the car worth less. The Bi-Xenons are a good choice if you drive to and from the track, the PCCB's are still up for never-ending discussion and all the rest is useless extra weight.

And if you don't track the car, then why have an RS, get a Twin Turbo.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:56 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,166 Likes on 2,911 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
If Porsche builds the expected 229 GT3 RS (less than 300) for U.S., this car might be the only modern Porsche to have a good resale value. I don't think color will affect resale.
Do you really think that's all that they will build for the 997-series? I have no knowledge to the contrary, but it would surprise me. Do you think there is a quota of some kind for Crash Test Regulations (or otherwise) that they are complying with? I just don't understand why they would limit their sales like that voluntarily?
Old 12-17-2006, 01:15 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racerron
I'm confused.. ....why anyone would want full leather and Nav in a homologation special model or anything else from the "Bling" list. The RS is a street/race car.....the last time I checked, the cup cars didn't have Nav and leather. Keep it pure and save the weight and dollars!

That said I suppose it's your money and in the end it's whatever pushes your buttons that counts for you. If I was looking to buy a used RS then the "Bling" would make the car worth less. The Bi-Xenons are a good choice if you drive to and from the track, the PCCB's are still up for never-ending discussion and all the rest is useless extra weight.

First, at this price point, some people expect creature comforts. Also, the computer gives some interesting lap information to help improve those of us who got started on the track later in our lives.

Second, one need not track a car to appreciate the tactile feel and responsivness of a GT3RS over a turbo. I had the joy to drive both the 997 turbo and a GT3 last May in Germany. The GT3 was a completely different car. The 997 turbo was better than my 996 turbo, but not enough better for me to take the depreciation hit. However, the GT3 made me buy an RS and sell my Audi S6 to make room.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:38 PM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Dreams are not for resale. This car's a dream.
Well Said.

After you drive the car the furthest thing from your mind will be resale.

The car will depreciate like all the rest. If you want bubble rap it and hope for the best I would go with green. It will look good to the next guy that wants to bubble rap it.

Joe
Old 12-18-2006, 02:47 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerron

AMEN!!

If you want all those things and the "feel" that is missing in a Turbo go with the "regular" GT3. Less is so much more with the RS.

Hey its your money and I'm never going to tell you how to spend it...don't forget option HMDR, it's a 50 stogie humidor under driver's, err, PIMP'S seat!

Let the pussification of Porsche continue...

Quick Reply: Will color selection impact resale value