Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is the future PSM on every Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Is the future PSM on every Porsche?

Am I correct? I just realized that every Porsche model but the GT3 comes standard with PSM = Porsche Stability Management, a system that uses sensors and individual wheel braking to control yaw angle. This means the car can't be drifted if a certain angle of yaw is exceeded without the car trying to correct itself with PSM.

Furthermore, I find that the PSM system cannot be fully turned off since even with the on-off switch as it will still be switched back on if the ABS is triggered during braking.

How could you have any fun at the track if each time you brake for a corner the PSM is turned back on if you hit the ABS for an instant ?

Also, the Sport Chrono package is necessary if you want to set the system tor higher yaw angles before intervention and a higher ABS threshold before it re-engages if turned off.

I don't know about you, but I think these two trends of "big brother" driving the car for you at the track and having to pay extra to get a "sports car" by having to buy something like the Sports Chrono package when you are buying a sports car in the first place suck, or am I missing something?

I wonder how long it will be before even the GT3 has PSM!!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 01:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar

How could you have any fun at the track if each time you brake for a corner the PSM is turned back on if you hit the ABS for an instant ?
you actually have to do a lot to get psm to come back on (if you turn it off), you can trail brake smoothly wihtout it come back. you sure can't hang your *** out as much as you can with non psm cars, but you can still do it.

i am not saying psm is good, but just saying it's not that bad, yet.

there is a way to kill it off completely. no, it's more complicated than pushing a button or two. a good race shop that really knows 997 987 cars can do it.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:57 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

psm on all porsches thread LINK

the regulation states that it can be completely disabled.
hopefully porsche will offer the ability in the future.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
psm on all porsches thread LINK

the regulation states that it can be completely disabled.
hopefully porsche will offer the ability in the future.
Thanks! Boy did I come late to the party, I completely missed that thread on this topic. Reading the NHTSA letter I can see now that 100% of all Porsche cars will have PSM by Sept. 1, 2008.

I can't find the link to the regulation stating that it can be permanently disabled, can you provide?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Thanks!!! I found the link it is here http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf97/414636_web.pdf

This is very interesting reading. The pages on turning the PSM (NHTSA calls this ESC for "Electronic Stability Control") off start on page 64.

For fear some will disable the system completely, on/off switches will be allowed.

The mode that "off" selects so far has been at the discretion of the manufacturer.

Some manufacturers merely decrease but not eliminate the function i.e. the same option that Porsche offers with the Sport Chrono package's "Sport Mode".

Others turn if off totally. Porsche has elected to turn it off completely when off, but to re-engage when ABS is activated.

Personally I would like a "normal mode" (default) where PSM is agressively engaged with low yaw limits, a "Sport" mode where the yaw/ABS limits are increased or a "Track" mode where it is off completely never to re-activate.

It is precisely because of the on/off button that Porsche had to petition the NHTSA for an exemption for the dashboard lignt to indicate that PSM is off. To get the exemption Porsche are offering 100% vehicle equipment with PSM by 2008.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:28 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

there's a race shop in Canada that currently campaigns a Cayman in some sort of racing series and had an article in Panorama (I think) that discussed all they did to prep the car for racing, which included de-activating PSM altogether...IIRC it was simply by removing a fuse of some sort...not as complicated as originally expected.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

MJ, i spoke with ernie many times (he's the one racing the canadian yellow cayman S). he liks to have the psm in the car, he turns it off, but it's not fully disabled. he said in the rain, it's like cheating ;-)

however, there is a way to kill it off 100%.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
there's a race shop in Canada that currently campaigns a Cayman in some sort of racing series and had an article in Panorama (I think) that discussed all they did to prep the car for racing, which included de-activating PSM altogether...IIRC it was simply by removing a fuse of some sort...not as complicated as originally expected.
I have a switch and two pieces of wire, looks oem when fitted. But its also worth having the ecu modified to let you lfb to your hearts content without disabling the PSM.

R+C

Quick Reply: Is the future PSM on every Porsche?