PSM for all soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:50 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

DOT HS 809 974 September 2006

Development of Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
Performance Criteria

READ IT HERE

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

The authors would like to thank the following entities which have contributed data to this report: the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) Vehicle Research and Test Center (VRTC), the Transportation Research Center Inc. (TRC), Audi, DaimlerChrysler, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motors, Porsche, Toyota Motors, and Volkswagen.
Based upon these data, this report provides NHTSA with recommendations regarding performance-based criteria for effectively defining the minimum lateral stability and responsiveness of vehicles equipped with electronic stability control.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:06 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Huh? You can turn PSM off with the push of a button. Real drivers can deactivate it, and novices will be saved by it. Wider appeal = more demand = higher value given equal 996/997 GT3 production.

This ain't the end of the world, folks. Surely you hot shoes can modulate the brakes well enough to stay out of the ABS (and reactivating PSM), right?
I don't understand how "real drivers can deactivate it"? Could you explain that to me?

Personally, I wouldn't care at all if I could totally deactivate PSM but it can't without modifying the integrity of the vehicle which exposes the driver legally.

I certainly don't agree with your last comment regarding "hot shoes". PSM has been discussed ad nauseum in the racing board and it is agreed that PSM should NOT be in a race car.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
ibm has already developed the technology and it's already in use in a middle eastern country.

ibm traffic control technology LINK
Carburetor cars, here I come!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I don't understand how "real drivers can deactivate it"? Could you explain that to me?
Here...

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 07-21-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:35 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by icon
psm can be set to background where it only intervenes with abs.
what does porsche have to do w/ u.s. govt. regulations???
But BMW DSC when it's off, is really off. That's the point. PSM is not really off if it will turn itself back on.

Not that it affects me, my car has no stinking electornics, it's all me.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:39 PM
stuka
Pro

We can thank our own government for protecting us from ourselves...they're the ones mandating ESC/PSM/etc.

Porsche is just implementing it sooner than required due to their longer product cycles (just as they did with ABS, airbags, TPMS, etc.).
No, BMW's DSC, when turned off, is fully and completely off with no self reactivation.

That is not PSM. Not by a long shot, and one of the big reason why I took a bath and got rid of my PSM laden Turbo. PSM sucks.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here...
Yes, it stays 'off' until you use the brake pedal......the issue is how hard you can stand on the brakes before PSM automatically kicks in......so it's never really off.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:41 PM
stuka
Pro

Here...
Yeah, I had it on my Turbo too, but it turns itself back on if it thinks that the slip angel is too great.

In contrast, the BMW DSC, once off, will not come on until you press the button again.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, it stays 'off' until you use the brake pedal......the issue is how hard you can stand on the brakes before PSM automatically kicks in......so it's never really off.
I have not been so out-of-shape in my 997 that it has re-activated, nor has hard braking on the track re-activated it. And from what I've read, the threshold for the GT3 is even higher, allowing for even greater slip angles.

And if you do manage to gather it up after a lurid slide that engages PSM, hit the button and off it goes again.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:17 PM
krC2S
Racer

since this will soon be a reality does anyone know from experience when reactivates does it shut off agian or do you need to turn it off again?..does it beep or something ot tell you that it's on again or back to off again?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:21 PM
frayed
Race Car

Looks like the insurance industry is also pushing:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15820639/

Soon, the insurance industry will triple rates for all cars not have electronic stability control.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I have not been so out-of-shape in my 997 that it has re-activated, nor has hard braking on the track re-activated it. And from what I've read, the threshold for the GT3 is even higher, allowing for even greater slip angles.

And if you do manage to gather it up after a lurid slide that engages PSM, hit the button and off it goes again.
i cannot speak about the future of psm, however, in my lowly cayman, with psm switched off, it CAN come back on.

no, i was not out of shape, i was in full control of the car and i can make it come on and off at will. at T2 sears point, if you try to outbrake someone and dive under h im to get to the inside, you are pinching the corner a bit, without psm, the rear would twitch a bit, i would unwind jsut before that and drift to exit berm. with psm, instead of that slight twitch, it just cuts power (i am talking about nano seconds here), so just as i would unwind and get on power to drift out that's when psm cuts my power, so i have to tip toe a bit, to really straighten out the car before i get on throttle. however, in this example, the twitch (lack of better word) helps to provide feel for me, allows me to unwind and got wot sooner. with psm coming back on, i have to delay throttle.

sure, i can drive around it and make psm not come back on. but sometimes it's very hard to be super smooth, when you are riding someones bumper and jump out to outbrk him then steaing the apex. perhaps, when one is very skilled, psm will never come back on due to drive smootheness. but not me.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:07 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

For the masses, I think mandatory stability control is a very good thing. No doubt, it will save lives.

But the problem I see for the enthusiast is that it will mean the end of the agressive LSD. Stability control requires braking wheels individually but an agressive LSD will interfere with this. So no more agressive LSD's similar to that found in the 996 GT2/3. Instead the best we will have is the much milder LSD available in the Turbo and Carrera.

Stephen
Old 11-22-2006, 12:28 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PSM is just a computer program working with sensors. Porsche could do something like Ferrari did with the F430. Use a **** instead of a button, and set different assistance levels (sensors tolerance). They could also have a full PSM off with the typical Warning/Disclaimer "Only for Circuit Use".
Old 11-22-2006, 12:45 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
PSM is just a computer program working with sensors. Porsche could do something like Ferrari did with the F430. Use a **** instead of a button, and set different assistance levels (sensors tolerance). They could also have a full PSM off with the typical Warning/Disclaimer "Only for Circuit Use".
If that was the case, I would still be driving my Turbo.

PSM sucks.

If they can make future PSM's with a fully off feature, then I will stop my complaining right now.

Quick Reply: PSM for all soon