Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:55 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
My point that key RoW performance features should be the same for the North America Spec still stands. Why are many of you so willing to pay twice for seats, glass replacement, and so forth???

No wonder we are having trouble influencing Porsche AG.
At least you get a price break in the US. compared to what UK'ers are paying including VAT GT3 in america is a relative bargain.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:42 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I understand your VAT but that is a separate complaint.

US DOT and so forth, uggggg. You can bolt together a street rod, no crash testing, license it, and drive on all of our public roads. Hmmmm, I feel so safe with those cars on the road.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

The more I think about it, the more I think the USA dealer network is the problem.

Not PCNA, not PAG, not government regulations.

I think the dealers just don't want to deal with the sunroof as a 911 option and, since most consumers want a sunroof, they would rather have it only available with a sunroof.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the PCNA meetings with dealer representatives.

This means that, beyond the letters to PCNA, we have to complain to the dealers that we want no sunroof. Lost orders for cars is the only thing that will change the tone of the dealers.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:33 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The more I think about it, the more I think the USA dealer network is the problem.

Not PCNA, not PAG, not government regulations.

I think the dealers just don't want to deal with the sunroof as a 911 option and, since most consumers want a sunroof, they would rather have it only available with a sunroof.

I would love to be a fly on the wall at the PCNA meetings with dealer representatives.

This means that, beyond the letters to PCNA, we have to complain to the dealers that we want no sunroof. Lost orders for cars is the only thing that will change the tone of the dealers.

I'm inclined to agree with you, have you ever seen the "resistance" you get from a dealer when you try to order your car without a sunroof, they tell you it will hurt resale value or that they won't be able to sell the car so you have to give them a large nonrefundable deposit, when that happens youve just got to stay firm in your position, I tell them I'm buying the car for me and not the next owner and what makes me happy is What I Want, as for the deposit, I really dont care because when I buy a car I'm serious, and as for resale I sold my sunroofless car for only a few thousand less than I paid for it new after 4 years of ownership so there.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
I'm inclined to agree with you, have you ever seen the "resistance" you get from a dealer when you try to order your car without a sunroof, they tell you it will hurt resale value or that they won't be able to sell the car so you have to give them a large nonrefundable deposit, when that happens youve just got to stay firm in your position, I tell them I'm buying the car for me and not the next owner and what makes me happy is What I Want, as for the deposit, I really dont care because when I buy a car I'm serious, and as for resale I sold my sunroofless car for only a few thousand less than I paid for it new after 4 years of ownership so there.
Have I seen the resistance?

You bet, I am sure the Mercedes dealer would not have written the order for my wifes Mercedes without a sunroof if I wasn't a repeat customer. Even then, the salesman called back the next day asking if I was sure about the sunroof delete.

As for resale, those I know with "Sunroof delete" 911's have, like you, had no problems and commanded a premium on the resale market since many in that market are looking to drive the car at the track and can't fit in the car with a helmet if it has a sunroof, not to mention the weight penalty for track use.

Deposits in California cannot be "non-refundable"; the dealer takes all the risk. I think this is part of the problem.....
Old 10-14-2006, 07:23 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Sunroof issue aside (at least for us RS waiters), lexan windows, CGT Seats and roll cage ARE DOT/NHSTA issues!!

IF the rumor is true and the RS is 10% more than the "regular" GT3...then I believe it's a fair deal so as long as the LFW is standard.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:28 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Sunroof issue aside (at least for us RS waiters), lexan windows, CGT Seats and roll cage ARE DOT/NHSTA issues!!

IF the rumor is true and the RS is 10% more than the "regular" GT3...then I believe it's a fair deal so as long as the LFW is standard.
What's a fair deal? I don't think it's a fair deal if a GT3 RS is 10% more than a regular 997 GT3, AND I have to pay probably another $10k to add proper fixed-back seats, harnesses, lexan, and a cage.

At that point, it's a 10% premium for a lwfw, widebody, and fancy livery. Not worth 10%, in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:15 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
What's a fair deal? I don't think it's a fair deal if a GT3 RS is 10% more than a regular 997 GT3, AND I have to pay probably another $10k to add proper fixed-back seats, harnesses, lexan, and a cage.
It's fair in comparison to what Europeans are paying for a what is essentially widebody GT3 Clubsport with lwfw, lexan windows and fancy livery... So even if we do have to pay for the seats, harness, lexan windows and cage on our own, to me it's still a fair deal. Again it's just MHO. Oh yeah don't forget the RS does have a carbon fiber hood and wing, as well as, I believe a different suspension. And NO SUNROOF!

There's also something to be said about the implied exclusivity of it.

We may just have to agree to disagree...
Old 10-16-2006, 01:18 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

remember with Porsche you pay more for less weight sometimes, as for 10% more, many of us would almost pay 10% more just to get no sunroof, so consider it this way you pay more for no crappy sunroof and the flares hood wing and graphics are free!!!

Last edited by dark knight; 10-16-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:17 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dark knight
remember with Porsche you pay more for less weight sometimes, as for 10% more, many of us would almost pay 10% more just to get no sunroof, so consider it this way you pay more for no crappy sunroof and the flares hood wing and graphics are free!!!
That's true with the sports car world!

Quick Reply: Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT