Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:27 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,786 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if rs is 10k more = 116k base price, that would be great for some USA buyers.
An additional $10k doesn't sound bad, but you have to consider what you get for the $10k over the GT3:

1. Wider body/track (I could do without that)
2. LWF (I hope so) - great
3. Graphics and wheels matching colors (sort of cool)
4. Stiffer PASM setup (not sure this is needed, but need to try both)
5. Carbon rear wing - ok
6. GT seats? Would be great if included
7. Sunroof Delete - yeah

No significant weight loss, I think...

Seems that these things would cost Porsche very little (or maybe even less) - I'd still do it though...
Old 10-01-2006, 02:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,504 Likes on 2,278 Posts

grant, chk out porscheusa.com.
there's a clip on RS.
assuming USA site only shows cars meant for USA (big IF) then we may get lexan rear screen, single mass flywheel and CGT derived seats. read through the text, i am a bit surprised but fingers crossed hoping for the best.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:39 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,786 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
grant, chk out porscheusa.com.
there's a clip on RS.
assuming USA site only shows cars meant for USA (big IF) then we may get lexan rear screen, single mass flywheel and CGT derived seats. read through the text, i am a bit surprised but fingers crossed hoping for the best.
Hi Mooty - I guess I assumed that was international description of the RS, not including USA. If it is and it costs $10k, that would be too good to be true. I think the GT seats cost more than that alone...
Old 10-01-2006, 03:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,504 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Hi Mooty - I guess I assumed that was international description of the RS, not including USA. If it is and it costs $10k, that would be too good to be true. I think the GT seats cost more than that alone...
yeah, it's confusing. the site is USA, but no one realy knows what the car is.
you are right about the seats. i was going to buy a pair of CGT seats for my cayman. then i fainted when i was quoted 3500 USD, each... needless to say, i didn't go forth with the seats.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:07 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

As I mentioned before:

Straight from the disclaimer section:

"While Porsche endeavors to periodically update posted information, not all information may be current, and Porsche does not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of such data. Specifications on the website are for comparison purposes only; specifications, standard equipment, options and pricing are subject to change without notice. Some options may be unavailable when your car is built. Some vehicles may be shown with non-U.S. or non-Canadian equipment. Please consult your dealer for advice concerning the current availabilty and pricing of options..."
Old 10-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
Excellent ! Maybe we can save the 2008 997 GT3 as well.

How disappointing that you did not get any applause at the gathering.

So if they did listen to us on the 997 GT3 RS then why don't they send all who complained a form letter stating the change???

The diesel engine issue is one of the reasons Porsche AG is not competing in the top class in sports car racing.

I agree, they most certainly should send a form letter out.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Man Chris if this is true and you better be telling the truth...we (those of us that put the whole letter idea together) have made this happen...it is with much satisfaction that I type this...awesome news!!!

Listen guys, I certainly would not mess with you on this one. This is exactly what he said that the RS could be had without the hole. I point blank asked him this question as I stated and in a room full of 100 plus Porsche owners that was the response he gave.

I am telling the truth and unless the Pres./CEO of PCNA chose to lie in front of everyone present it is a victory.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Chris L.
Pro

One last time.

Guys I know I only have 60 some odd posts and am not a guru of any sorts for you all but I have enjoyed my almost 2 years on this forum.

As I mentioned recently in another post I have just purchased Jerseybean's 05 GT3 thanks to a lot of you guys help. I am very thankful for such a medium as this and I certainly would not "violate" it with false claims.

I was in the Porshceplatz tent at the Petit LeMans with these 4 gentlemen. I asked the question point blank as stated and he replied as stated. I took that to mean that on the GT3 we would never get the option to delete the sunroof, at least not on the 07 MY. Whether the RS comes without the sunroof or as an option to delete he did not specify. He only answered my question as posed but we would be able to get it without the hole.

Most questions were directed at the Motorsports guys so PCNA Pres/CEO did not entertain many questions and they left very quickly after the presentation.

For what it is worth I forgot to mention in the original post that one other person asked if we would be able to get the clubsport package here in the states and the answer was a resounding NO! He said it would be nice to get that and offer it here but could not because of regulations.

Again this is old news in a way and you can read into that what you want as it is not specific enough in regards to whether we will get the seats and lightweight windows but I took it to mean NO WE WON'T.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Too bad a pair of CGT seats are $7K. Sunroof issue aside, they complete the GT3.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:28 AM
frayed
Race Car

Schit. This complicates things.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:50 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Noah,

What's up with all your conspiracy theories...we apparently got what we wanted. A 997 GT3RS with NO HOLE!
MJ',

Not conspiracy, but marketing theory. Straight out of the Harley Davidson textbook. Create many variants from one. That's why the RS exists, and I would contend, exists without a sunroof. The new leader, raw, without compromise and no sunroof. Porsche is clever at the game. Put a tin roof on a Boxster. Not a Boxster coupe, but a brand new Cayman, worth more $$$ than a Boxster. Maybe Porsche will start releasing all new future models as convertibles so they can then release the coupe at a premium.

Who knows? In the future, the top GT3 may be the GT3RSXLFTCB and you all will have to have it. :-)

Noah
Old 10-01-2006, 10:52 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.
Listen guys, I certainly would not mess with you on this one. This is exactly what he said that the RS could be had without the hole. I point blank asked him this question as I stated and in a room full of 100 plus Porsche owners that was the response he gave.

I am telling the truth and unless the Pres./CEO of PCNA chose to lie in front of everyone present it is a victory.
Where's my bottle of bubbly...note to self place it on ice to chill!!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 AM
grussell
Pro

This is great news and makes the long wait even harder! Now if I could just order white!
Old 10-01-2006, 12:52 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Maybe they got an exception from the NHSTA/DOT based on the fact that it is or apparently will be a low volume model. Or maybe they, like Ferrari used computer simulations to get the exemption.
Sorry, ain't buy'n it. I would think that in the world of the NHSTA/DOT a GT3 would be considered extremely low volume as well and below the line if there is one. But since we have no data for this...maybe. Also, if all you needed were computer simulations it would cost next to nothing to run a sim for the GT3 as well.

My guess is it may have more to do with the timing of the RS - 2008, the customer outcry - us, the inability to affect the 07 GT3 production plan. If you listen to or read all the responses from PCNA/PAG so far, they never placed a time frame on the decision to stick with the sunroof mandatory for the GT3. As I said before though, they can't announce a change in their stance before the thing even begins shipping to the U.S. without causing a disruption for 2007. So nothing said contradicts a change for the 2008 MY. Hope to see "sunroof delete" buried somewhere in the order guide next spring. Let's hope so.

Also, hat's off to all of those that took a chance that the RS would not be affected and jumped on that list. You lucky dogs
Old 10-01-2006, 02:58 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,048 Likes on 580 Posts

I am so happy...I am crying...this is the happiest day of my life, I think it supersedes my marriage as the happiest day ever.

It now offically goes TOP 5

1) No sunroof on GT3 RS
2) Marriage
3) This threesome I had with the two hottest girls ever
4) Buying the 996 GT3
5) Closing this really big deal that I did

Quick Reply: Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT