Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:46 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

That's a whole other question. I'm not sure that I would sell my 996GT3 in order to get a 997GT3/RS. But since I don't have one anymore, my decision is easier. Do I want a 997GT3 RS or not and clearly my answer is yes. To that I will add that the sunroof issue is one of principle and philosophy but none the less a deal breaker in many ways.

I will say this, as far as looks as RR mentioned, the 997 has the 996 beat and IMHO hands down. Weight we all know that can be "adjusted" to fit one's needs/likes. And performance, well if the performance has been minimally improved and the car weighs more, then reducing the weight would increase the delta in performance between the two.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:34 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Porsche markets these cars to us as expressions of our individuality, when they take away the ability to delete the sunroof, it says the opposite, those who want the car, want it the exact way we want it, thats why its an issue. If Porsche AG discontinued sunroofless cars world wide we'd be less upset, , at present we are being denied what customers throughout the world can have, this was the problem in the eighties and now it rears its head again, while I applaud the decision to allow gt3rs owners a choice,but what about the other ""victims" of profit before customer, I only hope Porsche will listen and that this issue will be resolved with the 998
Old 10-06-2006, 06:37 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

If you have a problem with the 997 being too soft then I'm almost sure you'll have an even bigger one with the 998...
Old 10-11-2006, 12:10 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

RR

Many of us agree with you on the performance gains versus price. We made the sunroof a key starting point in our battle for a better GT3. Now we have to try and get some of the other RoW spec features for the 997 GT3 RS North America specification...

- flywheel clutch
- the seats
- roll bar or cage
- lexan window
- other colors (white)
- AC delete
Old 10-11-2006, 12:41 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,776 Likes on 2,723 Posts

LWF Flywheel is confirmed, roll cage is bolt-in, lexan rear window can be added, AC can be removed, and seats can be added (hopefully without freaking out the airbag lights) - just takes a little work, but a real RS can be made...

Originally Posted by enthusiast
RR

Many of us agree with you on the performance gains versus price. We made the sunroof a key starting point in our battle for a better GT3. Now we have to try and get some of the other RoW spec features for the 997 GT3 RS North America specification...

- flywheel clutch
- the seats
- roll bar or cage
- lexan window
- other colors (white)
- AC delete
Old 10-11-2006, 01:45 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
LWF Flywheel is confirmed, roll cage is bolt-in, lexan rear window can be added, AC can be removed, and seats can be added (hopefully without freaking out the airbag lights) - just takes a little work, but a real RS can be made...

Exactly the point!!!

all the things you want are now easily obtainable with the right amount of money, however building the car without the sunroof was one of those things that really had to be done at the factory, now that PCNA has seen the light about the sunroof, someone who seriously wants a euro spec'd car can make it, as for the AC I think that a cooler driver is more efficient and less fatigued and thus that may be a life saver on the track, just my thoughts that in regards to weight loss and performance from a risk/benefit standpoint it might be better to keep it
Old 10-11-2006, 12:27 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
Exactly the point!!!

as for the AC I think that a cooler driver is more efficient and less fatigued and thus that may be a life saver on the track, just my thoughts that in regards to weight loss and performance from a risk/benefit standpoint it might be better to keep it
Uhhh, I'm sure your're not suggesting having the AC running while acutally lapping on the track....are you? Maybe sitting on the grid on a 100+ degree day waiting to go out.
However, it's certainly a must for driving to and from the track. Especially to the certral valley tracks here in CA on a hot summer weekend.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:30 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjb
Uhhh, I'm sure your're not suggesting having the AC running while acutally lapping on the track....are you? Maybe sitting on the grid on a 100+ degree day waiting to go out.
However, it's certainly a must for driving to and from the track. Especially to the certral valley tracks here in CA on a hot summer weekend.
Definitely not on the track but definitely yes while sitting on the grid and to and from the track...btw the Auto Club de l'Oest is requiring closed cockpit cars to have AC...
Old 10-12-2006, 09:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,495 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
LWFW, cool.
roll cage, my will be custom fabricated anyways.
lexan, i see a group buy coming soon.
AC, i am a wimp needs ac
seats: going for the seat in cup car with elephant ears (you can kill off airbag light, i did it with 997 and 987, needs PIWIS computer).

damn, so much for TRYING to save money for my kid's college fund.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:03 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
roll cage, my will be custom fabricated anyways.
Do we know a part number for the 997 GT3 (RS?) cage? I'd be interested in the RS if I knew for sure that an actual Porsche euro-spec full cage could be installed. Something like the tequip 996 bar, which is beautifully built and fits in really nicely, but can be removed without any trace of ever having been in the car.

It'd be nice to have a full euro-spec GT3 RS with all Porsche-blessed parts, as opposed to things cobbled together (fun in itself, but I'm done with that scene).
Old 10-12-2006, 10:17 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I am going to step on my tongue here. I know why we don’t want to run the AC on the track but what harm will it pose to the car. I would think that the parts are capable of the stress and I would hope the cooling would also be capable. Help me understand.

jv
Old 10-12-2006, 11:38 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 575 Posts

Its cool (no pun intended) to run AC while on the track, even in a race enviorment. Just watch out for the Water and Oil temps. You will not lose power at Full Throttle as the AC is shut off at Full Throttle. You will however lose power everywhere else.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:53 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

My point that key RoW performance features should be the same for the North America Spec still stands. Why are many of you so willing to pay twice for seats, glass replacement, and so forth???

No wonder we are having trouble influencing Porsche AG.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:22 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

fire DOT!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 01:24 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Vote for an all new governing body... and make the safety police simply go to sleep!\\jv

Quick Reply: Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT