Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:11 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
I am so happy...I am crying...this is the happiest day of my life, I think it supersedes my marriage as the happiest day ever.

It now offically goes TOP 5

1) No sunroof on GT3 RS
2) Marriage
3) This threesome I had with the two hottest girls ever
4) Buying the 996 GT3
5) Closing this really big deal that I did
bahahaha

but only a threesome?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Obviously this whole sunroof thing was carefully planned by Porsche to take our "eye of the ball".
Nobody talks about PASM & other nannies of 997 GT3 variants anymore!

IMO 2007 "regular" GT3 having a mandatory sunroof and then a 2008 GT3 with the delete option could actually work out.
Lot of the "I must have it immediately/latest is the greatest" folks fall into those who have been whining about the sunroof (EDIT: To clarify, I mean those whining that they want to have the hole) so they can get their cars immediately and with the sunroof where as those of us who are willing to wait, get their GT3 without the hole in 2008 model so everyone can be happy.
Only problem with that scenario I see is selling a 2007 GT3 down the line (when the prices have fallen and it's more enthusiast are buying) which could be a bitch.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 10-02-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:43 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Lot of the "I must have it immediately/latest is the greatest" folks fall into those who have been whining about the sunroof so they can get their cars immediately and with the sunroof where as those of us who are willing to wait, get their GT3 without the hole in 2008 model so everyone can be happy.
Only problem with that scenario I see is selling a 2007 GT3 down the line (when the prices have fallen and it's more enthusiast are buying) which could be a bitch.
i'm not happy.
i may even call today and cancel my gt3 that's supposed to be built this month.
the way porsche has handled this whole situation is very disappointing.
first the pathetic responses to the letters, and now this silly response by the ceo of pcna.
. . . have no idea what i'll do for a track car if i cancel
Old 10-02-2006, 11:16 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Jeff,

I thought you said you didn't mind the sunroof?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:47 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icon
. . . have no idea what i'll do for a track car if i cancel
Guess... it starts with an R and ends with an S and it only has two letters (and no sunroof!)

Old 10-02-2006, 12:40 PM
naparsei
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nomis
Guess... it starts with an R and ends with an S and it only has two letters (and no sunroof!)

Or maybe it starts with an "R" and ends with an "L" and a couple of the letters in the middle are "ADICA"

Old 10-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great for the 200 or so buying an RS. Not for those getting a GT3.

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind the engineer’s decision too not put the sunroof in the RS but to leave it on the GT3. (since it was an engineering decision in the first place according to the BS reply in the letter) Did they have to delete the sunroof to get the RS under the GT3 weight (wouldn't it be embarrassing if the wide body supposed light weight version RS weighed more than the GT3???)

So the mystery remains, did they crash test a 997 for this? If so why can't we get a GT3 without a sunroof? (what's their excuse now???) If they didn't crash test a 997 then how does this get into the country?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:04 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,222 Likes on 664 Posts

Jeff,

Why would you cancel now and why would you care? You did not mind the sunroof and your car did not change. Why would you cancel your order just so that you MIGHT have a delete option on a car that you knew had a sunroof and actually wanted one?
Old 10-02-2006, 05:20 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Great for the 200 or so buying an RS. Not for those getting a GT3.

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind the engineer’s decision too not put the sunroof in the RS but to leave it on the GT3. (since it was an engineering decision in the first place according to the BS reply in the letter) Did they have to delete the sunroof to get the RS under the GT3 weight (wouldn't it be embarrassing if the wide body supposed light weight version RS weighed more than the GT3???)

So the mystery remains, did they crash test a 997 for this? If so why can't we get a GT3 without a sunroof? (what's their excuse now???) If they didn't crash test a 997 then how does this get into the country?
They could've crash tested a wide bodied 997, meaning that they will offer a no sunroof version of GT3RS and GT2.

Why not the Turbo or C4S? Those drivers want the sunroof and would probably write a letter to PCNA asking why is it that their cars don't come with a standard sunroof.

The bigger question is, although saving any weight is great, why would they reduce more weight up front with the carbon fiber bonnet as opposed to saving more weight in the rear, after all that's where the 911 really needs a diet?
Old 10-02-2006, 05:53 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
They could've crash tested a wide bodied 997, meaning that they will offer a no sunroof version of GT3RS and GT2.
Why not the Turbo or C4S? Those drivers want the sunroof and would probably write a letter to PCNA asking why is it that their cars don't come with a standard sunroof.
doesnt make sense.
widebody is on awd 997's plus the rs. (so c4 as well, although targa's obviously wouldnt need a sunroof delete )
why wouldnt they offer sunroof delete option and make a higher profit on cars already crash tested?

Last edited by icon; 10-11-2006 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:02 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by icon
doesnt make sense.
widebody is on awd 997's plus the rs. (so c4 as well, although targa's obviously wouldnt need a sunroof delete )
why wouldnt they offer sunroof delete option and make a higher profit on cars already crash tested?
The C4, C4S and Turbo drivers want the sunroof?? The RS and GT2(just guessing) don't??
Old 10-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't imagine an inch or so on the rear fenders would require them to crash test both a WB & a NB version for the sunroof.

What's next, a crash test in each seat selecton, full leather vs. not, or each color.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:18 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

This is the prime reason why I will only lease the 997 GT3 and wait to buy a "hole-less" '08 or greater when the time comes....I won't have the problem of unloading the "hole" when the time comes; I will just give it back to the dealer. Until then; I will drive the "hole" without prejudice and have fun while doing it >
Old 10-03-2006, 05:21 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Originally Posted by leif997
Until then; I will drive the "hole" without prejudice and have fun while doing it >
That's the spirit

At the end of the day, yes it puts some weight in the wrong area and yes it will affect the car; however, will it effect it enough for you guys not to enjoy it? I doubt that somehow.

I understand it's the principal and had PCGB made such a silly decision, I'm sure your Euro-brothers would be hacked off but I'm still not sure it's worth not owning the car over?

Old 10-04-2006, 01:07 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

What is the big deal about the sunroof or no sunroof.
To me I think we should be focusing on whether the 997GT3 and RS is worth upgrading to from the 996GT3.
Sunroof or not, its not going to make a hill of beans difference IFthe performance between the 997GT3/RS and the 996GT3 is minimal.

So far I see it only minimal. The video that was posted earlier in the week of a track day battle between a 997GT3 and a 996GT3 shows visually what the specs between these 2 models have shown, and what automobile journalists have shown in the 3 articles that I have read - that there is minimal difference from the 996 to the 997 GT3's.

So why are we making such a hoopla with the sunroof. If anything we should be sending a letter to PCNA and Porche asking for a larger performance gain.

To me this sunroof issue is like fighting over dimes, when we are losing dollars.

Just my 2 cents.

I mean don't get me wrong the 997GT3 looks great and the RS even better, but I still don't see enough reason to drop my 996 for this new model.

Quick Reply: Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT