Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006 | 03:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmos
I am so happy...I am crying...this is the happiest day of my life, I think it supersedes my marriage as the happiest day ever.

It now offically goes TOP 5

1) No sunroof on GT3 RS
2) Marriage
3) This threesome I had with the two hottest girls ever
4) Buying the 996 GT3
5) Closing this really big deal that I did
Don't let your wife see this list
Old 10-01-2006 | 04:02 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

I am so happy...I am crying...this is the happiest day of my life, I think it supersedes my marriage as the happiest day ever.

It now offically goes TOP 5

1) No sunroof on GT3 RS
2) Marriage
3) This threesome I had with the two hottest girls ever
4) Buying the 996 GT3
5) Closing this really big deal that I did

LOL, who cares about sunroof. tell me more about number 3 evan!
hahaha, hate to see where the birth of your first born is going lie in this list.
-jim
Old 10-01-2006 | 04:10 PM
billatlanta
Racer

I was there as well and can attest that everything Chris stated is spot on 100% accurate as it went down. Chris your report is as detailed and thorough as it can be. I even forgot the tidbit about the Cayman. Thanks for asking the question. Congratulations to you guys on your efforts to be heard.

I won't repeat what I heard about the sales price of the car from talking to a sales guy there since he was not real sure. What is strange is he is very knowledgable and told me about the sun roof not being available on the RS about an hour earlier (around 9:30) before the Porsche guys were there.
Old 10-01-2006 | 05:25 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

That is great news!

Proves that those letters (many said were stupid and not gonna do anything) worked. I often say: "never quit".

I hope '08 GT3 will follow RS and can be had without the hole, it would be a shame not to.
Old 10-01-2006 | 06:53 PM
JFT
Instructor

I really applaud those of you who sent letters to PCNA! But that's not the reason the RS doesn't have the hole. This was a fact 2 months ago ever since the prelim. order guide made its way to the forums and clearly stated no sunroof for the RS, ANYWHERE. Still don't understand how anyone was not clear after that. Porsche claiming the letters casued a change of heart is an afterthought and a bit tacky to be honest.
Old 10-01-2006 | 06:59 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by JFT
I really applaud those of you who sent letters to PCNA! But that's not the reason the RS doesn't have the hole. This was a fact 2 months back since the prelim. order guide made its way to the forums. Still don't understand how anyone was not clear after that. Porsche claiming the letters casued a change of heart is an afterthought and a bit tacky to be honest.

How can you applaud those who sent letters to PCNA and in the same breath tell them that their effort meant nothing?

There has been much information posted here about how ALL 997 based cars would have the hole. Again I would like to say that the Pres./CEO of PCNA said it was secondary to customer response that the RS will be available without the hole.

I like to think of it not as "tacky" but a true response to a loyal customer base.
Old 10-01-2006 | 07:01 PM
JFT
Instructor

I applaud them because I think the main concern was for the base GT3 where the issue still remains. Hopefully there it will make a difference eventually. I am just stating that the decision on the RS was made a long time ago contrary to some beliefs here.

Last edited by JFT; 10-01-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2006 | 08:34 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

So is it standard with no sunroof or is it a delete option?
Old 10-01-2006 | 11:39 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjb
Sorry, ain't buy'n it. I would think that in the world of the NHSTA/DOT a GT3 would be considered extremely low volume as well and below the line if there is one. But since we have no data for this...maybe. Also, if all you needed were computer simulations it would cost next to nothing to run a sim for the GT3 as well.

My guess is it may have more to do with the timing of the RS - 2008, the customer outcry - us, the inability to affect the 07 GT3 production plan. If you listen to or read all the responses from PCNA/PAG so far, they never placed a time frame on the decision to stick with the sunroof mandatory for the GT3. As I said before though, they can't announce a change in their stance before the thing even begins shipping to the U.S. without causing a disruption for 2007. So nothing said contradicts a change for the 2008 MY. Hope to see "sunroof delete" buried somewhere in the order guide next spring. Let's hope so.

Also, hat's off to all of those that took a chance that the RS would not be affected and jumped on that list. You lucky dogs
The fact is that they're great at marketing but I got believe that just maybe we accomplished something and didn't just get played by the marketing "geniuses." I guess that's the genius in what they do and that is leave the door open for people to think that they were going to do this all along and spin it like they only did this because "Porsche listens to its clients" which is a great story to tell and a fantastic way to make us feel great about what we "accomplished."

Again I believe we actualy dd accomplish something.

Just as a side note, computer simulations are being used successfully by manufacturers in dealing with the certification process of the US gov't, drastically reducing cost.

The thing is, we don't HAVE to get it with the hole!! It's sometimes better to be lucky than good.
Old 10-01-2006 | 11:49 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

BTW my concern was concentrated on the RS and so for me this seems to work great.

Having said that I believe we'll see a delete option on the 2008 GT3 order guide...
Old 10-01-2006 | 11:50 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Red face

Maybe it was your

PORSCHE PLEASE SEND THE ROW 997GT3 RS TO AMERICA!!!

WHWHAHAHAHA
Old 10-02-2006 | 12:04 AM
N51
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Having said that I believe we'll see a delete option on the 2008 GT3 order guide...
Based on?

The King(GT3) is dead. Long live the King(GT3RS).

Porsche has now two variants of the GT3. They understood the sunroof issue from the beginning. That's why the RS exists without one. Don't expect the two to mingle. One apple will always be higher on the tree. I'm looking for the GT3RSS. :-)

Congratulations to you and the few who will enjoy such a fine car! We may differ in opinion, but not in desire.

Noah
Old 10-02-2006 | 12:12 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by N51
Based on?

The King(GT3) is dead. Long live the King(GT3RS).

Porsche has now two variants of the GT3. They understood the sunroof issue from the beginning. That's why the RS exists without one. Don't expect the two to mingle. One apple will always be higher on the tree. I'm looking for the GT3RSS. :-)

Congratulations to you and the few who will enjoy such a fine car! We may differ in opinion, but not in desire.

Noah
Agreed.
Old 10-02-2006 | 12:13 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Maybe it was your

PORSCHE PLEASE SEND THE ROW 997GT3 RS TO AMERICA!!!

WHWHAHAHAHA
I thought it was quite obvious but just to be clear...
Old 10-02-2006 | 02:34 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Now the "RS" must really be an RS, because it has no sunroof!" Clever marketing? Did Porsche just effectively increase the base price of a GT3 from $99k to $126k simply by changing a name?

Quick Reply: Achtung! IMPORTANT SUNROOF ANNOUNCEMENT