Sunroof saga round 2 - PCNA response to my letter

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:57 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Come on man, you'll fit right in, especially next year when we can even start wearing those Ferrari F1 t-shirts again!
Although I have to warn you, first time you'll show up in front of me with that CS, I'll probably have to punch you, it's so god damn great looking & sounding thing! Wednesday could work. Let's call later today.
Yes rooting per la Scuderia will be fun again!!

To punch me first you'd have to catch me
Old 09-19-2006, 06:00 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ryce
One of the things that makes the 996 gt3 special is the chassis. It bears the c4 chassis that is purportedly seam welded. The suckers are stiff. The cars are built on a special production line.

I've said it before about a 997 with a sunroof; I don't think you can really consider it a gt.

I'm keeping mine.
IMHO the sunroof issue is more based on principle and weight, not on stiffness...AFAIK the GT3's are and have always been built on the production line as the rest of the model series.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:40 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 606 Posts

For me it is principle as well. I just want what I want in a car that cost over 100k. I just dont understand why the ROW gets what they want, but here in the USA we get screwed??

BMWNA does not let customers have access to the "Individual" program, yet USA has surpassed Germany as a larger market.

I am still pissed off about the GT3, I still have hope for the RS. If Porsche lets me down on the RS, then f*ck them.

I will be looking for a Cup Car soon and have a M coupe on order. It has no roof and is much more raw then the Cayman and as for looks, I think it is awesome. I did a 2 year lease, so incase I am called even this October for an RS, I am good with it.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:47 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
I had never experienced PSM until two weeks ago at PDE, and throughly hated it on the skidpad and track. Sure, it would work wonders on a wet/snowy road, but IMHO it has no place on the track. It just felt too controlling.-B
Where on the track at PDE did PSM activate?
If you are doing everything right, it will not rear it's head..except for a flicker cresting the turn 4 hill at 90+mph

Old 09-19-2006, 11:02 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cosmos
For me it is principle as well. I just want what I want in a car that cost over 100k. I just dont understand why the ROW gets what they want, but here in the USA we get screwed??

BMWNA does not let customers have access to the "Individual" program, yet USA has surpassed Germany as a larger market.

I am still pissed off about the GT3, I still have hope for the RS. If Porsche lets me down on the RS, then f*ck them.

I will be looking for a Cup Car soon and have a M coupe on order. It has no roof and is much more raw then the Cayman and as for looks, I think it is awesome. I did a 2 year lease, so incase I am called even this October for an RS, I am good with it.
I too don't understand why the "Individual" program isn't available to NA clients. I've owned several BMW's including two E36 M3's and although they are fun to drive, they started suffering from the same sickness Porsche has contracted; TO-PIMPITALL!
Old 09-20-2006, 12:37 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A/C, Radio, Comfortable Seats and light. Porsche might let me down with their new car, but not with this one.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:02 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ryce
One of the things that makes the 996 gt3 special is the chassis. It bears the c4 chassis that is purportedly seam welded. The suckers are stiff. The cars are built on a special production line.
The additional seam-welding is on the two engine support mount brackets and is all of 10mm in length. The other location that is seam-welded is on part of the front wall. The rear welds were added because of the extra weight of the GT3/Turbo engine and the front was changed because of the additional stress from the 4WD. I think the rest is marketing...
Old 09-20-2006, 01:32 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

NJ-GT: Your car is absolutely gorgeous. Enjoy it!

MJones: Let me first say that PDE was completely amazing. I should have done that years ago! With regard to PSM, I know that what I said is controversial. I am just a fan of the old school I guess - I like feeling a car's limits and not having it "taken" from me by a computer. Sure, the new technology is certainly safer and may even be a life saver, but I find it less exciting and therefor undesireable.

I first noticed PSM on the skidpad (instructor recommended we activate it) and then it came on a few times on the track as I tried to push the limits of the car. From memory, the first time was the rise after turn 4 (hill crest) when I was off line, and then again later in the day at turn 5 (late braking, with early turn in). I agree with you completely when you infer that driving the track flawlessly should not activate it at all... (Hey, I still occasionally ski on straight skis because they are more fun that the new shapes - and much harder to ski)

And by the way - thanks for all of your posts over the years extolling PDE. I am already planning my next event.

-B
Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NJ-GT,

That's one hell of a good looking car! We need to get you some 964/993 RS type door panels though...
Old 09-20-2006, 10:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,624 Likes on 2,310 Posts

jason is right on. my mech chk'd my two gt3, they are NOT 100% seam welded.

rad, now that's a f'k awesome interior. once you are done with AX competition, weld in a cup car cage, you are set. screw the 997gt3
Old 09-20-2006, 11:44 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

NJ-GT

That's the way the RS CS should look like! How much does it weigh?
Old 09-20-2006, 12:18 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

When you see the 997 GT3 in person as I did... the main body does not look much different that the 996 GT3, really! Bumper covers and the angular 996 GT3 Mark I rear wing are what catch one's eye.
Wheel/tire combination looks the same (yes, I know they are 19").
Old 09-20-2006, 01:00 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
NJ-GT: Your car is absolutely gorgeous. Enjoy it!

MJones: Let me first say that PDE was completely amazing. I should have done that years ago! With regard to PSM, I know that what I said is controversial. I am just a fan of the old school I guess - I like feeling a car's limits and not having it "taken" from me by a computer. Sure, the new technology is certainly safer and may even be a life saver, but I find it less exciting and therefor undesireable.
PSM is a great feature for the 95% of people driving Porsche's on the roads (not tracks) with little to no high performance driving experience. And it can be disabled if you don't want it on. The GTx cars are meant to appeal to enthusiasts so they don't have PSM as has been noted. Don't see the problem.

Besides it has been reported in the press that some form of stability management may be mandated on all vehicles in the US in the future, so better get used to it. Coming to a future GT3 delivered to you....and with a sunroof to boot

I first noticed PSM on the skidpad (instructor recommended we activate it) and then it came on a few times on the track as I tried to push the limits of the car. From memory, the first time was the rise after turn 4 (hill crest) when I was off line, and then again later in the day at turn 5 (late braking, with early turn in). I agree with you completely when you infer that driving the track flawlessly should not activate it at all...
Maybe PSM saved your butt You may be very experienced on the track, but I know that after more than a few hours on the track myself I'm pretty sure I'm not close to driving at the limit consitently. Still gotta long way to go. But defintiely, when you're on the track turn off PSM when you feel comfortable with your skill. Of course with a GT3 you won't have to worry about that pesky PSM button...
BTW, did the PDE instructors require PSM on?
Old 09-20-2006, 05:14 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Icon - PDE was awesome. I think I will take some time later this week to recount my experience on the 'list.

MJB - Good point. I do not mean to come across as cocky/aggressive/arrogant, but I do have a pretty good handle on what blows my hair back (perhaps I should have kept those previous posts/thoughts to myself). For me, I want a 911 that can challenge me (i.e. scare me) and demand my complete attention. Having driven 911 SCs, Carrera 3.2s and 964s, I understand that a lot has changed with Porsche over those years. However, those cars were raw. The 996 GT3 was the first of the new water cooled breed that got me excited. All it took was one test drive, and I was hooked. To add to this new addiction, I absolutely LOVE the looks of the 997 GT3, and am still praying that they continued the evolution (which they have on paper) with more HP, better drag coefficient, improvements in stock suspension, and of course the same viseral feel (uh oh... some one noted in a previous thread that this word is a cliche...oops) that I miss from the older 911s.

Until I drive one, all I can do is conjecture. Certainly the hole in the roof was not the right direction. Time will tell.

And thanks for the heads-up regarding the potential for mandatory stability management for future US cars... If that does transpire, then the GT3 Cup will become the weapon of choice.

Thanks!
-B
Old 09-20-2006, 05:19 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NJ-GT, that is a properly optioned car! What did you get the weight down to?

Quick Reply: Sunroof saga round 2 - PCNA response to my letter