Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sunroof saga round 2 - PCNA response to my letter

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:47 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I talked the talk and I walked the walk and passed up on my GT3 position...still I'm on the RS list...
Just curious about the decision of a couple of folks to pull their position (deposit) on the GT3 due to the sunroof debacle but still hang in for the RS. I know this has been discussed but what is the consensus as to what the RS is going to offer (for U.S. customers) above the GT3 other than a little more exclusivity, some cool color combo's, wide body, carbon wing? Has this been sorted out yet? Reason I ask is that I'm still a little unclear on what we're getting here in the U.S. for those extra $$.
Maybe it's worth it, but I do know this - you're gonna get a sunroof
Old 09-18-2006, 09:45 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Some are hoping that PCNA may change their minds on the RS as the body is different perhaps still a glimmer of hope
Old 09-18-2006, 09:53 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

^I think, at least in my case it's eternal optimism. At the same time although we've heard and many have alluded to what the 997 GT3RS will be like, we've yet to receive all the details from PCNA.

We know what the 997GT3 will be like but not 100% sure on the RS, so we'll wait and see. But like I said before those 360CS are really starting to look good.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:31 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

^I think, at least in my case it's eternal optimism. At the same time although we've heard and many have alluded to what the 997 GT3RS will be like, we've yet to receive all the details from PCNA.
I understand. But I'm afraid the current evidence points to PCNA(PAG?) screwing everyone equally; wide body included. Hope I'm wrong though.

But like I said before those 360CS are really starting to look good.
Yes indeed. Or a 996 GT3 in my case.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:06 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also angered by Porsches' latest product direction. I got off the 997 GT3 order list when I saw that it was going to have PSM. Does it really make sense for a raw car for the street to have a safety net that overrides the driver? Perhaps, but that is not why I buy Porsches. I then went out and purchased a 996 GT3 - and it exceeded all of my expectations. On the flip side, I much prefer the exterior looks of the 997 GT3, and still have an order for the RS. We shall see if that will be another RSA, or live up to the history of the "RS" logo and be a truly unique automobile for the ages. Until the Rennlist community has evaluated this new GT3 breed on the street and on the track, I will choose to sit on the sidelines with my new "classic" waiting for a favorable response...

-B
Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...We know what the 997GT3 will be like but not 100% sure on the RS, so we'll wait and see. But like I said before those 360CS are really starting to look good.
"Starting"? Those damn things looked awesome the day they arrived!

How about if we go and check that Tony Kanaan's CS that's for sale...
Old 09-19-2006, 10:38 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

I am surprised that a public company would allow this type of response. Has anyone tried contacting them via their investor relations group. Maybe enlightening them that a segment of their demographic is not pleased, the segment that sort of got them their "race car" image. Anyway, it might be a way to go and I would also consider sending a copy of this letter as well. If that does not work, contact some of their larger shareholders....

Financial Press and Investor Relations Department:
Phone: +49 (0) 711 911-25869
Fax: +49 (0) 711 911-26375
Old 09-19-2006, 11:40 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by icon
mjs,
have you driven a 360cs b/f?
if so what did you think?
jeff
Not under track conditions...but under hard street driving it is very impressive. It's in many ways perfect...looks, sound, balance, rawness, handling, acceleration and Ferrari mystique!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:42 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
"Starting"? Those damn things looked awesome the day they arrived!

How about if we go and check that Tony Kanaan's CS that's for sale...
you're right it's just that I never considered myself a Ferrari person...do you want to go Wednesday?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:44 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjb
Or a 996 GT3 in my case.
The only issue that I have with the 996GT3 is it's styling...I owned one and I don't think I really got over the 996 styling...
Old 09-19-2006, 12:08 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

The only issue that I have with the 996GT3 is it's styling...I owned one and I don't think I really got over the 996 styling...
I think I can live with the 996 styling for a little longer given what's under the "skin" of the 996 GT3.

But I do think the 997 GT3 is the best looking car in the 997 lineup. IMO much better than the Turbo.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:17 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mjb
I think I can live with the 996 styling for a little longer given what's under the "skin" of the 996 GT3.

But I do think the 997 GT3 is the best looking car in the 997 lineup. IMO much better than the Turbo.
Sorry I just don't subscribe to that "it's not a good looking car but it sure is fast" theory. I do agree that the 997 GT3 is the best looking 997 and the RS even more so.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:56 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Icon - thanks for the clarification regarding PSM. When I made my decision to buy the 996 back in July, the jury was still out. My perception of the 997 GT3 is changing as I can live with TC and more HP (thought the sunroof still ticks me off). I had never experienced PSM until two weeks ago at PDE, and throughly hated it on the skidpad and track. Sure, it would work wonders on a wet/snowy road, but IMHO it has no place on the track. It just felt too controlling.

I am really excited for a Rennlister to take delivery and post first thoughts... I love what I've got, but still am not a fan of the 996's styling (both internal and external). The 997 is so damn good looking with the 'almost' return to VDOs and the throwback 911 'single' headlights... It makes the 996 line look like an aberration in the 911 lineage. So if it improves on everything I've got now, then I need a new mistress!

-B
Old 09-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you're right it's just that I never considered myself a Ferrari person...do you want to go Wednesday?
Come on man, you'll fit right in, especially next year when we can even start wearing those Ferrari F1 t-shirts again!
Although I have to warn you, first time you'll show up in front of me with that CS, I'll probably have to punch you, it's so god damn great looking & sounding thing! Wednesday could work. Let's call later today.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:17 PM
ryce
Instructor

One of the things that makes the 996 gt3 special is the chassis. It bears the c4 chassis that is purportedly seam welded. The suckers are stiff. The cars are built on a special production line.

I've said it before about a 997 with a sunroof; I don't think you can really consider it a gt.

I'm keeping mine.

Quick Reply: Sunroof saga round 2 - PCNA response to my letter