Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Manual transmission in the next cars ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 03:12 PM
ralfabco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission in the next cars ?

Just curious if P will continue to offer the six speed manual, in their hi-end performance cars (GT3/RS/GT2/Turbo), after the introduction of the new paddle shift, or similar semi-auto box transmission ?

- I pay very little attention to paddle shift or semi-auto boxes offered by car companies. I may not have correctly stated the correct terminology for the upcoming future P transmission ? PGSK perhaps ?

Quite a few auto companies are more than happy to increasingly sell just these semi-auto paddle shift / sport auto shift transmissions. I understand some or all, are faster for track times. However I am more interested in staying more involved with the car.

It is only a matter of time, before you can no longer order a manual transmission hi-end performance car. Most of the old-fart buyers hate to shift .
Old 06-25-2006, 05:00 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Six speed will always be available. Although if the same people that like the idea of sun roof and nannys in the car grow we might see the basic tip in the next GT2
Old 06-25-2006, 06:11 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Porsche has been working on their twin-disc sequential for a long time. Rumor has it that the manual will continue indefinitely, and at some point they'll introduce the sequential and at that point, there would be little reason to keep the fully automatic.

I've driven Audi's version of the twin-disc, it really is an amazing transmission. I still prefer manual though.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:42 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree with 'roberga' if buyers continue to compromise on the wrong features of these cars it could be a land of fewer drive train choices.

When I visited the Porsche AG factory the tour guides were very proud to say that they are selling more vehicles with non standard gear boxes than standard (world wide).
Old 06-25-2006, 08:35 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Consider the new M5. Initial decision by BMW was there would be no manual - 7 speed SMG only. Enough US buyers beefed and they capitulated, but not after insulting the US (and other) enthusiast buyers. The insult - basically saying that the rest of the world market had accepted the "superior engineering" of the SMG, but the "backwards thinking" US buyers wanted the old fashioned tranny.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:05 AM
Mad Manx
Instructor

The manual transmission still has a long way to go in sports cars.

Porsche's development of DSG is apparently scheduled for '09MY, and this could be a very attractive alternative.

Tiptronic is old torque converter auto box technology, which Porsche needed to widen its market, but this is more likely to be retired once DSG is established.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:40 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ralfabco
Most of the old-fart buyers hate to shift
??

In the Ferrari world, it's the old-fart buyers who insist on ordering the gated shifter. I suspect it'll be the same with Porsche in a few years.

Enjoy it while you can.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:08 AM
ralfabco
Advanced

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
??

In the Ferrari world, it's the old-fart buyers who insist on ordering the gated shifter. I suspect it'll be the same with Porsche in a few years.

Enjoy it while you can.

It is also unfortunate that a lot of F and L car buyers, are also buying these autoboxes for resale value. - The salesman will tell the buyer, that you will lose money (with the six speed), when it comes time to sell or trade-in. It also does not hurt the dealership, that it costs a few more pennies for an autobox.

You're wife can drive it too

Quick Reply: Manual transmission in the next cars ?