Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RMS leak advice needed...'07 gt3

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 12:44 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Did you notice the chirping with the Turbo RMS too? Only at idle, once revs are applied it goes away.
Just adding a data point - my .2 is an early production (July '09 build) and a low mileage (300 miles/year) that has chirped since new, but has never leaked a drop. Will now flood my floor for posting this to the internets. ;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by Clifton:
JpCrp (06-14-2024), pcar1 (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 07:43 PM
pcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback, gents.

Originally Posted by flat6fan18
I've been told that the RMS will 'weep' when not driven. I noticed something similar to that when I did not drive the car for a couple weeks. Never noticed it again when I drove it consistently every weekend.

I think your car wants you to drive it more.
I can only hope -- I'm driving it at least weekly right now.
My guess is this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...eak-again.html
As I'm sure most in this thread are aware, Porsche released a bulletin stating that the RMS leak is "normal" if it is not driven. Granted, I'm guessing we can all say any leak is not normal and it could have been them simply trying to get out of warranty repairs.
That's the prior thread I was referring to...
Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I dont' know what this thread you speak of is. Can you post up the link?

Also, my .1 had RMS rebar by McKenna Porsche by original owner. Second owner bought it then my as the third owner. I installed an RSS center delete and once again it started leaking. I lived with it for almost 10 years as it only leaked when parked and not when the car was running, as evidenced by a clean engine. The leak was small but not super small. I'll look for a pic and try to post up if I have the time. Anyways, I then installed a full Brombacher exhaust system and the leak stopped and never returned. So the dealer's stating that the leak can be caused by the exhaust, which I always thought was hogwash, well maybe there's something to that. Who knows.

What's alarming is that this warrantied RMS repair only lasted 2,000 miles. Who did the work, are they close and, if they are legit, will they replace again for free?
It's a reputable shop and they may replace it on their dime once more. If no improvement, I'll not sweat it.
I’m wondering if the cardboard is making the leak look bigger than it actually is. For instance, if you have a drop of water on your table, it’ll be pretty small and contained. If you place that same drop on a napkin, it is going to spread out.

Mine had a small RMS leak, never a huge concern to me. Was maybe a drop or two after a couple of days of sitting.

If you replace with the Turbo rear main seal, it’ll stop the leak, but it will make a chirping sound at idle. I confirmed with Alex at Sharkwerks that this is normal and doesn’t cause any harm.
Good point -- I'll try this again with something non-absorbent.
Originally Posted by jreifler
We just did both FMS and RMS in mine. FMS had gotten quite bad, but RMS was more like yours. We used the Turbo seal.

Good excuse for RS re-gear and flywheel / clutch package.
Yes, re-gear on the list for the future; already has RS flywheel/pulley/clutch.
The following users liked this post:
jreifler (06-13-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 10:19 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 133 Posts

I weep when I dont drive it enough.

How many miles on your clutch with the RS conversion? you know?

I have to do mine (and it has the conversion), my PP is super stiff. I just sat and shifted two SW cars and theirs were butter compared to mine....

Let's drive when you can, pm or cell me.....Cheers, M
The following 3 users liked this post by mikes70:
jreifler (06-13-2024), pcar1 (06-12-2024), RAudi Driver (06-24-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 11:17 PM
pcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes70
I weep when I dont drive it enough.

How many miles on your clutch with the RS conversion? you know?

I have to do mine (and it has the conversion), my PP is super stiff. I just sat and shifted two SW cars and theirs were butter compared to mine....

Let's drive when you can, pm or cell me.....Cheers, M
Just over 5k miles on the RS parts: plenty of chatter at idle, really quick to rev, and very smooth action. Time will tell if that changes or not. Will reach out on a weekend soon for a drive.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:08 PM
ard
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar1
Just over 5k miles on the RS parts: plenty of chatter at idle, really quick to rev, and very smooth action. Time will tell if that changes or not. Will reach out on a weekend soon for a drive.
@pcar1 LMK when you go for a drive. I'd love to join.
pcar1 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 03:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Only address this if you have a reason to address other issues (ie trans or engine out).

These seals weep and can drip. Mine has some weeping, it doesn't drip though.

My shop used the turbo seal, which mine has.

Drive the car more is the fix fwiw. My 2.8L 71, if I drive it regularly it doesn't drip. When it sits for more than a week it will drip a bit. Shops response: Drive your cars more :-)
pcar1 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 08:40 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

If it sits more than you drive it, don't replace it.
pcar1 (06-18-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 09:34 AM
FLT6
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, 07 GT3 here, and I have very similar history as you. The RMS was replaced very early on in the car's life, due to what I can assume was some sort of leaking (don't have the full records from back then). I noticed a leak the same size as yours, when I first got the car; also some smoke on startup. It has gotten a lot better lately, as during the warm months, I drive the car every 2-3 weeks and get everything up to temp. It rarely smokes on start-up now, and also drips much less! I've read possibly every thread on this issue, twice, and it seems that this is normal for these engines. I've never come across a "perfect" solution to get it to stop weeping/leaking.
pcar1 (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 09:42 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,075 Likes on 2,108 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6
Hi, 07 GT3 here, and I have very similar history as you. The RMS was replaced very early on in the car's life, due to what I can assume was some sort of leaking (don't have the full records from back then). I noticed a leak the same size as yours, when I first got the car; also some smoke on startup. It has gotten a lot better lately, as during the warm months, I drive the car every 2-3 weeks and get everything up to temp. It rarely smokes on start-up now, and also drips much less! I've read possibly every thread on this issue, twice, and it seems that this is normal for these engines. I've never come across a "perfect" solution to get it to stop weeping/leaking.
Yes, smoke on startup and leaking are both normal.

While some seem to have gotten it to stop leaking with the GT3 seal, the permanent fix does seem to be the Turbo RMS.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
pcar1 (06-24-2024), Robocop305 (06-24-2024)

Quick Reply: RMS leak advice needed...'07 gt3