Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Numeric Racing - Still in business?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2024, 09:02 AM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by KingSize.Hamster
having tried Numeric cables, I don’t think I have the energy and drive to try the Function First cables. Maybe if the cables are provided with money back guarantee I might do it, but still a lot for labor cost etc. I just don’t know how these would reduce the noise part given how similar they look to the Numeric ones. The FF cables look far closer to Numeric ones than the discontinued Cup …
Function First is a sponsor on Rennlist and usually pretty responsive. Probably not a bad idea to reach out to them to find out what it is about their cables that makes them different from Numeric’s as far as nvh goes. I’m sure they’d be willing to go through into detail and are familiar with Numeric’s product?through development of their own.
Old 08-09-2024, 02:24 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Vocan
Function First is a sponsor on Rennlist and usually pretty responsive. Probably not a bad idea to reach out to them to find out what it is about their cables that makes them different from Numeric’s as far as nvh goes. I’m sure they’d be willing to go through into detail and are familiar with Numeric’s product?through development of their own.
ya. I have sent an email over earlier. Let’s see what they come back with
Old 08-10-2024, 12:03 AM
2root4u
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
Did you have a chance to drive a 997 GT3 with the shifter & cables before you purchased?

Unique to the 997 GT3 cars, the feedback from people who have installed them is that it makes the car worse than stock (whereas it's a major upgrade on most of the non-GT cars). I did the upgrade, Numeric shifter and cables in my 997.1 RS. Honestly, I wanted to love it. It was horrible, the cables specifically. Exactly as you mentioned, way too much effort without any additional precision. Also significantly increased the 'notchiness' of the gearbox over stock, no matter how many adjustments I made. I ended up removing the cables, replacing with new OEM cables, and keeping the shifter (and setting to the longest throw configuration). I enjoy it now.

Check out Obsessed Garage's youtube videos of his 997.2 GT3RS giveaway when he first got the car, it had the Numeric shifter and cables in it and he talks a lot about how bad the shifting is. He actually thought the gearbox was damaged and was going to send it out for rebuild before people in the comment sections of his videos pointed out the numeric stuff and to put it back to stock.

Just my experience with the same 'upgrade' and I've seen a lot of the same feedback elsewhere for the 997 GT3/RS platform.
I have not driven any other shifter/cable setup than my stock 997.2 RS. I'm basically in the same situation -- wanted to love it, and honestly didn't mind stock all that much, but this just wasn't an upgrade. Was just looking for a bit more precision and other folks at HPDEs (albeit different cars) raved about their numeric setup. I did change the setting to the longest throw for last HPDE, and it helped with finding the right gear. However, really no better than stock except more notchy.

From what I'm reading above, sounds like I may want to try stock cables with the Function First ends next.
The following users liked this post:
KingSize.Hamster (08-13-2024)
Old 08-13-2024, 06:57 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Has anyone tried the Ben Auto Design shifter? This uses the factory cables so no death rattle for those who hate that sort of stuff...

https://benautodesign.fr/en/
Old 08-15-2024, 12:18 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by KingSize.Hamster
ya. I have sent an email over earlier. Let’s see what they come back with
Out of curiosity did you end up hearing back from them? Curious what they said on the differences between the Numeric cables and theirs.
Old 08-15-2024, 02:01 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Originally Posted by Vocan
Out of curiosity did you end up hearing back from them? Curious what they said on the differences between the Numeric cables and theirs.
nope. I have sent them a message via the form on the website and emailed them separately. I have not heard back
Old 08-15-2024, 02:20 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

My current setup is the stock cables with function first shift right cable ends, and a CAE shifter. It absolutely fixes all the things that I hate about the stock setup and doesn't seem to introduce extra noise. My only complaint is that the CAE looks a little silly, but It reinvigorated my interest in driving the car. I had the car down to Brian Copans' shop for some help with the limited slip, and he said it was the best aftermarket shifter he's ever driven in a 997.
The following 2 users liked this post by Auto_Werks 3.6:
changster123 (08-16-2024), KingSize.Hamster (08-15-2024)
Old Today, 04:49 AM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 80 Posts

Finally got the time to install my Numeric!
Before:
After:
Absolutely love it compared to stock. My RS has Cup cables with stock shifter and I will have to drive both back to back to compare.

Last edited by SupraSaiyan; Today at 04:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KingSize.Hamster (Today)
Old Today, 05:54 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan
Finally got the time to install my Numeric!
Do you have the single mass flywheel?

Let us know how that goes with comparison. These video comparison is perfect.

Now I just gotta revert back to factory cables from my Numeric ones. I think it’s transmitting too much of the drivetrain chatter from LWFW.

I have been contemplating between reverting back to stock entirely (and do function first shift right kit) … but maybe do cables first after seeing your video …

Last edited by KingSize.Hamster; Today at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing - Still in business?