Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Numeric Racing - Still in business?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 12:12 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
you mean the rattle that causes my wife make a face of disgust cause it’s a $300k car? Yea she quickly forgets about it when I driver over bumps and she is reminded how impractical the car really is for date night
Ahhh ok. Then too bad. Key is to get rid of the buzz. Need to remove the cables then ... Oh wells ...

I told my wife "See! Sound goes away when clutch is in!". Then she asked if we could get home with the clutch in all the time ...
Old 07-26-2024, 12:16 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by KingSize.Hamster
Ahhh ok. Then too bad. Key is to get rid of the buzz. Need to remove the cables then ... Oh wells ...

I told my wife "See! Sound goes away when clutch is in!". Then she asked if we could get home with the clutch in all the time ...
yea, my gt3 without LWFW and numeric was much more refined in her mind. You’ll still hear the buzz even without the numeric cables if you have LWFW, just a little less.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:31 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
yea, my gt3 without LWFW and numeric was much more refined in her mind. You’ll still hear the buzz even without the numeric cables if you have LWFW, just a little less.
Ya. I remember sitting in a 7.2 3.8 RS, and the flywheel chatter didn't sound that bad. Or maybe cuz it wasn't my car, so the sensitivity is dumbed way down lol
Old 07-26-2024, 01:15 AM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks. Ya. Very likely I'll just put the stock cables back in. This is just a street car. Hopefully I won't lose too much of the stiffness/rigidity. The reason why I went for this setup is due to the amount of flex (not slop or play) when I'm shifting. It feels like my effort is spent on flexing some plastic or pushing through some rubber along the way before it gets to actual shifting.
i've never had that feeling with my .2 non-RS shifter... you sure there isn't a broken bushing in your shifter somewhere? i have felt this (like it's difficult to get into gear sometimes, or will not directly engage without some wiggling) on other cars with getrag transmissions and it's usually busted rubber bushings on the shifter mount somewhere. fixed with new oem or aftermarket bushings. remote mounted shifters aren't attached to the tranny so they get pushed around with a lot of leverage and then the linkage amplifies the wiggle.

Last edited by chiffonade; 07-26-2024 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2024, 02:41 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Originally Posted by chiffonade
i've never had that feeling with my .2 non-RS shifter... you sure there isn't a broken bushing in your shifter somewhere? i have felt this (like it's difficult to get into gear sometimes, or will not directly engage without some wiggling) on other cars with getrag transmissions and it's usually busted rubber bushings on the shifter mount somewhere. fixed with new oem or aftermarket bushings. remote mounted shifters aren't attached to the tranny so they get pushed around with a lot of leverage and then the linkage amplifies the wiggle.
Ya. Definitely nothing broken. I looked at the shifter and cables in detail when removed, and it looked very new. If anything, my car's shifter already feels the tightest compared to some of the 997 GT3 cars with stock shifter I have taken a look at, partly because of the mileage and likely due to previous owner's driving habit. Although this isn't entirely a good indication, the clutch that came out still looked very new on the friction plate side while the flywheel barely had any hot spots.

I know I'm being really picky here on the shifter ...

It's probably a combination of flex in the plastic parts throughout the shifter, stretch in the cables and dampening from the plastic/rubber cable ends that's driving this during shifts.

I think it's because the GT3 transmission requires a lot of effort to row through the gears, and each and every part of the factory shifter+cable would end up stretching/flexing just a tiny bit
Old 07-27-2024, 02:04 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Ya. Definitely nothing broken. I looked at the shifter and cables in detail when removed, and it looked very new. If anything, my car's shifter already feels the tightest compared to some of the 997 GT3 cars with stock shifter I have taken a look at, partly because of the mileage and likely due to previous owner's driving habit. Although this isn't entirely a good indication, the clutch that came out still looked very new on the friction plate side while the flywheel barely had any hot spots.

I know I'm being really picky here on the shifter ...

It's probably a combination of flex in the plastic parts throughout the shifter, stretch in the cables and dampening from the plastic/rubber cable ends that's driving this during shifts.

I think it's because the GT3 transmission requires a lot of effort to row through the gears, and each and every part of the factory shifter+cable would end up stretching/flexing just a tiny bit
The problem is 2 fold on the 997GT3 cars regarding the shifter. First of all, the 997GT3 shift **** itself is shorter compared to the 996GT3 which effectively shortens its throw as the top of the know sits about 1/2" lower. Secondly, the 997.2GT3 shifter assembly itself has about 10% shorter throw compared to the 996GT3 or 996Cup shifter. These two items put together is what make the shorter throws of the 997GT3 shifter feel notchier with more effort required. I much prefer the longer throw of the 996Cup shifter which is what I have in my race car along with the Cup cables. Less effort and smoother as a result of the longer throw. I have a couple of spare 996Cup shifters on the shelf and may swap one in my 7.2GT3 although the stock shifter doesn't bother me for the occasion times I use the car on the street.

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-27-2024 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2024, 02:51 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The problem is 2 fold on the 997GT3 cars regarding the shifter. First of all, the 997GT3 shift **** itself is shorter compared to the 996GT3 which effectively shortens its throw as the top of the know sits about 1/2" lower. Secondly, the 997.2GT3 shifter assembly itself has about 10% shorter throw compared to the 996GT3 or 996Cup shifter. These two items put together is what make the shorter throws of the 997GT3 shifter feel notchier with more effort required. I much prefer the longer throw of the 996Cup shifter which is what I have in my race car along with the Cup cables. Less effort and smoother as a result of the longer throw. I have a couple of spare 996Cup shifters on the shelf and may swap one in my 7.2GT3 although the stock shifter doesn't bother me for the occasion times I use the car on the street.
Makes sense. I tried the middle setting on the Numeric shifter. I've no desire to get the throw shorter, and the increased shifting effort isn't worth it. I placed it back to lowest hole (or the longest throw / tallest setting on the shifter), and the shifting effort is very close to stock. I prefer it that way.
Old 07-31-2024, 09:15 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,064 Likes on 507 Posts

Makes sense. I tried the middle setting on the Numeric shifter. I've no desire to get the throw shorter, and the increased shifting effort isn't worth it. I placed it back to lowest hole (or the longest throw / tallest setting on the shifter), and the shifting effort is very close to stock. I prefer it that way.
If you don’t get what you want after these adjustments, you might consider the Function First kit on the stock shifter. I did not enjoy the Numeric shifter on my .2 GT3. I LOVE the Function First kit on my .1RS.
Old 07-31-2024, 09:22 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Originally Posted by jreifler
If you don’t get what you want after these adjustments, you might consider the Function First kit on the stock shifter. I did not enjoy the Numeric shifter on my .2 GT3. I LOVE the Function First kit on my .1RS.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's actually the alternative I'm thinking if it's really bothering me. So, either:
  1. stock cables + FF kit, or
  2. Numeric cables + FF kit
Does the Function First kit give you a similar rigid feeling in the over the stock setup? And are you using factory or Numeric cables?

Not looking to increase the shifting effort, but just want less flex when moving through the gears. I'm actually quite happy with the overall shift feeling now with shifter set to longest throw (the other two holes just made shifting too difficult). It's just that there is this buzz that's kinda annoying at lower revs. Idling I don't really mind

Old 07-31-2024, 09:32 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,064 Likes on 507 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. That's actually the alternative I'm thinking if it's really bothering me. So, either:
  1. stock cables + FF kit, or
  2. Numeric cables + FF kit
Does the Function First kit give you a similar rigid feeling in the over the stock setup? And are you using factory or Numeric cables?

Not looking to increase the shifting effort, but just want less flex when moving through the gears. I'm actually quite happy with the overall shift feeling now with shifter set to longest throw (the other two holes just made shifting too difficult). It's just that there is this buzz that's kinda annoying at lower revs. Idling I don't really mind
Factory cables. The FF kits essentially just replaces all the plastic bits with metal. So it doesn’t really impact effort at all. Just significantly “tightens” the whole assembly, and eliminates all slop.
The following users liked this post:
KingSize.Hamster (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 09:45 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Originally Posted by jreifler
Factory cables. The FF kits essentially just replaces all the plastic bits with metal. So it doesn’t really impact effort at all. Just significantly “tightens” the whole assembly, and eliminates all slop.
That's awesome then. You didn't like the Numeric kit on the 7.2 cuz of the notchiness?
Old 08-05-2024, 10:44 PM
pputkowski
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 63 Posts

I recently installed a numeric in my car with cup cables and absolutely love it. Definitely a change (in a good way) coming from a stock shifter and tired cables but it became instinctive pretty quickly. Give it some time before you make more changes IMO.
The following users liked this post:
KingSize.Hamster (08-06-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 09:42 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Noticed that Function First has released their own cables called Premium Shifter Cables: https://www.function-first.com/produ...cables-996-997

The site noted that it has no issue with noise (when compared to "Competition" cables, which is very likely referring to Numeric ones). I'm curious how Function First is achieving that. Optically these FF cables look very similar to Numeric's ...

Old 08-08-2024, 05:53 AM
pputkowski
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 63 Posts

Noticed that Function First has released their own cables called Premium Shifter Cables: https://www.function-first.com/produ...cables-996-997

The site noted that it has no issue with noise (when compared to "Competition" cables, which is very likely referring to Numeric ones). I'm curious how Function First is achieving that. Optically these FF cables look very similar to Numeric's ...

They aren't going to be any easier to install and the fitment of Cup/Numeric cables is spot on. "Smoothness" is an interesting metric as is "low noise". My cup cables added some noise but it's barely noticeable, definitely not enough to cause complaints. More power to them for continuing to bring new products to the market, I'll be interested to hear once someone installs them who has experience with the Numeric cables.
Old 08-09-2024, 07:21 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Originally Posted by pputkowski
They aren't going to be any easier to install and the fitment of Cup/Numeric cables is spot on. "Smoothness" is an interesting metric as is "low noise". My cup cables added some noise but it's barely noticeable, definitely not enough to cause complaints. More power to them for continuing to bring new products to the market, I'll be interested to hear once someone installs them who has experience with the Numeric cables.
having tried Numeric cables, I don’t think I have the energy and drive to try the Function First cables. Maybe if the cables are provided with money back guarantee I might do it, but still a lot for labor cost etc. I just don’t know how these would reduce the noise part given how similar they look to the Numeric ones. The FF cables look far closer to Numeric ones than the discontinued Cup cables

I likely will revert back to stock cables and function first cable ends + maybe the bearings and metal bits for the shifter.

Nothing against Numeric. The Numeric setup worked wonders on my 981 GT4, but it just doesn’t quite suit the 997.2 GT3 cars … at least for me … so ya, gonna sell mine soon once I get around to bring the car to the shop …

Last edited by KingSize.Hamster; 08-09-2024 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing - Still in business?