Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Silver or Black Wheels - Help my indecisiveness

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 08:38 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
Whats the biggest difference for paint vs. powder coating?
Powder holds up a bit better. Paint can be touched up. Paint has a better finish I’d say, you can see the numbers on the wheel better. Also, the best way to get the exact 9A1 color code is by using paint. Powdercoated wheels typically won’t match exactly. On a forged wheel, you either want to use low temp powdercoat which is what HRE does, or you want to use paint. Powdercoating a forged wheel at too high of a temp can weaken the wheel. BBS paints their wheels.
The following users liked this post:
ljmartyre (01-14-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 09:33 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Powder holds up a bit better. Paint can be touched up. Paint has a better finish I’d say, you can see the numbers on the wheel better. Also, the best way to get the exact 9A1 color code is by using paint. Powdercoated wheels typically won’t match exactly. On a forged wheel, you either want to use low temp powdercoat which is what HRE does, or you want to use paint. Powdercoating a forged wheel at too high of a temp can weaken the wheel. BBS paints their wheels.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll keep that in mind for when I redo my wheels from back to satin platinum
Old 01-14-2024, 12:18 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,925 Likes on 1,731 Posts

I'll add that taking powder coating off a wheel for a refinish isn't as easy as paint. Paint is king!
MKIVdan (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 07:25 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
Thanks for the explanation. I'll keep that in mind for when I redo my wheels from back to satin platinum
For sure, I'll also give @ljmartyre credit on the point about powder not matching. Since I'm after the exact color/finish that the center caps will be and I want it to be exactly as factory was, I'm going for paint.

Again, thanks to everyone for the input.
MKIVdan (01-14-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 11:58 PM
wahoo55
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts

You can always combine the two. I love these.

Old 01-17-2024, 09:11 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Gunna ask the dumb question since you didn't come out and say it exactly, but does Porsche use paint or powder coat on their wheels? And is the finish type consistent or dependent on the wheel/vehicle model?
Old 01-17-2024, 09:32 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ranger22
Gunna ask the dumb question since you didn't come out and say it exactly, but does Porsche use paint or powder coat on their wheels? And is the finish type consistent or dependent on the wheel/vehicle model?
Porsche paints their wheels, at least the 996 and 997 wheels. To my knowledge they don’t powdercoat their wheels, at least not their modern wheels. Not sure what they did regarding G body cars or prior. Another thing you can keep in mind is BBS paints their wheels and Porsche uses BBS for many of their wheels. The 997.1 GT3 wheel in particular was made by a company called Ronal.

When you say finish type, can you specify what you mean by that? They use various different finishes. For instance, they’ve used satin finishes on some of their 991 wheels like for the GT3. On the 997.1 GT3, the finish was gloss.

Let me know if that doesn’t answer your question.

Quick Reply: Silver or Black Wheels - Help my indecisiveness