Removing Old PPF from gt3??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 04:03 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 474 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by haripin
@RapidGT
Paint is original but so is the PPF -- been on there since 2010ish from what I understand. It's starting to yellow so I'd like to have a professional remove it and ppf the entire car but I was advised that there is a chance some of the paint could lift off on removal.
My car had original front PPF and rocker panel that began to yellow. I took it off myself and it was fine until the outside temp dropped then it became a chore. I had a professional get off a touch of the residue left before applying new PPF.

It looks brand new. I think if I were to do it over again, I would just have the professional take it off with a proper heat gun, but my car looks brand new, just go slow or have someone you trust do it and you will be fine.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:55 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 492 Posts

I've done this a few more times than I care to recall. Bottom line - with adequate care, patience, and beer, any PPF will come off without harming your paint.

I just finished a job on my RS America, which may have had the first PPF ever installed on a vehicle. It was terrible. But it's off, and no harm was done.

If you have the means, take it to a professional. If you're a sadist, get a heat gun, steamer, and as much of this product as you can get:
Amazon Amazon

That stuff will literally melt the PPF away. But it's still a huge PITA. You can combine with one of these: https://www.autogeek.net/bf-bug-sponge.html That'll go a long way against the residue, and for really stubborn bits, don't be scared to use a plastic razor blade. CAVEAT - You MUST then paint correct, b/c the razor blade will impart superficial scratches, but you'll need a full paint correction after PPF removal anyway.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:47 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 747 Likes on 391 Posts

If removed properly, use steam and nice/slow pull, there shouldn't be an issue

Residue can be removed with a solvent like CarPro TarX

If paint does lift, rare on OEM paint on metal, but possible on plastic areas, document the damage, and have a very reputable shop that specializes in Porsche do the repair

It's catch 22...if you don't remove it, the uncertainty will be a concern for you and future owner...if you do remove it, possible lifting, but at least you'll know for sure

IMHO, I'd remove it and hope for the best
Old 06-16-2023, 09:43 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 612 Posts

Yea my ppf guy said most older Porsches are fine except the plastic bumpers And some headlights.

Any large PPF removal will require a paint correction imo because it’s almost guaranteed going to get surface scratches removing excess adhesive.

I did my roof as a test but I’m procrastinating because a $7k ppf + $1500 correction +$500 removal + $600 graphics sounds annoying

only common advice the videos have around both adhesive and avoiding paint removal is DONT peal ppf back, pull it up and toward the lose end

Last edited by Wonderdan; 06-16-2023 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:24 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 289 Posts

my ppf is over the RS graphcis. there is a slight outline evident.
no issues removing 8 year old original film (buff & beyond not me)

Quick Reply: Removing Old PPF from gt3??