Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
sulfuric smell? cat's on their way out.
Yup. My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:06 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by haripin
I don't want a garage queen. I don't want a GT3 with cracked rotors, obvious entire body repaint, needs all control arms in the rear replaced, seats removed, airbag light reset (twice), brake sensors missing, and absence of service records for the last decade. lol
Drilled rotors crack, even when street driven. It's not an overheat problem. I use slotted and dimpled rotors for that reason. I don't bother with brake pad sensors. Just a waste of money for something you should catch with periodic inspection on your own.

Control arms is a little strange, particularly at 30K miles. Are they bad now or have they already been replaced (and with what)?

If the paint bothers you, have the car checked at a certified Porsche body shop. Experienced eyes will catch things (if they exist).

It's not the paint I would be worried about, but actual repaired damage to the body or undercarriage that concerns me. Look, I have 150K miles on my car and bumpers and hood resprayed due to road rash and rocks—no accidents! This kind of wear and tear is just a fact of life. Just had the one mirror chipped from a rock last week. **** happens, garage rash happens. Does that make a car no good? Only if you are entering a concourse event or you plan to flip it. If it is priced fairly and there is no discernible body work from an accident (which probably would be caught with CarFax and certainly by a certified body shop), offer what you think is a fair price and sort out the brakes and suspension yourself. You probably will want to upgrade the suspension anyway to something like Ohlins for the street or a more expensive track oriented setup. The OEM is kind of a meh setup.

Don't fret the engines, either. Mine came out for a refresh of the valves at 143K, but the lower end is fine. I have more series 1 over-revs than the number of raisins in six boxes of of Raisin Bran. Series 2 and above would be a different matter if recent.

The GT3s are some of the best cars Porsche has ever made, if not the best. If this isn't the one, so be it, but don't sweat the small stuff.

Last edited by Marv; 06-02-2023 at 06:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Marv:
Elliotw44 (06-20-2023), Robocop305 (06-02-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 04:57 AM
Apferrr
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can pull the vin off of one of his pictures. I know, eagle eye here, lol. The car's vin is: WP0AC29967S793229

It's for sale at: https://www.themotorvenue.com/invent...orsche-911-GT3

Haripin, pass on that car. I saw those pictures you sent. It's a pass. Prices are coming down and the longer you look the better deal will prevail. In addition, these car's are constantly coming up for sale. I know you don't want black but that black in the classifieds is a nice car and it's been for sale for a quite a while. Maybe you can get him to toss in those wheels or the seats or both. Who knows. I'll answer you pm shortly.

And speaking of Eagle Eye, my buddy just got back from an Alaska fishing trip and brought his camera. One of many pictures he took:

This was extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-03-2023, 05:01 AM
Apferrr
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apferrr
This was extremely helpful. Thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted by haripin
Now that's a shot! Hope your buddy has a long lens -- that would be too close for my taste.

Here is what I learned about this car for anyone else this may be helpful for:
  • It is my opinion that the previous owner (i.e., third owner) was pretty frugal. Wouldn't say he neglected the car but type of guy who would use cheap oil in the engine to save $5. I cannot relate, at all;
  • Car had sport seats "put in," according to Porsche dealership who reset the airbag light on it, twice in or around 2012/2013;
  • Service inspection at that time by that dealership showed leak on the "transmission boot";
  • Front rotors are cracked -- obvious overheat/heat wear;
  • Rear upper control arms are shot (both rear upper forward and rear upper rear);
  • Noticeable clutch chatter;
  • Does not idle consistently (e.g., at idle, oil pressure gauge sporadically bounces between 1.25 BAR to 1.6 BAR). The idle almost sounds like it is slightly missing.
  • Noted paint meter readings in this thread (see above)
  • Several wheels have paint peeling off, and Carfax shows "wheel(s) repaired". My best guess is the wheels were repainted and not by Porsche.
  • Strong sulfuric smell, and white smoke at start up.
  • Also, when I arrived at the dealership to look at the car, the engine was warm already -- that was strong signal for me.
Thanks, and hope this helps someone in the future.

Thank you for the details!
Old 06-03-2023, 12:40 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,977 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Paging @haripin . Go look at the silver .2 on the cars for sale thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
haripin (06-03-2023), Robocop305 (06-03-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 11:22 AM
haripin
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

**Update on WP0AC29967S793229***

The Motor Venue flipped this car over to The Toy Barn in Ohio. Take a look at their reviews on Google, looks like some people don't think they are the most honest or forthcoming with information.

Link at The Toy Barn: https://www.toybarncars.com/used/Por...rader_listings

Old 06-12-2023, 01:47 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

@haripin Here's another one in Ca.

https://www.westcoastexoticcars.com/...11-gt3-c-1381/
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 07:37 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 272 Posts

It shows sold in the website.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:41 PM
haripin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robocop305
They swapped inventory or did a deal with The Toy Barn to move it off of their inventory so it appears like they sold it. Cars that sit around for too long start to look bad.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:26 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Are you talking about the Motor Venue silver.1 or the West Coast Exotics silver .1? Both show sold and I'll bet both just went to another dealership. People are thinking that these cars are not lasting on the market when in fact they are not selling.
Old 06-13-2023, 12:52 AM
haripin
Instructor

Are you talking about the Motor Venue silver.1 or the West Coast Exotics silver .1? Both show sold and I'll bet both just went to another dealership. People are thinking that these cars are not lasting on the market when in fact they are not selling.
Correct. It got flipped to another used car chop sho..I mean used car dealership called The Toy Barn. They even used the images The Motor Venue took … oh, and they increased the price to $138k from $134k

Same car (and pictures) that was listed at The Motor Venue. For anyone coming across this, read this thread, almost the entire car was repainted and suspension is busted in the rear but spanking new in the front, consistent with a wreck.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:16 AM
M Coop
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting and useful thread... I have a white 7.2 that will be coming to market soon. I've owned it for 10 years and I've performed the routine maintenance for the 13,000 miles I put on during that time. I did fear that the lack of carfax info would be something that would shed a very negative light but this thread has helped tamp down those fears. In addition to receipts/service spreadsheet, DME report, & paint meter readings, is there anything else anyone looking at a car with this type of record-keeping would be interested in? I'm gathering this now and want to be as thorough as possible when I present in the coming weeks. Thank you for any additional insight!
Old 06-19-2023, 03:04 PM
Belinko
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

It really depends on how OCD you are. For me (3rd owner), fortunately 1st owner (factory maintained with all records) and 2nd owners had all receipts from all work performed, upon purchase there was a folder with the documents. Personally, I have a single word document where I show copies of receipts (images), description of what is going on, purchased P/N's, mileage, date, if it's a modification or oil change or track day. Basically anything that you purchase for the car.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:07 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

I bought my car from Doug at Switchcars and he scanned all the service records he had in is possession and put them in a PDF. I continue this along with an excel spreadsheet for my records along with any future owner.

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 -- Good looking car but no service history