Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 -- Good looking car but no service history

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 11:39 AM
haripin
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Some more updates here. Looks like this car may have a story.

In or around 2010-2013, the car had it's airbag light reset (twice) by the dealership. The light was reset to install sport seats. This is odd because the sticker on the car shows it came with sport adaptative seats. So this means the seats were removed and put back in. When they removed the seats, it triggered an airbag light, requiring reset from the dealership. This is consistent with a car that was completely resprayed.

The brake rotors were also noted as cracked in 2013 and the brake pad sensors had been removed. That cracking was consistent with the condition I saw on the front rotors yesterday, so it looks like they are the same cracked rotors. That cracking happens under extreme heat, like, on a track.

A leak from the transmission boot was noted. This could be an indication that the under of the car came into contact with uneven/hard surface. Like, for example, going off track (ask me how I know).

I am passing on this car. Not the right example for me and too many indications now that, in my opinion, the car was involved in a not insignificant accident.

Thank you all for your help and attention to this thread. You guys all really helped me out and I am always amazed at the quality and enthusiasm of the collective wisdom on here. If you do hear of anyone looking to sell a 997.1 GT3, preferably in Artic or GT Silver, please ping me. I am actively looking for a quality example to cherish.

Last edited by haripin; 06-01-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:57 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

FWIW, seats being removed could have simply been putting buckets in for track use. Cracked rotors are mostly from track use. Caliper color will be red or yellow. If track use is high they turn purple/orange.

So nothing in those items would deter me, as you can pretty easily tell from general chassis and body condition track use.

The repaint could be a concern. If you are measuring with film/without you will see differences in the metering. It is also odd to have film on a gas cap and not a fender. Like I said, I use a meter, but I always use my eyes too, especially as these cars age and are polished the meter numbers can vary a fair bit and the factory numbers have some variation from panel to panel.

But if you're not getting good vibes just pass. Sounds like you want more of a garage queen so just plan to pay up.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 12:01 PM
haripin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
FWIW, seats being removed could have simply been putting buckets in for track use. Cracked rotors are mostly from track use. Caliper color will be red or yellow. If track use is high they turn purple/orange.

So nothing in those items would deter me, as you can pretty easily tell from general chassis and body condition track use.

The repaint could be a concern. If you are measuring with film/without you will see differences in the metering. It is also odd to have film on a gas cap and not a fender. Like I said, I use a meter, but I always use my eyes too, especially as these cars age and are polished the meter numbers can vary a fair bit and the factory numbers have some variation from panel to panel.

But if you're not getting good vibes just pass. Sounds like you want more of a garage queen so just plan to pay up.
I don't want a garage queen. I don't want a GT3 with cracked rotors, obvious entire body repaint, needs all control arms in the rear replaced, seats removed, airbag light reset (twice), brake sensors missing, and absence of service records for the last decade. lol
Old 06-01-2023, 12:16 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by haripin
I don't want a garage queen. I don't want a GT3 with cracked rotors, obvious entire body repaint, needs all control arms in the rear replaced, seats removed, airbag light reset (twice), brake sensors missing, and absence of service records for the last decade. lol
Obviously some of those things are concerning (primarily paint to me) but I wouldn't put the seats being out or airbag light being reset as even minor concerns. It's very easy to trip an airbag light on these cars and most of the time it's nothing even remotely concerning.

These cars are 16 years old at this point. It's very unlikely that you're going to find one that needs absolutely nothing done to it. Not saying you're wrong for passing on this car necessarily but it's something you should keep in the back of your mind.

Last edited by Vocan; 06-01-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Robocop305 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 12:22 PM
haripin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vocan
Obviously some of those things are concerning (primarily paint to me) but I wouldn't even put the seats being out or airbag light being reset as even minor concerns. It's very easy to trip an airbag light on these cars and most of the time it's nothing even remotely concerning.

These cars are 16 years old at this point. It's very unlikely that you're going to find one that needs absolutely nothing done to it. Not saying you're wrong for passing on this car necessarily but it's something you should keep in the back of your mind.
Agree regarding seats/airbag, in the abstract. But taken as a whole with the other issues with the car, the concern is elevated. Too many things going on. Too many indications there's a buried story here. And I don't want to become a character in it's plot.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:12 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 104 Posts

If you plan on keeping it and cherishing it, who cares?

I agree that the paint readings are off, and if that is a deal breaker that is understandable.

Cracked rotors? Not an issue at all. Brake sensors missing, not an issue. Both of those are easy to remedy, and these cars are built for the track, mine had the sensors missing when I bought it, the PPI showed it and I took that into account when making the purchasing decision.

These are not brand new, so I would decide on what your level of acceptance is. Would you rather search for the needle in the haystack, or get something that you know you can make right pretty easily and then enjoy it? This car seems to have too many for you, so I mean more on the next car you find.

Last edited by Colorado964turbo; 06-01-2023 at 03:01 PM.
Robocop305 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 02:47 PM
FrenchieDadRS
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

If the car passes PPI, all service items can be brought up to date. Nobody has ever blown up an engine due to lack of fluid changes, especially modern fluids.
Robocop305 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 02:55 PM
haripin
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrenchieDadRS
If the car passes PPI, all service items can be brought up to date. Nobody has ever blown up an engine due to lack of fluid changes, especially modern fluids.
Too bad this isn't about fluid changes.

Appreciate everyone's help. Until the next one.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:01 PM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with your gut. If you don't feel comfortable, I think you are right to pass and keep looking. If anything, looking at a half dozen more will give you a better understanding on the overall condition of these ~15 year old machines.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:03 PM
haripin
Instructor

Originally Posted by MiataR
Go with your gut. If you don't feel comfortable, I think you are right to pass and keep looking. If anything, looking at a half dozen more will give you a better understanding on the overall condition of these ~15 year old machines.
100%. Thanks for the support.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:09 PM
Belinko
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

as they say. You're buying the previous the owners and with this vehicle with little documentation and not knowing the previous owners, well that kind of sucks, bottom line.
Paint readings are odd, everything else - meh. I got to crack my own rotors, cut my own pad sensors off, replace arms, replace seats, etc. It's a driver, not a collector.

I'm not sure if it is going to get any easier to find "good" cars, i.e. documented history at a minimum. I think buying one off of RL seems to be a decent way to find "good" ones. Have you looked at the black 7.1 list for sale on RL?
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1323351

Robocop305 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 04:01 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Now that you've passed (which I would have too), you should post the VIN #, location & price where it is being sold, and any other background data you've collected. This thread, and RL as a repository is super helpful to everyone looking.

And in respect to this particular car, if its priced right, and the buyer wants to drive the wheels off it,... the car could be a perfect fit. Every one of us has a different "use case" on our ownership, and none of them are wrong.

Thanks hairpin, for taking us along on your journey too. Goes both ways, and the RL crew are an amazing group of owners (most of which who do not even "know" each other as close friends), but CLEARLY their is a kinship is like no other.

Last edited by bweSteve; 06-01-2023 at 04:02 PM. Reason: fixed spelling error
The following 2 users liked this post by bweSteve:
Joe Cho (06-02-2023), Robocop305 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 08:36 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

You can pull the vin off of one of his pictures. I know, eagle eye here, lol. The car's vin is: WP0AC29967S793229

It's for sale at: https://www.themotorvenue.com/invent...orsche-911-GT3

Haripin, pass on that car. I saw those pictures you sent. It's a pass. Prices are coming down and the longer you look the better deal will prevail. In addition, these car's are constantly coming up for sale. I know you don't want black but that black in the classifieds is a nice car and it's been for sale for a quite a while. Maybe you can get him to toss in those wheels or the seats or both. Who knows. I'll answer you pm shortly.

And speaking of Eagle Eye, my buddy just got back from an Alaska fishing trip and brought his camera. One of many pictures he took:

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 06-02-2023 at 12:28 AM.
jonwb (06-02-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 11:39 PM
haripin
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
You can pull the vin off of one of his pictures. I know, eagle eye here, lol. The car's vin is: WP0AC29967S793229

It's for sale at: https://www.themotorvenue.com/invent...orsche-911-GT3

Haripin, pass on that car. I saw those pictures you sent. It's a pass. Prices are coming down and the longer you look the better deal will prevail. In addition, these car's are constantly coming up for sale. I know you don't want black but that Black in the classifieds is a nice car and it's been for sale for a quite a while. Maybe you can get hime to toss in those wheels or the seats or both. Who knows. I'll answer you pm shortly.

And speaking of Eagle Eye, my buddy just got back from an Alaska fishing trip and brought his camera. One of many pictures he took:

Now that's a shot! Hope your buddy has a long lens -- that would be too close for my taste.

Here is what I learned about this car for anyone else this may be helpful for:
  • It is my opinion that the previous owner (i.e., third owner) was pretty frugal. Wouldn't say he neglected the car but type of guy who would use cheap oil in the engine to save $5. I cannot relate, at all;
  • Car had sport seats "put in," according to Porsche dealership who reset the airbag light on it, twice in or around 2012/2013;
  • Service inspection at that time by that dealership showed leak on the "transmission boot";
  • Front rotors are cracked -- obvious overheat/heat wear;
  • Rear upper control arms are shot (both rear upper forward and rear upper rear);
  • Noticeable clutch chatter;
  • Does not idle consistently (e.g., at idle, oil pressure gauge sporadically bounces between 1.25 BAR to 1.6 BAR). The idle almost sounds like it is slightly missing.
  • Noted paint meter readings in this thread (see above)
  • Several wheels have paint peeling off, and Carfax shows "wheel(s) repaired". My best guess is the wheels were repainted and not by Porsche.
  • Strong sulfuric smell, and white smoke at start up.
  • Also, when I arrived at the dealership to look at the car, the engine was warm already -- that was strong signal for me.
Thanks, and hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:50 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

I don't see prices coming down that much on these. Additionally, they don't come up for sale often.

The idle on these 997.1 GT3s are a little jumpy. Mine has a LWFW and is super jumpy. Also, this one may have a LWFW if you noticed a chatter.

Last edited by Robocop305; 06-02-2023 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 -- Good looking car but no service history