Engine drop to do coolant lines. What else "while I'm in there?"

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 09:30 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,867 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Originally Posted by avid
Okay...

Found an indie shop that has certified Porsche mechanics and bought the parts today:
  • Coolant hose set with water pump, thermostat, and coolant expansion tank. Got the elbows from @Wonderdan earlier, thank you!
  • LWFW and 4.0 clutch with RS pulley
  • Guard LSD
  • Rear toe kit and rear links
  • DSC controller
Engine mounts, seals, power steering pump and lines will all be decided when the engine is out. I'll wait to drive the car a bit more before I decide if I want to upgrade to the numeric shifter.

Thanks everyone for the push down the proverbial slope!
Night and Day, that's all I can say.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:18 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by avid
Okay...

Found an indie shop that has certified Porsche mechanics and bought the parts today:
  • Coolant hose set with water pump, thermostat, and coolant expansion tank. Got the elbows from @Wonderdan earlier, thank you!
  • LWFW and 4.0 clutch with RS pulley
  • Guard LSD
  • Rear toe kit and rear links
  • DSC controller
Engine mounts, seals, power steering pump and lines will all be decided when the engine is out. I'll wait to drive the car a bit more before I decide if I want to upgrade to the numeric shifter.

Thanks everyone for the push down the proverbial slope!
Doing belts and spark plugs while you're there?
Old 01-04-2023, 01:06 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Night and Day, that's all I can say.
Man, I sure hope so.

Originally Posted by Burren
Doing belts and spark plugs while you're there?
Yep, full service. It only makes sense.

Last edited by Wilder; 01-04-2023 at 01:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Burren (01-04-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 09:52 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Hi Julien,
You have an excellent list so far. To clarify, do you plan to go with the Dundon (made by ATI) dampener? Also be sure your shop uses the Sharkwerks elbows. When I had the lines/engine drop done on my car I also had plugs, coils, fuel filter, drive belt, front main seal and rear main seal. Many will say that if the seals aren't leaking, don't do them, but I had them done anyway. I also had all fluids flushed at the same time, but that is sort of implied with the work you're having done since you'll be doing your LSD and the coolant will all be coming out of the car during the pinning process. I think power steering fluid will need to be replaced also when the engine is dropped. So really it just leaves engine oil. You may also want to consider doing fresh engine mounts, if it was me I'd probably just go with stock mounts.

Best of luck, glad you're already getting the maintenance done, that's a great way to start off ownership.
hey Joe, you mentioned “fuel filter” in your post but I’ve read in some threads that the 997.2 GT3 doesn’t have one. Meanwhile, it’s also listed in our maintenance schedule! I’m thoroughly confused and I guess need to do more research.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:14 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,035 Likes on 2,092 Posts

Originally Posted by fayraree
hey Joe, you mentioned “fuel filter” in your post but I’ve read in some threads that the 997.2 GT3 doesn’t have one. Meanwhile, it’s also listed in our maintenance schedule! I’m thoroughly confused and I guess need to do more research.
You’re correct! I have a .1 GT3 which has the external serviceable fuel filter, in the engine bay. The .2 GT3 has the fuel filter integrated into the fuel pump and thus, is not serviceable. Here’s the .2 GT3 maintenance schedule and I don’t see the filter as being listed.

Reach out with questions. Happy to help.
Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
fayraree (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 02:47 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
You’re correct! I have a .1 GT3 which has the external serviceable fuel filter, in the engine bay. The .2 GT3 has the fuel filter integrated into the fuel pump and thus, is not serviceable. Here’s the .2 GT3 maintenance schedule and I don’t see the filter as being listed.

Reach out with questions. Happy to help.
thanks buddy!
Old 01-14-2023, 11:33 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 552 Posts

Don't forget all the vacuum lines and anything else plastic or rubber.

Quick Reply: Engine drop to do coolant lines. What else "while I'm in there?"