Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS side script replacement? Install question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 07:21 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Suncoast has it all.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:28 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i removed my original side decal and hip protector came off with it. I assume that hip protector was aftermarket from first owner.

however, i had to recently repaint my hips as they were peppered with stone chips. To the point i feel that they should have something?
Old 12-11-2022, 08:29 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i removed my original side decal and hip protector came off with it. I assume that hip protector was aftermarket from first owner.

however, i had to recently repaint my hips as they were peppered with stone chips. To the point i feel that they should have something?
You definitely can add film. If you place film on top of decal, there will be slight air bubble outline around graphics. May or may not bother you. I’d put film on first, then graphics on top. That is how Porsche has done it from factory on future cars, from my understanding.

Keep in mind that if you put PPF on top of a repaint there is a higher likelihood of pulling paint in the future. However, if you don’t put PPF on, then you will get chipping. With proper curing time of paint and proper removal of PPF (such as steam), there is a lower risk.

Just curious, was your shop able to spot repair the chips and blend into the remainder of the rear quarter panel or did they fully repaint and then blend into the door?
Old 12-11-2022, 10:12 PM
Maverick11
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

I just went through this on my .1RS Wanted to do a good paint cleansing, polish etc. before doing full car ppf. Original decals were a bit dinged up on the rear where the shark fin would normally go so decided to pull all of them off, do my detail work then reapply fresh decals.

Debated whether to go over or under the ppf a lot. My 991.2 had ppf over decal when I bought it and there was always this small air bubble outline around them that kind of bugged me. But then of course if you put them over the ppf they are exposed and if too **** about this stuff like me thats a nuisance too. Ended up putting the decals on and ppf over them. Glad I did because the 997 decals must be thinner than 991 as there is almost zero noticeable outline and decals stay protected. FWIW, my front bumper had old ppf on it initially and the original decals stayed in place when that ppf was removed.

Anyway, if you want the factory look, no shark fin and def. recommend ppf over based on my experience.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:22 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 80 Posts

+1^

Not only are decals protected under PPF, but film should be replaced after a max of 10 years. Sounds like a long time but I’m already at 6 years on the first one I did so it’s something I’m considering.

If decals can be saved when it’s time to replace PPF, you’ll save on the added cost and possible lead time on new graphics.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
You definitely can add film. If you place film on top of decal, there will be slight air bubble outline around graphics. May or may not bother you. I’d put film on first, then graphics on top. That is how Porsche has done it from factory on future cars, from my understanding.

Keep in mind that if you put PPF on top of a repaint there is a higher likelihood of pulling paint in the future. However, if you don’t put PPF on, then you will get chipping. With proper curing time of paint and proper removal of PPF (such as steam), there is a lower risk.

Just curious, was your shop able to spot repair the chips and blend into the remainder of the rear quarter panel or did they fully repaint and then blend into the door?
We repainted the two rear quarter panels as a blend wouldnt have been clean given the amount of stone chips and nics the rear hips had with 40k miles. they needed love and to make it whole we had to do the rear fenders.
We ended up repainting the front bumper too.

Quick Reply: RS side script replacement? Install question?