Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021 | 01:00 PM
galahad
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool New 997.1 GT3 owner with a couple of Qs

Hi all,

New member here from the UK.

I have recently realised a dream and picked up a stunning Carrara white 997.1 GT3 clubsport. It's a nicely specced car with leather dash and full interior carbon, along with PCCBs and the carbon buckets.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/cjk007/, on Flickr

It sits alongside my E46 M3 CSL

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/cjk007/, on Flickr

A previous owner has changed the PCCB disks to Alcon steel disks and Pagid RS29 pads, but there's a light rattle/clicking sound coming from the front when at low speed. It goes away as soon as I put any pressure on the brake pedal, so I am sure it is the pads clicking against the disks. There's anti rattle springs on the pads which seem to provide plenty of tension, but despite removing the pads and cleaning everything up, the click remains. I had a very similar noise on the AP Racing brakes fitted to my CSL, but refitting the anti rattle springs after a clean up sorted that.

Has anyone any ideas?

The interior has the carbon trim pack, but the defroster trims have warped and on one side, the lacquer has come away completely. Looking back through the history file, these were changed under Porsche warranty in 2013, so I am guessing it's a known issue and just a poor design. Is it worth trying to get these removed and refinished, or should I just replace them with plain leather or plastic ones? As it has a leather dash, I think leather may be the best option?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Chris
Old 12-31-2021 | 12:24 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,209 Posts

Welcome Chris! Really like both of your cars.

Can't answer your question on the clicking. I feel like I've heard of that complaint before, but when I went to search I didn't find anything.

Defroster trim that is carbon warping is extremely common. My recommendation would be to replace with leather from someone like Exclusive Option. I believe last year Porsche was partnering with a new carbon fiber supplier to remedy some of the cracking issues of their carbon but I'm not sure if this would apply to the peeling of the trim as well. I'd rather not risk it and you may even be getting an older part that is sitting around in stock. So it's safest to replace with leather.
Old 12-31-2021 | 12:45 PM
PK911
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the same issue with the defroster trim. It appears to be pretty common. I had an upholstery shop wrap them in leather.
Old 12-31-2021 | 02:57 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Congrats! That CSL looks great too!
Old 12-31-2021 | 07:14 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 55 Posts

Welcome to UK 997 ownership. The Alcons are disc and bell with bobbins, I had a set that the bobbin holes had stretched slightly causing the same type of rattle, it wasn’t the anti rattle pads. Give uber9s (https://uber9s.com) a call as they have great info on all things Alcon and GT related.
Old 01-01-2022 | 09:50 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 299 Posts

Great pick up.
Echo the comments on carbon fiber trim… bin it and replace with leather.
Old 01-01-2022 | 10:05 AM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Hello Chris,

Congratulations on your new acquisition, she looks stunning! Can’t help with the Alcons but if you’d like to keep the car as originally specked and not have to worry about paying for carbon vents again DB Carbon has a lifetime warranty and more importantly a fantastic reputation. https://shop.db-carbon-interieur.de/...cts/065G3-0001
Old 01-01-2022 | 06:21 PM
galahad
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Welcome Chris! Really like both of your cars.

Can't answer your question on the clicking. I feel like I've heard of that complaint before, but when I went to search I didn't find anything.

Defroster trim that is carbon warping is extremely common. My recommendation would be to replace with leather from someone like Exclusive Option. I believe last year Porsche was partnering with a new carbon fiber supplier to remedy some of the cracking issues of their carbon but I'm not sure if this would apply to the peeling of the trim as well. I'd rather not risk it and you may even be getting an older part that is sitting around in stock. So it's safest to replace with leather.
Thanks - I think the leather option is looking favourite..

Originally Posted by PK911
I had the same issue with the defroster trim. It appears to be pretty common. I had an upholstery shop wrap them in leather.
Thanks - did you give them the carbon part to wrap?

Originally Posted by ngng
Congrats! That CSL looks great too!
Cheers. It is a great car. Early days with the GT3 yet, but I feel it will be a bigger challenge to master.

Originally Posted by Dervish
Welcome to UK 997 ownership. The Alcons are disc and bell with bobbins, I had a set that the bobbin holes had stretched slightly causing the same type of rattle, it wasn’t the anti rattle pads. Give uber9s (https://uber9s.com) a call as they have great info on all things Alcon and GT related.
Great info - thanks for that. I'll give them a call next week and may also try JZM as I think that's who supplied and fitted these.

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Great pick up.
Echo the comments on carbon fiber trim… bin it and replace with leather.
Leather it is!

Originally Posted by The Mick
Hello Chris,

Congratulations on your new acquisition, she looks stunning! Can’t help with the Alcons but if you’d like to keep the car as originally specked and not have to worry about paying for carbon vents again DB Carbon has a lifetime warranty and more importantly a fantastic reputation. https://shop.db-carbon-interieur.de/...cts/065G3-0001
They do look good, but I think leather might be a cheaper option.
Old 01-01-2022 | 08:41 PM
PK911
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 38 Posts

To answer your question above, nope I did not give them the carbon piece. I went full leather.
Old 01-01-2022 | 08:43 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,209 Posts

I would not recommend giving back your stock part. It’s only $100 extra if you don’t send your core part and since you’re in Europe, it’d likely be about $100 by the time you’re done with shipping and other fees for importing into the US. You could also buy them on eBay and ship directly to him, but again, not worth it since it’s $100.

http://shop.exclusiveoption.com/Leat...97-9X7L24A.htm
Old 02-04-2022 | 11:31 PM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 183 Posts

If the rotors are 2pc, they can have race hardware. This setup allows for the disc to float from the hat to mitigate knockback on the track. The downside is that the rotor flops around under no load. I had this situation with my g-body, very annoying. You can change the hardware.

Grab the rotor and try to move in inward and out. If it has movement, its the hardware.
Old 02-05-2022 | 09:27 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by vma1788
If the rotors are 2pc, they can have race hardware. This setup allows for the disc to float from the hat to mitigate knockback on the track. The downside is that the rotor flops around under no load. I had this situation with my g-body, very annoying. You can change the hardware.

Grab the rotor and try to move in inward and out. If it has movement, its the hardware.
should be able to tighten the hat bolts a bit to firm this up, they are on a spring.
Old 02-05-2022 | 10:00 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 358 Posts

Congrats and welcome !
Old 02-08-2022 | 11:07 AM
radr
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
should be able to tighten the hat bolts a bit to firm this up, they are on a spring.
Please do not do this. The hardware is very sensitive to over-torquing, and that is a one-way journey.

The whole point of "full-float" race hardware is that there is no tension from spring clips or washers. It's usually just regular flat washers which sacrifice streetability (the noises at street temps) in favor of maximizing rotor float at race temperatures. If your rotor assemblies are using race hardware and you confirm this by jiggling the rings around when they're cold, it's a simple matter of replacing the hardware with a street-friendly setup.

Either way, OP needs to figure out where the play in the system is and go from there. And congrats on the car, I have a 997 GT3 next to an E46 M3 as well and they will bury me with these cars.
Old 02-08-2022 | 11:36 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by radr
Please do not do this. The hardware is very sensitive to over-torquing, and that is a one-way journey.

The whole point of "full-float" race hardware is that there is no tension from spring clips or washers. It's usually just regular flat washers which sacrifice streetability (the noises at street temps) in favor of maximizing rotor float at race temperatures. If your rotor assemblies are using race hardware and you confirm this by jiggling the rings around when they're cold, it's a simple matter of replacing the hardware with a street-friendly setup.

Either way, OP needs to figure out where the play in the system is and go from there. And congrats on the car, I have a 997 GT3 next to an E46 M3 as well and they will bury me with these cars.
much better advice than mine, there is def a torque setting on those and they are def designed to float…. but everyone once and a while one is literally like just hangjng/rattling around on there with zero tension. Is it bad to firm it up a bit?

Quick Reply: New 997.1 GT3 owner with a couple of Qs