Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Considering a .2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 08:40 PM
NSXavier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 314 Posts

Lots of great input here. Thanks everyone! I’ve read over all the responses and everyone has been very informative with their real world experiences behind the wheels of both cars.

I’m going to sleep on it more while keeping an eye on the market to see if any cars really sway me over. Hopefully a local one will pop up that I can drive- as driving one would be the true deciding factor. In a perfect world I would keep the Turbo I’ve poured lots of blood sweat and tears (and money) into and just pick up a GT3 as another toy. However, with the current market prices on GT cars, I don’t see that as a possibility.

Thanks again to everyone who has weighed in!
Old 12-27-2021, 09:06 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by NSXavier
Hello GT3 folks! I recently have been contemplating selling my car and finding & purchasing a 997.2 GT3. I have been under the PORSCHE spell for the last 4 years and have owned two 997.1 Turbo's in that time. I don't see myself straying away from the 997 chassis, as it is the perfect fit for me in terms of size and feel. A bit of comments followed by questions I have for all who have experienced both, or are fortunate to currently own both:

-I never track and don't plan to. My Turbo is a weekend toy that I take to events, go on drives with friends in, and I'm primarily doing occasional highway pulls but ultimately ending up on back roads. The Turbo definitely outshines anything on the highway, and can hold its own in the twists, but you can tell it was never designed to be a carver. I'm a big Turbo junky, however, I can appreciate naturally aspirated and nimble vehicles as well. I have had more fun in my E36 M3 on back roads than I have had with the Turbo. With that being said...
*Will I miss the power and torque of the turbo? Or will the GT3's experience outweigh that longing.

-I love to tinker. Both my Turbo's have had engine out services performed by myself, and I really like the aspect of bringing a Turbo up to snuff in terms of maintenance and overall reliability with pinning the coolant pipes and camshafts. With that being said...
*Is the 997.2 GT3 pretty much reliable out of the box to where I won't be needing to pull the engine and all I would be doing is general maintenance and fluid changes? (this is really boring to me- I like to buy cars I can work on extensively).

-I also like to modify. An OEM+ and reversible modification route is always my strategy. With that being said...
*Are there any key modifications I'd be looking at right off the bat to make the car better? Or am I pretty much going to be stuck with the car the way it is with only being able to do full bolt-ons and wheels?

-I also go on lengthy road trips from time to time in the Turbo. The drive is very easy and super comfortable in the car. The thing I love about the Turbo is you can get in it and drive it as easy or as hard as you want to drive it for as long as you need to drive it and get out feeling relaxed and loose. Whereas I have owned sports cars in the past that just beat you to death. I know everyone says the GT3 is an experience, you have to wind it out, it is high strung and not meant to be a daily driver. With that being said...
*How would the GT3 fare on beach trips in the Spring / Summer? Would I hate life? Would my wife want a divorce once we got to where we were going?

I know the general protocol for making a decision like this would be to just go out and drive one. Unfortunately, there are none for sale locally that I would be able to go and take on a test drive. So I am limited to YOUTUBE video reviews and now asking RL members their take on it.
GT2 would probably be the best fit for you.
The following 3 users liked this post by powdrhound:
NSXavier (12-28-2021), sub-zero (12-28-2021), Turbo Racer (02-16-2022)
Old 12-27-2021, 10:36 PM
Porsche cowboy
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

My advice is not to drive the GT3 unless you are prepared to buy it.

I had a 997 C4S and loved that car. I wanted to upgrade and drove a bunch of 997 Turbo cars. They were awesome, but I never felt like it was head and shoulders better than the C4S.

I drove a 997.1 GT3 and within minutes of the drive I was ruined. It was such a special experience, and everything I had been craving. I could not get that car out of my head. Within 6 months I purchased a 997.2 GT3 and never looked back.

Very special cars.
The following 5 users liked this post by Porsche cowboy:
Joe Cho (12-28-2021), Mateo (01-01-2022), NSXavier (12-28-2021), Robocop305 (12-28-2021), samwise (01-01-2022)
Old 12-27-2021, 10:54 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
GT2 would probably be the best fit for you.
can you elaborate? I’ve never driven one. How does it compare to the GT3 and Turbo handling and feel wise? I know it has more power, but I’m more interested in driving dynamics. I prefer cars that feel fast to ones that are fast but feel isolated. This is what I always liked about the 997 GT3s; they are more fun at slower speeds than the Turbos so you can get more enjoyment out of them on the street without being stupid.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:58 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 962 Likes on 586 Posts

.2 GT3 is probably the best water cooled 911, size wise, feel, steering etc. And NO sunroof!

Agree with pinning the coolant lines though I had a shop do it even though I do a lot of stuff on the cars as well. And I have the center muffler delete and love it. Great sound but not too loud. I have a 991.1 turbo S coupe and yeah it's fast, but I've never thought the GT3 is slow!! Even though I have the LWB's in my 981 spyder, I love the "sofa" seats in the GT3 and so does my wife. Only PITA are the centerlocks- they look great but make routine work a pain...

This is probably not the best time to buy one looking at prices these days on BAT, etc, but GET ONE!

(I've driven a friend's .1 GT2 and while it is fast you'd be in jail or dead before you really felt the difference)

Last edited by skl; 12-28-2021 at 01:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NSXavier (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 01:18 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

AutoWerks mentioned it,... and I'll double down on it. Much of the playfulness of the GT3 (aside from all the factors going into its lightweight & super responsive nature, both in power & suspension), is the the fact that it is RWD. I have a Turbo also, but mine is the last of the RWD Turbo's. So when it came time to add another car to the stable, and I drove the 997.2 Turbo, it pulled so completely differently (especially through the turns), that I immediately dismissed it, and moved to looking ONLY at RWD 997's.

So my two cents to the OP,... is assess how much, how often, & WHY you enjoy the back twisty B roads (or whether your vacation-style beach trips with wife are more important/frequent). Strimdog mentioned it above too, about getting the backend loose through turns. The GT3 does this VERY well. VERY controlled, and an absolute BLAST. If that borders on scaring you, verses exciting you,.. then you have part of your answer right there. If your answer is the former,... then I agree with several others above, that a 997 GT2 may be your next natural progression (even though that is a RWD too,... but at least it would give you that next level of performance you are seeking, while retaining turbo torque).

I kept both. So for me, I very much enjoy having two very different performing 911's.

Last edited by bweSteve; 12-28-2021 at 01:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NSXavier (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 07:02 AM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You just need to drive one and see for yourself.

I also had a 997.1 Turbo. Was at SPA Francorchamps and took a ride in a friends 997.1 GT3 RS. That was it!

Turbo went up for sale and I picked up a 997.2 GT3.
The following 2 users liked this post by mm450exc:
NSXavier (12-28-2021), Porsche cowboy (01-04-2022)
Old 12-28-2021, 04:28 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenGT3
can you elaborate? I’ve never driven one. How does it compare to the GT3 and Turbo handling and feel wise? I know it has more power, but I’m more interested in driving dynamics. I prefer cars that feel fast to ones that are fast but feel isolated. This is what I always liked about the 997 GT3s; they are more fun at slower speeds than the Turbos so you can get more enjoyment out of them on the street without being stupid.
In a nutshell, GT2 gives you GT3esque handling with Turbo power. Sound of GT2 is pretty anemic however. GT3 gives you you the right "noise" and handling without ending up in jail. If one is a power *****, the GT2 is something to look at.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:41 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 580 Posts

OP, I saw your thread regarding the cam items you resolved once you purchased the turbo and your thread regarding power steering line work.
Seems like anything you need to fix on a Gt3 is within your wheelhouse.
I've had 997.1 turbo and 996 GT3.
With GT3 I did not miss torque, 8000 rpm redline much mo interesting for me.
RWD > than AWD for me.
GT3 will have increased NVH.
I prefer NA over Turbo. Try a GT3, you can always go back.
ps, ive seen one 997.1 GT3 with > 170K miles = plenty of road trips.

Old 12-28-2021, 06:02 PM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 203 Posts

I do a ton of miles for road trips, and back road driving. 11k miles in 6 months in the GT4, almost 8k now in the GT3 after about the same amount of time.

To me the Turbo has always felt more like the touring car. Noticeably more quiet and reserved. But the woosh of Turbo is fantastic.

That being said, I will take the GT3 anywhere. It's worth the extra racket, and I always find myself looking at the longer or more 'scenic' route to my next destination just to get that feeling.

From my experience, the GT3 is 25% less comfortable than the Turbo, but 30% more fun.

The car still beats me up though. After a few hundred miles youll be thinking about the Turbo...until you hit some good back roads.

I have Recaro Pole positions with P1 inserts ( which I find much more comfortable than the factory buckets)
Also I'm 28 so that is a factor. GF would much rather take the Tesla on anything more than 4 hours at a time.

Hope this helps!

Either way - each car has different personality. Cant go wrong!

Last edited by ljmartyre; 12-28-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:33 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 343 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Strimdog
Boy is this a rabbit hole and one I am all too familiar with. First let me say your TT is beautiful! Love the BBS! I too am a 997 lover and have been faced with this decision on several occasions. Notice what's in my garage. I'll give you my personal experience and thoughts. YMMV................................
Again just my humble opinion though I've been here twice and both times had one and went back to the other until I just bought both. If you can afford both. Get both. Really. If you can't or just don't want 2 then I believe you will enjoy the TT more.

Dear god forum please don't flame me.

Jeff, it just dawned on me that we worked together on the 3" SpeedTech X-Pipe for your car. I believe you are the guy that does the great drives (maybe up to Colorado?) with a small group of friends and invited me down to tag along sometime :-)

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 12-28-2021, 11:00 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
Jeff, it just dawned on me that we worked together on the 3" SpeedTech X-Pipe for your car. I believe you are the guy that does the great drives (maybe up to Colorado?) with a small group of friends and invited me down to tag along sometime :-)
Yes sir! That was me. Need another system for my 996 GT3. PM Sent.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:29 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 593 Posts

Curious does anyone here have a DCS controller in their GT3? Nobody mentions it.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:16 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I do. The ride is more compliant and less jarring in both standard and sport modes. A proper upgrade IMO.

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Curious does anyone here have a DCS controller in their GT3? Nobody mentions it.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:03 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by MJFDDS
I do. The ride is more compliant and less jarring in both standard and sport modes. A proper upgrade IMO.

I'm with you. The suspension is not too far removed from a GTS w/ sports pasm. So it's pretty damn comfortable. In L.A. freeway traffic? Any manual would be wearing. The DCS is a great upgrade.

Quick Reply: Considering a .2 GT3