Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Considering a .2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 05:39 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 258 Posts

Does Sport Mode even do anything in the 997s? I've used it a few times and notice zero difference in ride or noise.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (12-31-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 05:45 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Burren
Does Sport Mode even do anything in the 997s? I've used it a few times and notice zero difference in ride or noise.
It changes throttle response, opens the exhaust, and stiffens the suspension on a .2
Old 12-30-2021, 05:50 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
It changes throttle response, opens the exhaust, and stiffens the suspension on a .2
On the 7.2GT3 the sport bottom only opens the exhaust valves, nothing else.
The following 2 users liked this post by powdrhound:
rrichmondd (01-03-2022), SupraSaiyan (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 07:25 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
And same for the 7.2 RS.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:41 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Exactly right. Sport changes exhaust valve opening timing and ignition (not throttle position) mapping to correspond to the reduced back pressure when the valves are open.
The separate PASM button changes the suspension, and the TC—PSM button change the traction and stability control. They all work independently of each other.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:28 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenGT3
Exactly right. Sport changes exhaust valve opening timing and ignition (not throttle position) mapping to correspond to the reduced back pressure when the valves are open.
The separate PASM button changes the suspension, and the TC—PSM button change the traction and stability control. They all work independently of each other.
The "TC Off" button you refer to, is only in the .1 cars.

The gen 2 cars have two buttons: "SC Off" and a "SC + TC Off" ... (and also of course the "Sport" button, and the Strut stiffness button)

Refer to this recent thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...teristics.html

Last edited by bweSteve; 12-30-2021 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:23 AM
samwise
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I own a .2 GT3, my buddy have a .2 Turbo S PDK Cab and we swapped cars on the twistiness about 6 months ago. My GT3 is basically stock except for a Sharkwerk Center Bypass. His Turbo S is tuned to about 600hp I think...

I'll just start off by saying they are COMPLETELY different cars. Turbo is a hammer, the GT3 is a very sharp scalpel. the Turbo is a better road car, the GT3 is just... sharper. The steering, throttle response, the noise (NOISE)... Everything about the GT3 screams driver involvement and begs you to drive it hard.

My impression of his Turbo S? It kicks like a mule, the turbo rush is awesome and feels almost a little old school with the way it spools, the suspension was A LOT softer even in Sport PASM (whereas you never want to put PASM in sport in the GT3, ever). Steering felt... relaxed, definitely more at home as a cruiser, but it is still proper fun in the twisties.

After our drive, my buddy had a huge grin on his face and said it was the most fun he'd had in a car ever. But when I asked him if he wants to sell his Turbo S and get a GT3... he hesitated. The turbo is just an easier car to live with, WAY more comfortable - he actually drives it to work, it's a cab so he can do top down driving and enjoy the California sun. AND it's a PDK so his wife can drive home from dinner party if he drank a little too much.

To your questions...

*Will I miss the power and torque of the turbo? Or will the GT3's experience outweigh that longing.
Pretty subjective but for me I don't miss it, the power builds up linearly in a GT3 and it's all the way up top. But if you're in the powerband it's already stupid quick IMO. I never once feel I need more power, especially when driving on public roads. For me the 8500rpm redline and how the engine screams up top more than make up for the lack of torque down low. But I love high revving N/A cars.

*Is the 997.2 GT3 pretty much reliable out of the box to where I won't be needing to pull the engine and all I would be doing is general maintenance and fluid changes? (this is really boring to me- I like to buy cars I can work on extensively).
It's the same basic Mezger engine like your .1 So a lot of the maintenance will be similar... Less complicated due to lack of AWD, Turbo, etc. Then again, because it's N/A, there isn't really any "cheap" power solution if that's what you're looking for.
*Are there any key modifications I'd be looking at right off the bat to make the car better? Or am I pretty much going to be stuck with the car the way it is with only being able to do full bolt-ons and wheels?
Like I said above, there isn't any cheap power option, most mods have to do with suspension, sound, etc. Pretty much everyone get the center bypass and there's probably a decent chance the car you found has it installed already. Header and side muffler delete can make it even louder but you're getting into obnoxious territory on the street if you do those. It's loud enough as it is with the big wing, I don't need more attention from the cops and all the kids in their WRX...

Other popular upgrades are Guard LSD (stock ones are pretty weak if you track them), and RS flywheel for even more rev happy motoring experience. Although both will result in more noise and clatter in a car that's already pretty clattery.

*How would the GT3 fare on beach trips in the Spring / Summer? Would I hate life? Would my wife want a divorce once we got to where we were going?
How long is the beach trip? I would never want to take my GT3 on a trip longer than 2 hours (unless it's a dedicated mountain carving drive...). But then again, my car has the GT2 sports bucket which adds to the harshness. I think if you get one with the standard 4 way or 18 way sofas your wife will perhaps tolerate it. A DSC controller is supposed to really help make the ride better too, but I've never driven one with it so I can't tell you. My wife has been in my car twice since I bought mine 8 months ago. After the 2nd time she basically told me it's my car and she doesn't want to be in the car ever anymore. Then again, I'm still married, so no harm no foul.

In a perfect world, I'd say you should keep the Turbo and get a GT3. But if you're looking for GT3 experience but with a bit more civility than the 7.2, a 991.2 might be a good way to go if it's in your budget. Screaming engine, even more capable suspension, but far more livable on the street. As for me, having had seat time in both, I'll take my GT3 every time. I had an E46M3 before the GT3 and I wanted "more" of that format, the 997 GT3 is basically the next natural (several) step up on that formula. I have family and little kids so 90% of my driving is in boring cars. The GT3 is the perfect cure to daily minivan runs.

With that said, there are many days I wish I also have something just a tat softer and easier to live with on the side for more relaxed fun... maybe a 718 Spyder...

P.S I also test drove a .1 Turbo a long time ago. I actually like the .1 Turbo more than the .2, the Mezger turbo is more... raw and visceral. The newer DFI engine is pretty sweet but something about the .1 Turbo just gives me more of that old school "solid" Porsche feeling.

Last edited by samwise; 01-02-2022 at 07:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by samwise:
bweSteve (01-01-2022), Robocop305 (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 02:27 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

Perfectly said. Good job on the comparison.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:21 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

If this metric is any help. Wife will not ride in my 997.2RS. Did once and that was it. Too raw, noisy and “rough”.

She absolutely LOVES the 987.2 Spyder with sofa seats.
The following users liked this post:
greymanR (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 02:22 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
If this metric is any help. Wife will not ride in my 997.2RS. Did once and that was it. Too raw, noisy and “rough”.

She absolutely LOVES the 987.2 Spyder with sofa seats.
That’s a good thing to some. “Honey just go out for a ride with your friends. I will stay home”.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:30 AM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 66 Posts

Comparison of my very not stock 997.2 GT3 with a 997 GT2 on the Angeles Crest Highway:

It was a super fun day. I drove the GT2 and got a great feel for the experience differences.
The following 4 users liked this post by point2point:
Burren (01-02-2022), delta3 (01-03-2022), hd.ohio (01-02-2022), samwise (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 12:04 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Originally Posted by point2point
Comparison of my very not stock 997.2 GT3 with a 997 GT2 on the Angeles Crest Highway:
https://youtu.be/hxs0uU3qeIg

It was a super fun day. I drove the GT2 and got a great feel for the experience differences.
Did not realize that was your car! Watched it this morning and thoroughly enjoyed. Great car!
Old 01-02-2022, 12:22 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 612 Posts

Man I want to do this... but Sharkwerks quoted $75k
Old 01-03-2022, 10:06 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Was wondering who's car that was. Can you share any more on the suspension setup? Who did the work?
Old 01-04-2022, 03:34 AM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tq.3z
Can you share any more on the suspension setup? Who did the work?
Tony Thompson at True Performance in Lake Forest, CA installed the JRZ 12.32 and did the corner weighting and alignment.

Quick Reply: Considering a .2 GT3