Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would you re-paint to delete a front license plate mount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021 | 12:12 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Received 1,098 Likes on 596 Posts
Default Would you re-paint to delete a front license plate mount?

I've been looking for a .2 RS for some time, and when that happens (which may be never for what I seek) I will be out of garage space and may put the GT Silver .2 GT3 on BAT. The car is about 100% mint and as close to showrooms as you can get, but for whatever reason it has a front license plate. I'm going to take it in for an annual, and I'm thinking of having it repainted and tires while I'm at it. It has four holes for the plate and PPF. Plugs just don't seem to be the way to go here.

I don't know if I'm better off leaving it with original paint or not. Seems very few states actually hold your feet to the fire on front plates.

I'm also torn on replacing the tires. It still has original rubber from 2010 and of course they need replacing for age. Seems most people would be happy with Pilot Sport 4S. Or leave it to the next owner?

It's funny the car has a Sharkwerks center delete which should not increase performance but in this case it seems to. It seems to pull so strong. Maybe it's the additional noise messing with my head.

Old 10-13-2021 | 12:28 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

Next owner on the front license plate. Leave the original paint. They might be in a state that requires and enforces the front plate. Tires are subjective. Michelin, Pirelli??? If someone is serious, you can always cut the price or have their brand tires installed at their request.
Old 10-13-2021 | 01:13 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 419 Posts

When you remove the plate frame, are there any marks or indents from the edge of the frame in the bumper? If not, I would remove the frame and use bumper plugs. That will achieve two things; make the front look better by eliminating the ugly plate bracket, and also preserve originality. I would not repaint the bumper. Some buyers would see that as worse than having the plate holes.
Regarding the tires, I would take pictures and video of the current tires on the car showing date codes and tread, then I would mount new ones. This is what I did with my car when I bought it. It served to memorialize the condition of the original 10 year old tires being pulled, which speaks to how the car was driven, while also giving you or the new owner the benefit and peace of mind of having new tires.
Old 10-13-2021 | 01:28 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 659 Posts

agree with 8lug. remove the mount, clean the bumper as well as you can, and install bumper plugs. original paint is far more important (certainly to me) than having bumper plugs in the bumper. i know it's just a bumper, but why paint if not needed. if the bumper looks bad underneath, that might need separate consideration.
The following users liked this post:
996AE (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021 | 01:35 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,534 Likes on 1,364 Posts

I would just leave it and let the next owner decide what they want to do. Some states require a front plate and the owner may want to put one on. I live in Massachusetts primarily, which does require a front plate for the annual vehicle inspections. Because of that, a lot more people around New England run a front plate on their Porsche’s than in California. I don’t run one as I wouldn’t dare drill into the front bumper and the tow hook front plate holder I use for just the annual vehicle inspections is IMO an eyesore.

Last edited by RapidGT; 10-13-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2021 | 02:21 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,209 Posts

Let next owner decide. But bumper plugs if you want it to look better in the meantime. I’d actually just leave the plate frame on.
Old 10-13-2021 | 03:47 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,534 Likes on 1,364 Posts

@Upscale Audio what sort of .2 RS are you looking for ideally. Color, options, mileage, condition, etc?
Old 10-13-2021 | 04:11 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

I agree with the "let the next owner" decide sentiments, but, if I were the next owner, I would prefer to have the holes filled and bumper repainted.
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021 | 04:41 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Received 1,098 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
@Upscale Audio what sort of .2 RS are you looking for ideally. Color, options, mileage, condition, etc?

Ideally white with gold. I think that's what Waxer has. PCCB, leather. In really nice condition. Low miles.

Remember that one that the guy wanted $200k for and it sat for months and monthsand months? Or was it $220k? Whatever.
Old 10-13-2021 | 05:14 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,075 Likes on 391 Posts

One of the shops I work with mentioned they had a touch up guy that smooths and fills the holes then just sprays over the dime size sections. No idea how that would come out but seems relatively non invasive. Anyone ever use someone to do chip touch ups or something like this? I hate the plate on my front bumper but not enough yet to go that far. There are 4 holes in mine and too much for plugs.
Old 10-13-2021 | 06:03 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
One of the shops I work with mentioned they had a touch up guy that smooths and fills the holes then just sprays over the dime size sections. No idea how that would come out but seems relatively non invasive. Anyone ever use someone to do chip touch ups or something like this? I hate the plate on my front bumper but not enough yet to go that far. There are 4 holes in mine and too much for plugs.
I would look into this as option #1
That being said, when the market wasn't batsh*t crazy and we actually had options, I would immediately rule out a car that had a front plate mounted. I didn't want to deal with filling in holes and repainting.
As for plugs, they look terrible. Did it once, never again.
Old 10-13-2021 | 06:49 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 89 Posts

I would leave it as is. Next owner may want to run a front plate and I'd leave tire choice up to them.
Old 10-13-2021 | 07:36 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,209 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Friend had some work done on his Ferrari prior to pickup with airbrush. It came out surprisingly well and I am very picky when it comes to paint. In the right light you can notice something, but on a front bumper, this could be an option. Only downside would be it may not adhere quite as well, so if you put PPF on top, you may end up pulling paint down the line. Just a guess.
Old 10-13-2021 | 08:07 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Ideally white with gold. I think that's what Waxer has. PCCB, leather. In really nice condition. Low miles.

Remember that one that the guy wanted $200k for and it sat for months and monthsand months? Or was it $220k? Whatever.
I paid $200k in January 2021. With the bizarre world we now live in I would think mine would currently bring 15% more but who knows?

PS Actually just looked at some ads. If asks are a barometer my estimate for my car seems way low.

Last edited by Waxer; 10-13-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2021 | 08:35 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

If the paint behind the plate holder mount is fine, I’d use bumper plugs. If not, leave it as is. I would not repaint the bumper in any way. Let the new owner decide what to do there

Quick Reply: Would you re-paint to delete a front license plate mount?