Control Unit Programming with PIWIS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 12:21 PM
cdixon
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Control Unit Programming with PIWIS

Anyone haves a copy of this document?

Workshop Manual '9X00IN Basic instructions and procedure for control unit programming using the PIWIS Tester
Old 09-07-2021, 01:49 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 316 Posts

What specifically are you trying to program, a new DME?
Old 09-07-2021, 06:02 PM
cdixon
Instructor

Long and short of it is that my local OPC made a complete mess up of recoding my FAL in and I am trying to understand the complete process.

You’ll know from the FAL thread that i have fixed and can make my FAL work with my home brew tester. Before I attempted to fix it myself I had the OPC code it out to remove the dash error (Big mistake on my part). They did that on the second attempt and after having the car for the week…. Now they cannot code it back in and are trying to tell me that the fault still is in the FAL, despite the fact that I can operate it when it is still installed in the car and operated from my homemade tester…

Problem is now I’m in a Mexican stand off with them… They are saying it’s coded in and the FAL is faulty… I am saying the FAL works fine and you have messed up the recoding…

Last edited by cdixon; 09-07-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:19 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Do you have a PIWIS system at home? I browsed through the help menu and there is an automatic coding procedure, but I'd have to check details tomorrow, it's way late right now and I gotta crash-
The service manual has some info on programming the DME
I can find out which section deals with the FAL
The following users liked this post:
tagilb (01-16-2024)
Old 09-08-2021, 05:15 AM
cdixon
Instructor

Hi John,

Thanks for the response. I haven’t yet pulled the trigger on a PIWIS, but thinking I will soon.

I think that the FAL sits within the REAR Control Unit, as in the Parts DB a different one is required for vehicles with the FAL option.

Just interested to see what info you get on the FAL in the PIWIS and how easy it is to program one back in?
Old 09-08-2021, 05:39 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

I surfed around looking through PIWIS but the problem is in regular mode, I can't find the FAL and how to program it.
I then switched PIWIS to development mode(E)which is very difficult because then everything is in German. When you do get a PIWIS, make sure the version you get has development mode(E), not all do. Then, translating gets difficult even with a translation app like I tried.
So it's not a Mexican standoff you have, it's a German standoff
When they disabled your lift, most likely there was a german speaking tech or they called to get instructions on which control unit it was under, and now that person isn't there. That's my take on it.

I opened PIWIS in simulation mode, entered 997 manually, and couldn't find the control unit that has the FAL-as mentioned, once I entered programming mode(E) it's too much German language to understand.
There are thunderstorms and lightning here right now so I can't go to the garage and connect to the car with VCI, to further search since PIWIS automatically detects the GT3. Selecting 997 manually doesn't necessarily give you a GT3 submenu, so that further complicates things unless I connect to the car, which might lead me to the FAL, but again, I probably need to switch to development mode(E), and then it's back to German menu.

If you go ahead and get a PIWIS system, currently the best choice seems to be a vendor named Belauto on garageforum.org Get a version that has development mode(E)

There's a PIWIS thread on rennlist with software versions, and some members speak german. which would help-
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...is-iii-43.html

JB
Old 09-08-2021, 06:03 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Also, I was looking at the Cargraphic lift out of curiosity-they also have a pump:

https://www.cargraphic.de/en/your-ve...sche-9971-gt3/

JB
Old 09-08-2021, 06:09 PM
cdixon
Instructor

Thanks JB,

I suspected it would probably be in the bowels of Development mode somewhere... I am currently in conversation with Belauto, and he's offered what I think is a reasonable price on a complete system (Laptop, PIWIS3 V39 with Dev mode, and the head end dongle)

I do speak pigeon German, so I'm quite keen to take a look... Get nervous about playing around in the cars brains though....
Old 09-08-2021, 09:10 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Yeah it can get dangerous messing with coding and programming. I'll try to connect to the car tomorrow and see what I can find. I would probably have seen the FAL option to test/activate in regular mode menus, would have to see what happens in development mode, but then again, German menu, not easy to navigate-
Old 09-09-2021, 03:19 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

OP sorry for your pains. I have PIWIS 3 and have not had to go to dev mode to do coding. For me, everything starts with the Gateway module recognizing what's in the car. Once that's loaded properly, you can go into the Coding section to enable/disable the units with just a check mark.

This has worked for me on 2 997s and 3 991s of mine. FWIW I can check it again this weekend, specific to the FAL unit.

Are all the accessories in your car showing up properly in PIWIS? E.g. PCM, PASM, Navi, PDCC etc. etc. That is where I might start, as in whether your Gateway module is properly interfacing with your PIWIS.

Last edited by CRex; 09-09-2021 at 03:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cdixon (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 08:49 AM
cdixon
Instructor

Thanks guys.

@JB911 I hope you do not mind but i backtracked through the big PIWIS3 thread where you did a dump of systems in your car.

As you can see from the part number on your Rear Control Unit, you have the version that has option I474 (FAL). That is what leads me to believe that programming is sat in the bowels of that unit. Also I read somewhere that in simulator mode the PIWIS uses a 991 Carrera, so i doubt this option even exists.. I’m in conversation with Belauto, and will hopefully order mine today.

@CRex You raise an interesting point. When my OPC first tried to code out my FAL to stop the error on the dash, they nuked every system in the car (TPWS, Phone, NAV, and Radio, support on the central display) After handing it back to them less than pleased they had the car for a week and had to call on Porsche Tech support to help them code it out correctly. I then fixed the FAL myself and paid them to again code it back in…. They haven’t correctly and this is the Mexican stand off!
Old 09-09-2021, 12:53 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Yeah, in simulation mode it picked a 2012 Carrera, but surfing through the control units in some sections I was able to change to GT3. But even then, since it was not connected to the car, there was no info. I'll try to connect this afternoon, but it's thunderstorms as usual so I might not get to,

Also, as you await for your PIWIS, plan on getting a power source, minimum 40A to connect to the battery. Regular chargers are not enough. I got the Power Maxx 55 amp version. People with Cayennes and 992s got the 75 amp ones since they light up like Christmas trees with all the newer accessories.

Hi CRex, looking for the info in development mode was a guess, since the FAL is a special order accessory. It's already difficult enough and dangerous to code and program in V mode, with not enough info, much harder trying to translate German. I tried to follow the 997 coding thread the Durametric group had compiled, and it was a no go. Complicated by the fact that the .1 cars and .2 cars were different in some coding procedures. I took pictures with my cell phone to make sure I could back track, comfort windows coding had so many options it was impossible to make sense of even in english. And then it seems that one of the things I was trying to achieve, code the passenger window to automatic going up is not possible with Durametric or PIWIS-

Otherwise I've used PIWIS to do a VAL and Vehicle Handover to make sure everything is fine-

Best,
JB
Old 09-09-2021, 03:44 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Did a scan just now, and then a VAL and a vehicle Handover to document current state.

The REAR, and things that can be accessed. I suppose once the FAL is removed it can be erased or coded out-
so I guess you’d reinstall your repaired unit and code it back in(?)

Old 09-09-2021, 04:13 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

I did not operate the Lift, it's way too hot and humid here this time of year-

JB
Old 09-09-2021, 05:21 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

This is also a good overview of PIWIS:
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...is-ii-iii.html