Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rusting Rotors After Wash

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 01:50 PM
zbbb0730
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Rusting Rotors After Wash

Hey guys. One of the best things I did for my RS was to get softer pads. Not only do I not anymore of the annoying squeak, but the brake dust is barely noticeable now. I don't track it, so no need for the aggressive brakes. BUT, every time I wash this beauty, the rotors rust almost immediately. Today, I had the "bright" idea to take if for a drive right after washing...take it up to 100 for short period and clean them off while drying them out. The result was rusty water all over the freshly washed rims and rear of the car. I don't recall having this issue with the other ones I had. They look stock. Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2021, 02:24 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,035 Likes on 2,092 Posts

Just curious, which pads are you running? Eventually I'd like to switch to a softer compound, potentially, to avoid the added brake dust.

As far as rusty rotors, you have a couple of options, but unfortunately you're always going to be dealing with some of the situation you describe. You can use a product such as Hydes Serum Rust Stopper. This maybe helps 30-60%. But it definitely doesn't completely solve the rusting issue. I also don't like having another product that I have to buy, use, possibly have hazardous to my health, another product to possibly damage something in the braking system, etc.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...rust-inhibitor

My preferred method is wash wheels, wash car, give one more rinse to everything including rotors. I typically will then blow dry the wheels to get the heavy water off. Drive down street, apply brakes (carefully as you don't have much bite with the water on the rotors), then when you come back you're going to have the rust inside the barrels. I then do a final wipe, with gloves on, to the inside of the barrels to try and remove the rust. This takes a bit of time, but is the best I have found, unfortunately. I then will finish wiping down the body. You may get a bit of dust on it from your short drive, but with a drying aid such as Griots Best of Show detail spray, that should help prevent/minimize any scratching. Obviously ceramics would prevent this too, but that's a $10-20k solution compared to this which is 5-10 mins of extra time each time I wash, which is 2x a month during summer.
The following users liked this post:
gman3280 (08-23-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 02:42 PM
zbbb0730
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Just curious, which pads are you running? Eventually I'd like to switch to a softer compound, potentially, to avoid the added brake dust.

As far as rusty rotors, you have a couple of options, but unfortunately you're always going to be dealing with some of the situation you describe. You can use a product such as Hydes Serum Rust Stopper. This maybe helps 30-60%. But it definitely doesn't completely solve the rusting issue. I also don't like having another product that I have to buy, use, possibly have hazardous to my health, another product to possibly damage something in the braking system, etc.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...rust-inhibitor

My preferred method is wash wheels, wash car, give one more rinse to everything including rotors. I typically will then blow dry the wheels to get the heavy water off. Drive down street, apply brakes (carefully as you don't have much bite with the water on the rotors), then when you come back you're going to have the rust inside the barrels. I then do a final wipe, with gloves on, to the inside of the barrels to try and remove the rust. This takes a bit of time, but is the best I have found, unfortunately. I then will finish wiping down the body. You may get a bit of dust on it from your short drive, but with a drying aid such as Griots Best of Show detail spray, that should help prevent/minimize any scratching. Obviously ceramics would prevent this too, but that's a $10-20k solution compared to this which is 5-10 mins of extra time each time I wash, which is 2x a month during summer.
Awesome thank you! I appreciate the tips. For the pads, nothing fancy. Set of Hawks. Parts numbers are:
HB651F624 and HB483B635. They've been great. I can feel the difference in bite. Not a big deal for me though on the street.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:51 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zbbb0730
Awesome thank you! I appreciate the tips. For the pads, nothing fancy. Set of Hawks. Parts numbers are:
HB651F624 and HB483B635. They've been great. I can feel the difference in bite. Not a big deal for me though on the street.
Thanks for the info on pads! Hopefully others chime in with suggestions, but what I posted above is the best I have found.
Old 08-21-2021, 04:01 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 184 Posts

next time let the wheel/brakes dry before taking it out. no need to get it to 100. the rotors will clean up after your first stop
Old 08-21-2021, 07:13 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 315 Posts

After I wash the car, i use my craftsman 250 mph electric leaf blower and dry everything, including wheels. By the time I'm done they're dry and I drive the car. Otherwise if it's parked for long they stick, and the car certainly won't even roll
I also use the leaf blower on the engine area, and belt to dry everything
Old 08-21-2021, 09:08 PM
zbbb0730
Rennlist Member

Some good ideas. I like the leaf blower. They do get an enormous amount of rust. When I let the dry by themselves, it puts orange dust all over the wheels on the first drive.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:08 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

How old are the rotors ?
Old 08-21-2021, 09:10 PM
zbbb0730
Rennlist Member

BTW, any advice on dash treatments and rubber molding areas? I've heard some things will actually make it crack and dry. Never used to worry about stuff like that. But, it is a 14-year old car.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 09:12 PM
zbbb0730
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LionelB
How old are the rotors ?
I'm not sure. There in great shape, but the car has been babied. Just under 10k miles and it was a CPO car a year and half ago when I bought it.Only CPO 997.1 I could find in the country.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:27 PM
Ranger520
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 22 Posts

Definitely use a battery powered blower to dry your car. I use a Milwaukee m18. Great piece of equipment for drying, blowing off dust and blowing out the garage. Even blow the dust out of the interior!
Old 08-21-2021, 09:31 PM
zbbb0730
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ranger520
Definitely use a battery powered blower to dry your car. I use a Milwaukee m18. Great piece of equipment for drying, blowing off dust and blowing out the garage. Even blow the dust out of the interior!
Yes! That would be better than drying with microfiber. It has ceramic so should blow right off along with helping with the rotors.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:34 PM
Ranger520
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes! That would be better than drying with microfiber. It has ceramic so should blow right off along with helping with the rotors.
After I had my 993 ceramic coated my guy said do not dry with microfiber. I bought the blower and was amazed! Open all doors and water just falls away with blower assist.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:35 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

BTW, any advice on dash treatments and rubber molding areas? I've heard some things will actually make it crack and dry. Never used to worry about stuff like that. But, it is a 14-year old car.
I like Nextzett Cockpit premium for dash both plastic dash and leather dash. I’ll use a bit of conditioner on it (mine has leather dash) every year as well (Swissvax is what I use but leather masters or any quality conditioner is good too). Without a lot of sun exposure you shouldn’t have much issue. Some will use windshield tint, but I prefer cars without tint, or if I’m doing tint, something extremely light (70-90%) just to block UV.

Warning, when they transitioned from 1Z Einszett to Nextzett they changed the formula of their products including cockpit premium. Some say the new formula smells like urinal cakes. While I agree there is a similarity in scent, it goes away quickly and I have yet to find a better product after 8+ years.

For seals on doors, Nextzett Gumifledge is great.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:37 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ranger520
After I had my 993 ceramic coated my guy said do not dry with microfiber. I bought the blower and was amazed! Open all doors and water just falls away with blower assist.
Many guys also like Master Blaster or Big Boi. I have some concern with plugging those into the wall while everything is wet even on a GFI circuit. I also have concerns with dragging it around the car even with the wheels since the master blaster is made of metal. Don’t want it to scratch/dent car.

I prefer the handheld blower like you have. Eventually I will step up from my Ryobi one to an Ego like the 650cfm

Quick Reply: Rusting Rotors After Wash