Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rusting Rotors After Wash

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 08:54 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

Last edited by bweSteve; 09-24-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:06 PM
LiveWire1968
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

This is a older thread, but ive owned my cayman for about 2 months, and how quickly the rotors rust amazes me. I have quite a few other vehicles. Just looked at one beside my porsche that hasnt moved for almost 2 weeks (vehicles are parked inside)
. Rotors basically have zero rust on them. I washed/detailed the cayman this morning including using a air dryer. Drove it into town, probably a 20mile round trip. Then 4-5hrs later the rotors are solid rust. It does cause a mess on the wheels.
Kinda strange, I do have a new set of rotors/pads to go on, just havent got to it yet.

Last edited by LiveWire1968; 01-21-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 09:32 PM
balucipher
Pro

Received 643 Likes on 331 Posts

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...t&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Spray some ruststopper on it before you wash and no rust
Old 01-22-2023, 08:32 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Break out that Master Blaster. Leaf blowers don't filter the air so something could be sucked up in the blower and throw at the car. Also the Master blaster is heated air. Filter and heated air in a powerful blast that can't be matched by a leaf blower. It's heaven.
Ed - do you have any concerns with dragging the Master Blaster around your car? I had the 4HP one years ago and am considering grabbing the 8HP one on wheels and the long hose to accompany my Ego blower. My concern is that the metal case on the Master Blaster may hit the car and cause damage. So for that reason I was considering grabbing the Big Boi blower from Esoteric which has a plastic case. But I'd rather buy the known, higher end product that is made in America (Master Blaster). I know you can wall mount the Master Blaster, but I'd rather not do that.

Joe
The following users liked this post:
Esoteric_Detail (01-23-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 10:56 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,717 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Ed - do you have any concerns with dragging the Master Blaster around your car? I had the 4HP one years ago and am considering grabbing the 8HP one on wheels and the long hose to accompany my Ego blower. My concern is that the metal case on the Master Blaster may hit the car and cause damage. So for that reason I was considering grabbing the Big Boi blower from Esoteric which has a plastic case. But I'd rather buy the known, higher end product that is made in America (Master Blaster). I know you can wall mount the Master Blaster, but I'd rather not do that.

Joe
The hose is long. Long enough so hitting the car with the metal blower body is not a concern. There is also a 30 foot hose option but that seems like a hassle unless you plan on mounting the unit on your garage wall. Make sure your outlet can handle 19 amps and make sure you get ear protection, this thing moves air as you probably already know, and can get loud. I use it for blowing out the garage and driveway.
The following users liked this post:
Esoteric_Detail (01-23-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 11:32 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,024 Likes on 486 Posts

I use the Ego blower with stubby plastic nozzle to dry, followed by drying towels (and sometimes bead maker before). Works perfectly, and the Ego battery pack doubles for my Ego detailing lights, which are awesome (pic below).

As for the rust, that’s just going to happen. I usually go back over the wheels with a plush microfiber wheel woolie after the first post-wash drive. If you ceramic coat your wheels, rust, pad dust, etc., wipe right off. Ditto for track rubber.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:57 PM
Tom Sch
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After a heavy rain in summer...

Quick Reply: Rusting Rotors After Wash