Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Fuel injector cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 09:15 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Fuel injector cleaning

Does anyone have experience with ultra sonic fuel injector cleaning, e.g., through rcfuelinjection.com?

I’ve done that with my previous higher mileage cars and their report showed several injectors with drips and suboptimal flow. Curious if anyone has done that with their 997.2 GT3.

I’ve read a lot of people using fuel additives, but I’m planning to do a baseline major preventative service in my year one of ownership (43k miles with a lot of track miles).

Appreciate your advice/experience!
Old 01-13-2023, 12:04 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

waste of money if you're not having issues. Don't fix it if it ain't broken. 43k miles isn't a lot for a set of injectors.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:17 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

I would agree with lawrence1, but hey it's your money , with that said, I have used https://www.injector.com/cart/pc/home.asp a umber of times and found their work to be good.

Ray
The following users liked this post:
fayraree (01-22-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 05:10 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts

I agree with above, unnecessary unless you're having issues.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:00 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 265 Posts

There have been plenty of threads about injector cleaning and the consensus seems to be that if you are using fresh high quality premium fuel, you would be wasting your money on additional fuel injector treatments.

But.....just to play devil's advocate with this, I have heard that often when a bore-scored engine has been rebuilt, the builder will find the injector on that cylinder to have gone bad, usually producing a poor spay pattern which washes out the oil. Statistically, the OEM injectors are quite good and this is a rare occurrence, but the point to be made is you might not necessarily know you are having issues until its too late.

Ive been told that the ECU can adjust the injectors to a certain extent and this "fuel trim" adjustment can be read with a PIWIS or Durameteric. When I get some free time I'd like to research this a bit more and see if its a viable way to check injector health. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Old 01-22-2023, 01:54 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Appreciate the responses! I did a number of searches but didn’t find a thread that answered my question (maybe my search terms weren’t great). I also read up on Jake Raby’s posts re: fuel injectors when doing a rebuild. I actually reached out to him and he said it’s useless to clean, if you’re thinking about improving anything you have to replace with new.

Since I’m not aware of any issues (yet) I’ll just light a few c notes on fire and do the cleaning and save the replacement for when I do a SW4.1 engine rebuild or something, in a few years. Gives me peace of mind having done it before.

@rbahr thanks for the suggestion for the nearby cleaning service in CT; perfect for me in NJ and will
minimize down time while the car sits in the shop (vs the CA shop I had experience with).

I’ll call them to figure out which service I need, wasn’t clear based on all the options:

https://www.injector.com/cart/pc/Injector-Service-c30.htm

Last edited by fayraree; 01-22-2023 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:15 AM
Specracer46
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 on Marren injector service. Ive used them many times.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:31 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts

Hi Fayraree, I am not certain on this, but with a 4.1l upgrade, you may likely replace the injectors.

Ray
Old 01-29-2023, 01:13 PM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbahr
Hi Fayraree, I am not certain on this, but with a 4.1l upgrade, you may likely replace the injectors.

Ray
understood, thanks bud! I’m likely not going to be doing that for a number of years so for now, was looking for a clean baseline.

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaning