997 GT2 vs... McLaren?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021 | 03:30 PM
Kluven
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT2 vs... McLaren?

Hello rennlisters, here's an interesting first post for you:

I've been a car guy all my life, ever since helping my grandfather work on his cars as a kid. I had a wide range of cars, starting from classics which I restored, through track cars and all the way to new high-end stuff.

I currently own a McLaren 570s, which I do love on it's own, but that comes with a few drawbacks. Namely, the wrong kind attention from law enforcement. I am a young expat with obvious outlandish looks driving around in a McLaren, which means I am pulled over for "random checkups" often. Lately I spent more time explaining my income sources than anyone should, and I'm growing tired of it. Add the usual McLaren reliability issues - and as a result I am now considering my next steps.

I owned a lot of cars in my life, but somehow never a Porsche. Perhaps it's time?
I always like the 993 and 964 turbos. The gemballa 996 and 997 GT2 RS were proudly presented on my wall growing up. So I went and test drove the 993 turbo. To be honest, it was hard to click with the offset pedals and steering wheel. On the other hand, I did drive 997s and cayman/boxsters in the past, in which it was easier to feel at home. A 997 GT2 might just be in the perfect sweet spot for me - a manual, rear wheel driven, powerful and capable car in between the old school rawness and the modern livability - that could still excite when needed to, while staying somewhat under the radar.

Now, to the TL;DR and bottom line for discussion:
1. Did anyone experience both cars and can share some insight?
2. General thoughts on (any) McLaren vs. 997 GT2?
3. I was thinking of a non-CS car for the roadtrip comfort (I do 1-2 alp-roadtrips per year), with a PCM 3 for the android retrofit using OEM hardware - so that I actually have all that i need in a car in terms of everyday use. I plan to drive the car, put miles on it and track more often than I could with the McLaren. The budget actually allows for an RS model, but perhaps I should "settle" for a "base model" given the above information?
4. Am I right to assume that the 997 GT2 will be the perfect in-betweener of the two era's, or will I be disappointed?

Any all all feedback welcome!

Cheers,
Kluven

Last edited by Kluven; 08-07-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2021 | 04:46 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 325 Posts

I cannot do justice to all of your questions, but have some 720S seat time and can give a bit of a comparison to that car (which I know isn't a 570S).

1. The McLaren is much more digital overall, and would be better compared with 991+ variants of the GT2
2. I think the McLaren is a seriously impressive (and other-worldly fast) car stock, but I think of it more as a girlfriend and less like a wife
3. Any GT2 would likely fit your needs, and they are very stout and well engineered cars.
4. Yes, the 997.1 GT2 and 997.2 GT2 RS are absolutely perfect in-betweeners, and are cars that I consider 'forever keepers'.

Best of luck to you, and I suspect that others here will be able to help you even more with your decision.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (08-08-2021)
Old 08-07-2021 | 05:16 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

I tracked down the 2nd owner of my GT2. He actually replaced it with a Mac (cant remember which model) and to this day regrets having done that. His Mac is long gone, and he still misses the GT2 the most of all the cars he has ever owned.

Everyone here will of course say they are great go get one. But dont listen to us.

A little more work on your part will pay off. Unlike the Mac, you probably don’t have a buddy with a 997 GT2 you can ask to let you drive, or a dealer nearby that has them for sale.

If you are serious, you need to go find one of the few GT2’s for sale, hop on a plane (if necessary), and drive /spend a little time with it. Only then will you know if its right for you.

If your budget allows for the RS, then by all means, but first you need to see if this family of cars even works for you.

Old 08-07-2021 | 06:36 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,075 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Kluven
Hello rennlisters, here's an interesting first post for you:

I've been a car guy all my life, ever since helping my grandfather work on his cars as a kid. I had a wide range of cars, starting from classics which I restored, through track cars and all the way to new high-end stuff.

I currently own a McLaren 570s, which I do love on it's own, but that comes with a few drawbacks. Namely, the wrong kind attention from law enforcement. I am a young expat with obvious outlandish looks driving around in a McLaren, which means I am pulled over for "random checkups" often. Lately I spent more time explaining my income sources than anyone should, and I'm growing tired of it. Add the usual McLaren reliability issues - and as a result I am now considering my next steps.

I owned a lot of cars in my life, but somehow never a Porsche. Perhaps it's time?
I always like the 993 and 964 turbos. The gemballa 996 and 997 GT2 RS were proudly presented on my wall growing up. So I went and test drove the 993 turbo. To be honest, it was hard to click with the offset pedals and steering wheel. On the other hand, I did drive 997s and cayman/boxsters in the past, in which it was easier to feel at home. A 997 GT2 might just be in the perfect sweet spot for me - a manual, rear wheel driven, powerful and capable car in between the old school rawness and the modern livability - that could still excite when needed to, while staying somewhat under the radar.

Now, to the TL;DR and bottom line for discussion:
3. I was thinking of a non-CS car for the roadtrip comfort (I do 1-2 alp-roadtrips per year), with a PCM 3 for the android retrofit using OEM hardware - so that I actually have all that i need in a car in terms of everyday use. I plan to drive the car, put miles on it and track more often than I could with the McLaren. The budget actually allows for an RS model, but perhaps I should "settle" for a "base model" given the above information?
4. Am I right to assume that the 997 GT2 will be the perfect in-betweener of the two era's, or will I be disappointed?

Any all all feedback welcome!

Cheers,
Kluven
I'm in agreement with everything Steve Theodore and Mchrono posted. I would only underscore with a slightly bolder script, just how good a dual use care the GT2 is. The car has gobs of torque to pull you around in traffic. The suspension very livable. The attention significantly less and more the kind I don't mind (enthusiasts). Then, when you want to drive aggressively on curvy roads or track, it's ready for whatever you can dish out.

My only add is in relation to road trips and retrofitting modern audio/nav. If Porsche made a Sport Classic retrofit with CarPlay/Andriod Auto, I would have bought it. I know to many, it seems silly to want updated Nav/audio in a car like this but when traveling more than 50/100 miles and in an unfamiliar city, these things are important. I ended up going aftermarket with a specialty installer and the results were fantastic. Everything is current, sounds better and is totally reversible. Effectively, if you can find a top notch installer who understands these cars, there are a lot more options.

Best of luck.

Last edited by ChrisF; 08-07-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Steve Theodore (08-08-2021)
Old 08-07-2021 | 06:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,209 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I'm in agreement with everything Steve Theodore and Mchrono posted. I would only underscore with a slightly bolder script, just how good a dual use care the GT2 is. The car has gobs of torque to pull you around in traffic. The suspension very livable. The attention significantly less and more the kind I don't mind (enthusiasts). Then, when you want to drive aggressively on curvy roads or track, it's ready for whatever you can dish out.

My only add is in relation to road trips and retrofitting modern audio/nav. If Porsche made a Sport Classic retrofit with CarPlay/Andriod Auto, I would have bought it. I know to many, it seems silly to want updated Nav/audio in a car like this but when traveling more than 50/100 miles and in an unfamiliar city, these things are important. I ended up going aftermarket with a specialty installer and the results were fantastic. Everything is current, sounds better and is totally reversible. Effectively, if you can find a top notch installer who understands these cars, there are a lot more options.

Best of luck.
PCCM Plus which has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto should be coming to the 997.1 next year, in case you’re still interested.
Steve Theodore (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021 | 02:04 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,075 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
PCCM Plus which has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto should be coming to the 997.1 next year, in case you’re still interested.
Too late; already did the deed but good news for other 997 owners.
Old 08-08-2021 | 04:04 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kluven
1 & 2. Have a 765LT and had 7.1 GT2, I coming 7.2 GT2 RS. 765 is a totally different animal. Connectivity dialed all the way up, vibrations and sound is always race car theater on. Suspension on GT2 was very compliant for street and fine for track as well. 765LT much more focused and better dampened all around. Digital vs. analogue. 765 obliterates anything not hypercar in speed. 765 feels very well built and don't have reliability issues, except for key programming resetting itself once).
3. 7.1 GT2 would be a fine long distance car. Surprised how daily driveable it was. Been over to the RS side for 991.1, 997.1 and 997.2 a few times and you don't need the RS to get 95% of the driving experience. Can't speak to 997.2 GT2 RS as no seat time in it yet. Arriving next month.
4. You are correct. Great car between eras. You will not regret it. If you find it soft, ChrisF and I have driven a well sorted out 7.1 GT2 and it was a LOL ab workout. Great memories. Should have bought that car!

Last edited by SSTHO; 08-08-2021 at 04:07 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by SSTHO:
007DT (08-13-2021), Kluven (08-08-2021), M Coop (08-23-2021), samwise (10-01-2021)
Old 08-08-2021 | 09:15 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 819 Posts

If you want speed go mclaren. If you want driver engagement go 997 gt2 or gt3. I've tracked nearly all mclarens at sebring (aside from 765) and while being faster weren't as "fun" to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by flsupraguy:
Kluven (08-08-2021), Robocop305 (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021 | 11:04 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
If you want speed go mclaren. If you want driver engagement go 997 gt2 or gt3. I've tracked nearly all mclarens at sebring (aside from 765) and while being faster weren't as "fun" to me.
Can't top a manual for engagement, but the 765 won in all other categories for me - most surprisingly for steering feedback as well. Hope you get to drive one.

Thoughts on 600LT? I haven't drive any sport series platform, but keep hearing great things about that car.
Old 08-08-2021 | 02:10 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Can't top a manual for engagement, but the 765 won in all other categories for me - most surprisingly for steering feedback as well. Hope you get to drive one.

Thoughts on 600LT? I haven't drive any sport series platform, but keep hearing great things about that car.
LOVED the 600lt (especially with top mount exhaust) it was the closest to me to my 997gt3 feel. The 488 challenge car was so great it made driving fast on track too easy (similiar to the 720s). I have not taken a 765lt on track but need to. If you ever come to Sebring let me know
Old 08-08-2021 | 03:08 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

The only thing you would miss going to a 7GT2 from a 570S is the steering, the Mac is just so alive and full of feel, such a delight to drive. My 570S I thought was sharper than my 720S and even 765LT which was surprising but all Macs will make a 7GT2 feel a bit lazy at the helm.
Agree with all the other comments on this thread the 997 is a great era, I bought my 7GT2 new and many cars have come and gone in the 12 years since and the GT2 stays and is enjoyed most days and of course it is manual and I like manual

The expected Porsche PCCM Plus will I think be a bit of a problem if you get a 2009 PCM3 model as I suspect it will only fit the previous gen 997s.

Last edited by TB993tt; 08-08-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2021 | 04:03 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Great post OP. I've owned multiple cars from both platforms and currently have a 675LT and 997.2 GT2RS. The 2RS is new to me as of about 2 months ago and the LT I've had for about 2 years now. Before that I've had a 997.2 GT3RS, 997.1 GT2, and 996 GT3. 997 anything vs mac is such a tough comparison as they are such different cars. The Mac still gives me goosebumps, the 2RS makes me nervous on peak acceleration (widowmaker kind of stuff) in a good way. For everyday use I would say 2RS, its just more practical and gets a lot less looks (Looks like a "normal" turbo to the layman). I'd say both cars are fun on the track but it would depend on what you are looking for. 2RS is much more engaging as stated above and more analog. For me its more of a challenge keeping it on the track due to its weight distribution and relatively thin tires up front. Mac is much quicker and more fun on the track for me because it literally feels like your driving a go-kart, exhaust note is better, steering is fabulous.... (can't comment on the 570s though, I have no seat time). What keys do I grab more frequently now really depends on what kind of experience I'm looking for that day, although I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the 2RS and therefore still drive that more.

Honestly I hesitate to say this on this forum but if I was forced to give one up it would be the 2RS, the Mac is that good. The only car I would replace the 675 with is the 765
Old 10-01-2021 | 09:38 AM
Johnb55
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 997.1 GT2 and had a Mac MP4 12C for a few years. The Mac was fast, but not really engaging to drive. I felt like I was playing a video game. The GT2 is a much more involving car with its manual gearbox and gobs of torque. The Mac is long gone and not really missed, the GT2 is not going anywhere. I've never had the pleasure of driving a Mac LT variant though, that could change my opinion...
Old 10-01-2021 | 03:51 PM
krukdesigns
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've driven the 7.1 GT2 several times and can also say it really is a unicorn. Really enjoy the fact that it kind of is a bit low key in a sense.. highly recommend it all around.
Robocop305 (10-01-2021)
Old 10-01-2021 | 05:55 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 358 Posts

Welcome to RL.
My vote is GT2.
Best of luck with your search.

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 vs... McLaren?