Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Smog Check and EVoms Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 01:32 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 264 Posts

California is not a state that wants you to drive a tuned GT car, much less anything else with an internal combustion engine.
You are a bad person for wanting to do that, and you will have to fight for it. This is just like Calguns.
Will be interesting to see how this whole thing evolves.

Last edited by mchrono; 08-21-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-21-2022, 02:28 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
California is not a state that wants you to drive a tuned GT car, much less anything else with an internal combustion engine.
You are a bad person for wanting to do that, and you will have to fight for it. This is just like Calguns.
Will be interesting to see how this whole thing evolves.
Afaik with reputable guys like Dundon catted and tuned GT cars don’t produce more or less emissions it just changes the window sticker MPG, it’s the Diesel delete guys that ruined this for everyone…the O2 sensor pre and post cat thresholds don’t change with a tune.

things like this just reset the sensors so it takes a while to get them back to normal… nothing unethical about getting lower MPG. Every time someone putts their foot in it or goes over 55 they are voluntarily doing the same thing.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 08-21-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:58 PM
afrancke
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
I don’t know what your tech is talking about with the evap disappearing… do you have access to a friends PIWIS II. Are you sure he isnt just saying evap not ready… do you have a pic of the full fail report?
I do not have access to a PIWIS II. Full report below.

The smog tech is savvy (and caring - he'll warn you if he sees any of the monitors reporting "not ready" prior to running the test). In this case, he specifically asked about whether the EVAP monitor had been coded out, because of whatever he saw when he scanned the car prior to starting the test, and he only observed that after I flashed back to original, i.e. the second time I went that day after failing the first time. I interpreted that to mean something different than the usual "not ready" after disconnecting the battery or resetting fault codes, because he very specifically looks for that and advises folks to go for a drive to remedy.

Looking at your other thread I, don’t want to be oversimplify but your readout looks text book drive cycle. It says you tried to get them to ready by driving a lot. If your not intentionally trying to set them with an extremely strict drive cycle it can take thousands of miles of regular driving.. once it it took 3500 of mixed miles for everything to set for me.
I agree the "not ready" columns look textbook drive cycle; what got me wondering is the "not available" status in addition to the "not ready" status. I don't have any other baseline screenshotted for that car using the same apps/dongle to compare with unfortunately.

If your flash messed up your computer as your tech implied your car wouldn’t even know what O2 mix to use, the other sensors would be off etc and you’d have an engine light.
Also, what I see is more than just the EVAP monitor reporting missing - it's nearly all the other interesting ones (including "catalyst") - I don't know why the tech didn't mention those, too. Knowing little to nothing about what "tunes" are capable of doing beyond changing data tables such as fuel maps, I took it as possible that they might contain code to (for example) modify the way the emissions monitors report status over OBDII but not how the emissions systems function internally.
Old 08-21-2022, 04:25 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Hmm 996 don’t have EGR valves so I see no issue… if you were missing all those others the report would have also shown that… it shows them working.

did you maybe flash back to your stock tune but didn’t uninstall the evom OS? I’ve done that before unintentionally and only figured it out when I hooked up my Porsche diag software.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 08-21-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:06 PM
afrancke
Advanced

Hmm 996 don’t have EGR valves so I see no issue… if you were missing all those others the report would have also shown that… it shows them working.
I'm not sure what to make of it either. Durametric shows everything ready (even after doing something that would normally unready things, like clearing faults). The other apps I have clearly show things listed here like "catalyst" as missing/not available. The section these appear on this sheet is "visual inspection" so I am guessing that's why they're all passing (nothing visually noted about them). I did fail at this same shop last December for aftermarket DVs, so I know he's looking (I finally got around to going back to OE DVs this past week, which is what triggered me to take it back in).

did you maybe flash back to your stock tune but didn’t uninstall the evom OS? I’ve done that before unintentionally and only figured it out when I hooked up my Porsche diag software.
I did not know that was an option. The handset I have (looks like this link) only offers switching back to "original" or (once one has done that) selecting from one of two EVOMS tune files - X50 (which I have optioned on the car) and some other (which I assumed was a non-X50 default tune). The shop where I purchased this didn't mention any steps beyond that.

Last edited by afrancke; 08-21-2022 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2022, 05:40 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

I’m not sure since I don’t have Evoms, but I assumed it worked like the Cobb. Where I had a screen with multiple tunes to switch to OR un-install cobb accessport all together.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 08-21-2022 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:01 AM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by afrancke
I'm not sure what to make of it either. Durametric shows everything ready (even after doing something that would normally unready things, like clearing faults). The other apps I have clearly show things listed here like "catalyst" as missing/not available. The section these appear on this sheet is "visual inspection" so I am guessing that's why they're all passing (nothing visually noted about them). I did fail at this same shop last December for aftermarket DVs, so I know he's looking (I finally got around to going back to OE DVs this past week, which is what triggered me to take it back in).

I did not know that was an option. The handset I have (looks like this link) only offers switching back to "original" or (once one has done that) selecting from one of two EVOMS tune files - X50 (which I have optioned on the car) and some other (which I assumed was a non-X50 default tune). The shop where I purchased this didn't mention any steps beyond that.
Any updates OP? I have an EVOMS tune and wondering if I’ll pass next year.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:36 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,713 Posts

If we all go at the same time, I also have to smog next year, maybe it will trick the system into thinking a tuned car is the stock form.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:28 PM
afrancke
Advanced

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Any updates OP? I have an EVOMS tune and wondering if I’ll pass next year.
No updates - I haven't resumed drives to attempt to ready the monitors yet.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:12 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by afrancke
No updates - I haven't resumed drives to attempt to ready the monitors yet.
Got it. Just to confirm though it didn't flag your car for a smog referee station when it found it tuned and its allowing you to go back with a stock tune to re-smog?

That's one concern I had where if I fail with the EVOMS tune if it will flag the car to then have to go to a state ref instead of being able to re-smog with the stock tune at the normal station.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:11 AM
afrancke
Advanced

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Got it. Just to confirm though it didn't flag your car for a smog referee station when it found it tuned and its allowing you to go back with a stock tune to re-smog?
So far, not - but I've only gone twice.

Quick Reply: Smog Check and EVoms Tune