Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Want to sell/trade my 997.2 GT3 for an AMG G63....>

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 06:56 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

the difference between values has nothing to do with the performance difference in driving and feel. if that was the case a 911R would not be 2-3x the price of a GT3 touring; even though the touring, IMO is the better driving car of the two. or why is 4.0 going for $500-600k and 3.8 only $200k; the performance difference between these two is about same as GT3 vs RS. I keep scratching my head trying understand the market. But in the end. we know RS is always more valuable vs. non-RS. and production # of cars makes a difference too. and between those, the ones with low miles, unmolested and like new carry an additional premium. and that is only for those who view these as collectable vs. wanting to enjoy and drive hard. sadly the ladder are being pushed out even more vs. ever these days.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 07-01-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:15 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Beginning to suspect the market on really nice 3.8RS is approaching $300k.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:30 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
the difference between values has nothing to do with the performance difference in driving and feel. if that was the case a 911R would not be 2-3x the price of a GT3 touring; even though the touring, IMO is the better driving car of the two. or why is 4.0 going for $500-600k and 3.8 only $200k; the performance difference between these two is about same as GT3 vs RS. I keep scratching my head trying understand the market. But in the end. we know RS is always more valuable vs. non-RS. and production # of cars makes a difference too. and between those, the ones with low miles, unmolested and like new carry an additional premium. and that is only for those who view these as collectable vs. wanting to enjoy and drive hard. sadly the ladder are being pushed out even more vs. ever these days.
the definition of value is in the eye (or wallet) of those willing to spend the money. My point above supports my definition of "value" is as a driver. And you put it perfectly in the 2nd bolded statement (except that drivers who already own are inherently not pushed out). I personally laugh at these market bubbles, but only because I already own, and I have the attitude that miles don't matter. I will pile them on without guilt. Investment be dammed. I'll die before it makes any difference,... and then it will be my kids that can deal with whether they prefer to drive, or collect (& worry about valuations).

If there's another car I desire in the future, I will once again, hope to be ahead of the desirability curve. Lucky maybe,.. but I have been in front of every "sports" car I've ever bought (never lost any money,... although all the American muscle included a lot of blood sweat & labor effort to restore & improve).

The only cars I have really lost money on is my 4Runners (two of them over 25 yrs of ownership), and my current 2012 958 Cayenne Turbo, which has depreciated like nobody's business!! Lol

carry on....
The following 3 users liked this post by bweSteve:
Laguna_Dude (07-01-2021), pissedpuppy (07-04-2021), Robocop305 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 10:31 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Seems like it has for some cars. Grand Prix Motors had a highly specced 7k mile Grey/Red example and they were asking $300k. I’m pretty sure the car is sold as it has been removed from their website. If it did, then it sold in less than a couple of weeks.

http://mileage.city/yqeny-MwNz
Old 07-01-2021, 10:32 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

i believe you are correct... ask me how i know lololol
Old 07-01-2021, 10:42 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Seems like it has for some cars. Grand Prix Motors had a highly specced 7k mile Grey/Red example and they were asking $300k. I’m pretty sure the car is sold as it has been removed from their website. If it did, then it sold in less than a couple of weeks.

http://mileage.city/yqeny-MwNz
I bought that one. felt like I got a fair deal in the end. will values go down or up from here? not sure, but for me, after having wasted so much $ chasing each newer generation of RS only to be disappointed/bored.. and it was when i bought my 992 Turbo S back in Feb that I realized the direction Porsche was going and that sold me on snagging a 997 RS and realized just how special these are and how they will never be made again. and as an enthusiast driver/owner, to me the driving experience is what is invaluable and the new cars don't cut it.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 07-01-2021 at 10:57 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Laguna_Dude:
bweSteve (07-02-2021), Elliotw44 (07-01-2021), Finlander (07-02-2021), RapidGT (07-01-2021), Robocop305 (07-02-2021), seis-speed (07-02-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-01-2021, 10:53 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bweSteve
the definition of value is in the eye (or wallet) of those willing to spend the money. My point above supports my definition of "value" is as a driver. And you put it perfectly in the 2nd bolded statement (except that drivers who already own are inherently not pushed out). I personally laugh at these market bubbles, but only because I already own, and I have the attitude that miles don't matter. I will pile them on without guilt. Investment be dammed. I'll die before it makes any difference,... and then it will be my kids that can deal with whether they prefer to drive, or collect (& worry about valuations).

If there's another car I desire in the future, I will once again, hope to be ahead of the desirability curve. Lucky maybe,.. but I have been in front of every "sports" car I've ever bought (never lost any money,... although all the American muscle included a lot of blood sweat & labor effort to restore & improve).

The only cars I have really lost money on is my 4Runners (two of them over 25 yrs of ownership), and my current 2012 958 Cayenne Turbo, which has depreciated like nobody's business!! Lol

carry on....
I agree with you 100%!!! I invest in stocks, bonds, real estate and my businesses. never cars. if they go up great! if they go down, no problem; I never spend beyond what i am willing to completely lose on a car. back in the day (i feel old even typing that), these 3/RS cars where for the most part bought and owned by enthusiasts and guys who took pride in their craft as drivers, they tracked these cars and we would laugh at the Ferrari owners who couldn't drive and only cared about showing off. when 991/pdk came out; a whole new buyer was added to mix... and since then guys like us have been a dwindling breed. i feel the auto industry has evolved so much that getting ahead of a desirability curve is almost impossible. 996? lolol

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 07-01-2021 at 10:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Laguna_Dude:
bweSteve (07-02-2021), Elliotw44 (07-01-2021), Robocop305 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 08:05 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

I bought that one. felt like I got a fair deal in the end. will values go down or up from here? not sure, but for me, after having wasted so much $ chasing each newer generation of RS only to be disappointed/bored.. and it was when i bought my 992 Turbo S back in Feb that I realized the direction Porsche was going and that sold me on snagging a 997 RS and realized just how special these are and how they will never be made again. and as an enthusiast driver/owner, to me the driving experience is what is invaluable and the new cars don't cut it.
Dude: I did same as you. Sold my 991.2 RS and went back to the 997 Gen which I loved. Got fed up chasing the latest and greatest and pouring $ into my dealer’s pockets ever 4 years. I concluded the way forward was going back. Bought this one from Isringhausen in January. I was actually looking for a really nice Grey Black and just stumbled into this one.

I paid $200k and felt I over paid by $10k. It’s not as highly optioned as yours but was a factory White/Gold with 9k miles.

Looks like Grand Prix Motors sold the other Grey Black they had too. Not as nice as yours. They had it for some time now it’s gone.

Even newer RS used values are up. I suspect due to the computer chip shortage. I believe those values will sink as chips become available and wonder if the older Gen RS values stay where they are.?

Yours is a real beauty! 👍 congrats and enjoy!

Last edited by Waxer; 07-02-2021 at 08:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Waxer:
Laguna_Dude (07-02-2021), seis-speed (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 03:40 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Dude: I did same as you. Sold my 991.2 RS and went back to the 997 Gen which I loved. Got fed up chasing the latest and greatest and pouring $ into my dealer’s pockets ever 4 years. I concluded the way forward was going back. Bought this one from Isringhausen in January. I was actually looking for a really nice Grey Black and just stumbled into this one.

I paid $200k and felt I over paid by $10k. It’s not as highly optioned as yours but was a factory White/Gold with 9k miles.

Looks like Grand Prix Motors sold the other Grey Black they had too. Not as nice as yours. They had it for some time now it’s gone.

Even newer RS used values are up. I suspect due to the computer chip shortage. I believe those values will sink as chips become available and wonder if the older Gen RS values stay where they are.?

Yours is a real beauty! 👍 congrats and enjoy!
Hey there Waxer! Thank you so much!! I remember you from back in the day! Glad you are well! And congrats on the beautiful RS!!! Love that spec!!! I would feel a lot better if I got mine at $200k LOLOLOL. But no point in crying over spilled milk! My plan is the keep this new 997.2 RS as a permanent member of my collection; will drive it; even on a track every now and them; but maybe at 8/10th's just to re-live the glory days lololol.

As for values, Porsche made something like 9,000 991.1 3/RS' and 6,000 991.2 3/RS; I suspect once the chip supply chain catches up; Porsche will make at least 5000+ 992 GT3/RS'. My guess is that 991's will dip back to below MSRP; new 992's will be at or just above MSPR until 2023; and new car prices are only going to continue going up due to rise in costs, longer finance terms (guys getting 84-month loans vs paying cash), etc.; but for 997 gen; they only made 1500 of these 3.8 RS and how many of those are super clean, unmolested, stock, low mile, no over-rev cars? I would guess well below 500 at this point. And given they are last generation of Mezger (yes, 4.0 is swan song), last gen with hydrolic steering, without the annoying rear-wheel steering, you can see the engine, etc. etc. I suspect while they may pull back a little from highs; I am guessing these new prices are the new baseline for these cars. This is just my guess; but really who knows. I do know Porsche is never going to make another car like ours; and to me that is all that matters; as I have one and will be able to drive a pure sports car from now forward!

Again, thank you!!!!

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 07-02-2021 at 03:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 05:30 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Hey there Waxer! Thank you so much!! I remember you from back in the day! Glad you are well! And congrats on the beautiful RS!!! Love that spec!!! I would feel a lot better if I got mine at $200k LOLOLOL. But no point in crying over spilled milk! My plan is the keep this new 997.2 RS as a permanent member of my collection; will drive it; even on a track every now and them; but maybe at 8/10th's just to re-live the glory days lololol.

As for values, Porsche made something like 9,000 991.1 3/RS' and 6,000 991.2 3/RS; I suspect once the chip supply chain catches up; Porsche will make at least 5000+ 992 GT3/RS'. My guess is that 991's will dip back to below MSRP; new 992's will be at or just above MSPR until 2023; and new car prices are only going to continue going up due to rise in costs, longer finance terms (guys getting 84-month loans vs paying cash), etc.; but for 997 gen; they only made 1500 of these 3.8 RS and how many of those are super clean, unmolested, stock, low mile, no over-rev cars? I would guess well below 500 at this point. And given they are last generation of Mezger (yes, 4.0 is swan song), last gen with hydrolic steering, without the annoying rear-wheel steering, you can see the engine, etc. etc. I suspect while they may pull back a little from highs; I am guessing these new prices are the new baseline for these cars. This is just my guess; but really who knows. I do know Porsche is never going to make another car like ours; and to me that is all that matters; as I have one and will be able to drive a pure sports car from now forward!

Again, thank you!!!!
👍
Old 07-07-2021, 01:41 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 419 Posts

Love the animated debate and discussion re: "base" GT3 and RS! Burren, if you get the chance, spring for the GT3 Cup ring & pinion. I had it in my former GT3, in addition with the RS LWFW and clutch, and it sprinted like a scalded cat! It felt so nimble and quick in any gear. I don't have the benefit of driving a GT3 with the stock R&P for comparison but based on what I've read from others, changing out the R&P makes a world of difference and is one of the few mods that pays dividends in driving pleasure and smiles. The only negative is slightly less MPG and you're running at 3,700+ RPM at highway speeds. But totally worth it.

Originally Posted by Burren
It's pretty cool that you got to experience both at the same time. My "pedestrian" GT3 has the 4.0 LWFW and clutch in it, which really does make the revs zip. I wonder how the shorter RS gearing feels though.

Last edited by Busta Rib; 07-07-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:18 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Love the animated debate and discussion re: "base" GT3 and RS! Burren, if you get the chance, spring for the GT3 Cup ring & pinion. I had it in my former GT3, in addition with the RS LWFW and clutch, and it sprinted like a scalded cat! It felt so nimble and quick in any gear. I don't have the benefit of driving a GT3 with the stock R&P for comparison but based on what I've read from others, changing out the R&P makes a world of difference and is one of the few mods that pays dividends in driving pleasure and smiles. The only negative is slightly less MPG and you're running at 3,700+ RPM at highway speeds. But totally worth it.
I have no experience with the cup car R&P. But I can tell you that the thought of swapping the R&P haunted me while I owned a GT3. I did everything else you'd want to the car. In fact, when I read folks talk about their first drive in a GT3 or RS and how it's so incredible, I beg to differ. My modded up GT3 was special, but these cars are a bit pedestrian to my liking in their OEM form. Having moved to an RS, I can tell you that the difference in accelerating between a GT3 and an RS is so minimal that it's really not worth the cost to upgrade a GT3. Just MHO anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 11:31 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ranger22
I have no experience with the cup car R&P. But I can tell you that the thought of swapping the R&P haunted me while I owned a GT3. I did everything else you'd want to the car. In fact, when I read folks talk about their first drive in a GT3 or RS and how it's so incredible, I beg to differ. My modded up GT3 was special, but these cars are a bit pedestrian to my liking in their OEM form. Having moved to an RS, I can tell you that the difference in accelerating between a GT3 and an RS is so minimal that it's really not worth the cost to upgrade a GT3. Just MHO anyway.
If just chasing acceleration I agree. Cost difference is not worth it.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:54 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

If just chasing acceleration I agree. Cost difference is not worth it.
wel said l@Waxer !

Quick Reply: Want to sell/trade my 997.2 GT3 for an AMG G63....>