Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Want to sell/trade my 997.2 GT3 for an AMG G63....>

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021 | 12:09 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Kevin & Waxer speaking truths too.

and yes, I crack myself up too.

and I will also say this,... I am a wide body guy. I come from many decades of love for my 964 Turbo. And I Loooove the hips on a RS (not so much a fan of the erector set risers, but I'm also not on the track. If I was, then that would not bother me AT ALL).
yes I wish my regular GT3 had the wide hips. I lust for the hips hahahaha

Lol, ... yea, I'm a bit all over the map on this very narrow debate. some things I like, others I don't. I think all of us are like that. And this has been said MANY times,... but 997 GT3's rock. They are simply the best.

When I heard that the new 992's would all come with the wide body, I LOVED the idea. I loved it because I would have been able to choose any model I wanted, and it would have wide flares front & rear. I also didn't really care that since all of them have wide body, then none of them are more special than another (when considering only the wide-body aspect of it).
.... then I saw the rest of the car (especially the interior), and all the wind went out my sails.

I won't get into the G63 -vs- 997 GT3 debate, because I agree it's kinda senseless. I also think that the difference between $150k, and $140K is PEANUTS. Saying the OP is nutts for asking $150k, but then saying the car is worth $140k is just funny to me. At that point, $10K is nothing!!! Even a $15k gap is nothing at this stage of the game. Sure, ask $150k, take something less than that. Its the game, and he should play it.

Pleeeease tell me some of you guys are making him offers on his car!!!

Oh, and YA KNOW WHAT?!!! ... while I've got the floor here,.... I also think it is HILARIOUS when you go to all the other subforums for the other variants,... the GTS subforum,... the Turbo subforum,.... etc,... and embedded in there you will find all the members ranting & raving about how that model is clearly THE BEST out of ALL the choices. Hundreds of reasons are given to support it. Cheers from the crowd,.... and everyone agrees.....

it literally has me in stitches ... we are all guilty

Last edited by bweSteve; 06-25-2021 at 12:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bweSteve:
Bella (06-25-2021), Robocop305 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 04:27 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Originally Posted by GlenGT3
Not always true. I was not price sensitive when buying but seeked out a non-RS GT3 because I prefer the less "racer like" look for street use. Performance between both was the same on the street, and I don't race so that's all that mattered. I actually preferred the way the GT3 drove as it seemed a bit more civilized and less clunky with the normal flywheel. If I was strictly tracking the car, I would have gone with the RS but for backroads, the regular GT3 made more sense.

It's true that the .1 RS was more exclusive, with about twice as many non-RS variants made. That wasn't the case for the .2 though. I think production numbers of .2 RS and .2 non-RS were within 100 units.
I am with Glen, I could have bought either, but preferred the subtle looks of the GT3. I am not a sticker person, red wheels, gold wheels, big wing, it is just not my personal taste. That being said a dark grey with the right wheels is possibly subtle enough for me, the white on black etc. but some of the options were just a bit much for me when I was looking for a car and I was torn about taking off the wing and the stickers, so I just went with the car I was more comfortable with.

Last edited by seis-speed; 06-25-2021 at 04:29 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by seis-speed:
Bella (06-25-2021), GlenGT3 (06-25-2021), Upscale Audio (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 04:43 AM
Bella
8th Gear

Originally Posted by daddyscar
A year ago, this G63 was at our local Benz dealer at about $135k. My business was in the crapper and the stock market hadn't fully recovered yet. The brush bar was already removed. I wanted it badly. They do have a new one listed but it may be claimed already, https://www.mbofmarin.com/new-San+Rafael-2021-Mercedes+Benz+AMG-G+63+SUV-G+Class-W1NYC7HJ5MX398392.

Is a good car
Old 06-25-2021 | 04:46 AM
Bella
8th Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Serpico69
Helllo, I posted this on Gwagon forum on mbworld.org-popular gwagon forum and wanted to send this to the group here as well in case a long shot someone here was looking to acquire a perfect 997.2 GT3. Long post below, sorry but I wanted to be detailed about it. Thank you

Hi all

I posted a while back just getting a feel. This is an extremely long post so if you are not interested in buying a GT3 you may not want to read the rest-fair warning- i can be longwinded!

I had mentioned to the group I was considering selling my 997.2 GT3 to get a brand new G wagon. Earlier post

I would like to take this to the next level but I’m not sure if this is even doable. The G63 may be the GT3 RS 4.0, meaning impossible to buy unless your older brother owns a dealership-lol..funny but almost true...

I know I have a very sought after car. Can you believe a 992 Carrera S is about $145 grand these days.

I would like to do a deal with someone who has a G63 allocation and if that person wants to give that up I would trade my car and some cash to be agreed-upon.

That is the difficult part, agreeing on the value of my GT3. There are very few for sale and they have gone up significantly in the last six months.

Those of you who are Porsche aficionados know that this is a very special car, no need to talk about the engine and the last of the analog cars etc. etc. Again they rarely come up for sale and I believe I may have the lowest mileage one in the United States.

Here is the information and details on my car for those of you who are interested in exploring this. Of course I also have pics and a video if we engage in a serious dialog.

It is a 2011 997.2 GT3. It is GT silver with black interior.

It has a sport Chrono package dynamic engine mounts and fire extinguisher. It does not have the front lift axle. Steel brakes.

I bought this brand new at Porsche of Melbourne Florida in October 2010. I am the only owner.

this car has never spent the night outside. It has been garaged 24 seven. It has never been tracked, never been driven in the rain, never left the state of Florida. I have not even let someone who has smoked a cigarette get into my car without washing their hands. This should give you an idea of how the car was treated

I have all the maintenance records with oil changes, brake flushed and spark plug changes. It has a brand new set of Pirelli tires which are about A year old and have seen less than 500 miles on them.

The total mileage on the car is about 7950.

Again this car does not have one scratch on it it is absolutely show room condition and indistinguishable from new.

It just sits in the garage and I have not driven it in about two years. I just keep it maintained and cleaned and the battery charged but it is just sitting there appreciating in value.

Now I thought instead of treating this as a mutual fund why not let me drive some thing at least that I enjoy and can use instead of just sitting there. That is the reason for me getting rid of it. I just turned 50 and frankly Porsche race cars are just not for me anymore.

I am looking to order a brand new and I’m not interested in used. I do not buy used cars, never have, never will. I want to be the original owner.

I am looking at a G 63 in Jupiter REd or monzo grey (have not decided yet) with very little options. I would probably do the carbon fiber option and that’s it. So generally speaking this is about 170 K MSRP best as I could see in the builder.

My email is ericmhochman@gmail.com

I am not really sure how we move forward or if this is even doable. I am not willing to pay an additional markup. I got my GT3 at list price and I plan on getting the Mercedes at list price or I will just wait another couple of years or just not even get one. I am in no rush to sell or trade my 997.2 gt3 as it just sits there and I have a Land Cruiser as a daily driver which I am super happy with.

If I do this we will do this the right way I am located in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and we can have a Porsche dealer or Mercedes dealer do the transaction for us.

I did want to say some thing so we’re not wasting everyone’s time. I don’t know the exact value of my car but it’s certainly not $125,000. I saw one listed for $150,000 and that had 15,000 miles on it. and by the way, we can all agree to disagree but I think the 997.2 GT3 is a 180k to 200k in a few years. as i said earlier and I am sure all of you know, a new 992 s mid optioned is almost $145k..and lets be real honest-that is not a special car..its just not. yes its faster and has better tech than my gt3 but its jyst not special..and all of you know what i mean..when you sit in a gt3 its special..

I just wanted to say as a point of reference I am not interested in lowball offers and want to be fair but reasonable.

Anyway thank you very much for reading and if you have any interest or are creative in sales and know how to get this deal done for me where both parties are happy and feel fairly treated for this high flying expensive swap sale please let me know.
Thanks again
Your writing is very good and helpful to me
Old 06-25-2021 | 10:00 AM
GlenGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by bweSteve

When I heard that the new 992's would all come with the wide body, I LOVED the idea. I loved it because I would have been able to choose any model I wanted, and it would have wide flares front & rear. I also didn't really care that since all of them have wide body, then none of them are more special than another (when considering only the wide-body aspect of it).
I think this is mostly Porsche marketing BS. There are still two body width in the 992 series, it just happens that the narrow body of the 992 is as wide as the wide body of the previous 991 since they made the 992 cars bigger overall. The 992 Turbo has a wider body than the Carreras and GT3s (74.9 vs 72.9). So, technically speaking, all 992 Carreras, including the 4 and Targa and the GT3s are actually narrow body cars. Only the Turbo (and presumably future RS models) are wide body.
Old 06-25-2021 | 10:42 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

I'm smiling while I type all this,... and for sure want you to know that we are splitting hairs,... which can be fun. If we were both sitting at a bar having beers, we would be laughing at these comparisons.
So it's all in good spirit....

Ok, here's where you & I depart. We've agreed on a lot of things over the past few years,... but in light hearted spirit, I'll say this:

To your first point on Quantities & Exclusivity of the RS only:
For all of North America:
.1 & .2 RS = (411 + 541) = 952
.1 & .2 non-RS = (917 + 657) = 1,574
.................. are you reeeeeally saying that the difference between these two quantities, given how many OTHER variants are out there in the many many thousands,... justifies your claim? ... just sayin' .... in the grand scheme of things,... RS is not so much more exclusive verses regular GT3's. Only here in this sub-forum will RS lovers make such a small distinction, so large.

To your 2nd point, sure maybe there are no RS owners who would want to switch (in your mind "backwards") to a regular GT3,... but there are TONS of us non-RS owners who VERY specifically did NOT buy a RS, and for VERY good reasons. So yea, I get that you can twist that statement to your advantage,... but I could also make the claim: "There are MANY of us GT3 owners who would not switch to a RS".

Lovingly,
=Steve
Ok Steve, first and foremost (re:numbers) facts are facts. Fewer is fewer, and more is more (despite the delta) - I wasn't trying to make big deal of it. No "small distinction being made to look large". it's just a fact, albeit a small fact.

I'd love to meet the TONS of NB owners that specifically did not buy an RS. More importantly, I really want to know about these "VERY good reasons" for not wanting an RS that you mentioned?

I'm not twisting anything, and don't really see an advantage - sorry you got so defensive but I posted my reality. BTW, my previous NB GT3s were both badass cars. That and everyone knows the .1 cars both have the same HP and are very compatible as far as performance goes. BUT, IMO, they don't compare from a looks standpoint - nit even close. But, like color, looks (in general) can be subjective

As for the more "low key" look of a NB - whats the point? Why not just get a C2S and save some money? It's not like a NB looks like a Touring, or is some kind of sleeper??? Do you guys remove the GT3 badge too? I'm truly curious, and no, no debate starting here, simply facts and opinions (yes, I see the gray area in that mix).

Cheers,
David

Last edited by pissedpuppy; 06-25-2021 at 10:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SupraSaiyan (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 10:54 AM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
Ok Steve, first and foremost (re:numbers) facts are facts. Fewer is fewer, and more is more (despite the delta) - I wasn't trying to make big deal of it. No "small distinction being made to look large". it's just a fact, albeit a small fact.

I'd love to meet the TONS of NB owners that specifically did not buy an RS. More importantly, I really want to know about these "VERY good reasons" for not wanting an RS that you mentioned?

I'm not twisting anything, and don't really see an advantage - sorry you got so defensive but I posted my reality. BTW, my previous NB GT3s were both badass cars. That and everyone knows the .1 cars both have the same HP and are very compatible as far as performance goes. BUT, IMO, they don't compare from a looks standpoint - nit even close. But, like color, looks (in general) can be subjective

As for the more "low key" look of a NB - whats the point? Why not just get a C2S and save some money? It's not like a NB looks like a Touring, or is some kind of sleeper??? I'm truly surious

Cheers,
David
I prefer the less race car looks of the non-RS. I also prefer the performance of the GT3 over a 2S or GTS. So, I fit that model exactly like Steve does. I wanted the car to drive, not to be looked at and there are times when I don't want clients to see a huge wing. A slightly wider car and minor performance boost (not usable on the street, by the way) wasn't worth another $50,000-$75,000 for a car that visually is a little too much.

Just like you said above, you post "your reality". Well, everyone's "reality" and taste is different by degrees. YOU think the looks don't compare. But, you are not everyone. Keep that in mind.
Robocop305 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 10:57 AM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

As for the more "low key" look of a NB - whats the point? Why not just get a C2S and save some money? It's not like a NB looks like a Touring, or is some kind of sleeper??? I'm truly surious

Cheers,
David
Where would you like to meet? I'm one of those owners that specifically did not buy an RS. I simply did not like the boy racer look, the regular GT3 was bad enough in that regard, and there was no measurable offsetting performance increase that would want to make me compromise on looks . Strictly a personal preference. If you prefer the looks of the RS I have nothing but respect for that.
Regarding why not just get a C2S....c'mon, is that a serious question? The GT3 and RS are basically the same car. The Carreras are not even close. People who prefer the regular GT3 simply want the performance of the NA Mezger GT car without over-the-top looks. It's simply subjective. Obviously the RS will always be the "top dog" because that's how Porsche positioned it in the lineup. But that doesn't mean it becomes the preferential model for all all buyers.

Last edited by 8Lug; 06-25-2021 at 11:01 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 8Lug:
cbracerx (06-26-2021), pissedpuppy (06-25-2021), Robocop305 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 11:20 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Differences between .2 GT3 and .2 RS aren’t super significant and I had both at the same time for about a month. Most noticeable ones I noticed are the LWFW and shorter gearing. Besides that, they feel pretty much the same.

The jump between .2 GT3 and .2 RS a year ago was $88k (in my case, though my RS had 1900 miles when I bought it and my GT3 had 28k) and I had a hard time justifying the (at the time) large price delta. I would definitely not be able to stomach the price delta in today’s market as it seems like in some cases $100k+ for cars with equal miles and condition. Not worth it IMO. Would rather have a .2 GT3 and a 997 Turbo (or 981 GT4) rather than one .2 RS.

The following 3 users liked this post by RapidGT:
pissedpuppy (06-25-2021), Robocop305 (06-26-2021), SupraSaiyan (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 11:35 AM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Differences between .2 GT3 and .2 RS aren’t super significant and I had both at the same time for about a month. Most noticeable ones I noticed are the LWFW and shorter gearing. Besides that, they feel pretty much the same.

The jump between .2 GT3 and .2 RS a year ago was $88k (in my case, though my RS had 1900 miles when I bought it and my GT3 had 28k) and I had a hard time justifying the (at the time) large price delta. I would definitely not be able to stomach the price delta in today’s market as it seems like in some cases $100k+ for cars with equal miles and condition. Not worth it IMO. Would rather have a .2 GT3 and a 997 Turbo (or 981 GT4) rather than one .2 RS.
It's pretty cool that you got to experience both at the same time. My "pedestrian" GT3 has the 4.0 LWFW and clutch in it, which really does make the revs zip. I wonder how the shorter RS gearing feels though.
Old 06-25-2021 | 11:43 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 8Lug
Where would you like to meet? I'm one of those owners that specifically did not buy an RS. I simply did not like the boy racer look, the regular GT3 was bad enough in that regard, and there was no measurable offsetting performance increase that would want to make me compromise on looks . Strictly a personal preference. If you prefer the looks of the RS I have nothing but respect for that.
Regarding why not just get a C2S....c'mon, is that a serious question? The GT3 and RS are basically the same car. The Carreras are not even close. People who prefer the regular GT3 simply want the performance of the NA Mezger GT car without over-the-top looks. It's simply subjective. Obviously the RS will always be the "top dog" because that's how Porsche positioned it in the lineup. But that doesn't mean it becomes the preferential model for all all buyers.
there are a number of white RS' that had no decals....they can also be removed

how big is the ing on a NB compared to an RS *in .1s anyway - not .2s)?

I agree, LOTS of subjectivity in this discussion. I had stated before when I got my RS that I wasn't sure the difference was worth the money. I'm not even sure my last NB GT3 wasn't a stronger performer, I know it was louder and lower (but that was likely the cup splitter, LOL)
Old 06-25-2021 | 11:46 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Burren
I prefer the less race car looks of the non-RS. I also prefer the performance of the GT3 over a 2S or GTS. So, I fit that model exactly like Steve does. I wanted the car to drive, not to be looked at and there are times when I don't want clients to see a huge wing. A slightly wider car and minor performance boost (not usable on the street, by the way) wasn't worth another $50,000-$75,000 for a car that visually is a little too much.

Just like you said above, you post "your reality". Well, everyone's "reality" and taste is different by degrees. YOU think the looks don't compare. But, you are not everyone. Keep that in mind.
I also said it was subjective....
Old 06-25-2021 | 12:35 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

bummed

I tried reeeally hard David, to bring light heartedness to my writing.
The group has done this type of splitting hairs comparison so many times in the past (most times I opted out of),... that I thought I could inject some levity,.... just have some fun in the OP's thread - positive banter if you will.

..... sorry you got so defensive
I'm smiling while I type all this,... can be fun. ... sitting at a bar having beers, we would be laughing at these comparisons.
So it's all in good spirit....
Lovingly,
=Steve
I should know better than to try to have some bar stool fun ... but on a keyboard. It just doesn't come across as well as I hoped.
Sorry to have bothered you guys. I'll shut up now.
Old 06-25-2021 | 01:01 PM
zdet
Rennlist Member

bummed

I tried reeeally hard David, to bring light heartedness to my writing.
The group has done this type of splitting hairs comparison so many times in the past (most times I opted out of),... that I thought I could inject some levity,.... just have some fun in the OP's thread - positive banter if you will.

I should know better than to try to have some bar stool fun ... but on a keyboard. It just doesn't come across as well as I hoped.
Steve, I enjoyed it. Keep the bar-stool fun coming.

There isn't a single right answer here. I have a RS now, and went with a white/no graphics .1 so as to be ... "discrete". Having had two .1 GT3s prior, the $$ difference was worth it for me, but I always wanted a RS. I also loved my GT3s and think they are about the best bang for buck out there. It's nice we all have options!

seis-speed (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021 | 01:38 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Please don't shut up. It's these different perspectives that make this forum worthwhile reading. What's best for me may not be best for you. What's best for me today may not be best for me tomorrow. Needs change, people's tastes change, cars change. If we ranked cars from best to worst and everyone came to a 100% agreement, this forum would cease to exists and we would have to go back to doing real work. Please don't let that happen.
The following 3 users liked this post by GlenGT3:
Robocop305 (06-26-2021), seis-speed (06-25-2021), ShortApproach (06-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Want to sell/trade my 997.2 GT3 for an AMG G63....>