Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Want to sell/trade my 997.2 GT3 for an AMG G63....>

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 10:58 AM
mr.rpm
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Did I miss something here? You want approx $30,000 over list price for your 10-11 year old car but refuse to pay any premium for a brand new G63 that is difficult to buy new with very long waiting lists and sells for huge premiums everyday? Or am I confused?
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 12:35 PM
sbaro
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I get what you are saying but I think it points out some interesting observations in the current market with respect to price sensitivity and the substitution effect (apologies if this is moving too OT). I.e. at what point does a price sensitive buyer substitute away from a .2 GT3, either into a .1 GT3, or into a 991.2 GT3 (or even a 992 GT3, as $30k over the $160k list should get one). Non-price sensitive buyers would of course only consider the RS models, which explains the comparatively huge premiums for those models.
Bella (06-25-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 12:43 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio

There is something askew with the 997 GT market. The delta between GT3 and GT3RS is too wide. It should not be the $50k-$70k we see at times.
RS is RS

They're fewer of them than the NB version...exclusivity is real, wide bodies are real and that's whether one likes it or not

I had 2 NB GT3s and ALWAYS wanted an RS. I know of no one who ever had an RS and wanted a NB GT3 (even though the capabilities are very similar)
The following 2 users liked this post by pissedpuppy:
Finlander (06-24-2021), Steve Theodore (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 12:43 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

It's rare where you can win on both ends of a deal given a single time in the marketplace. Elevated values and demand right now will help you get a good (high) price on your 997.2 GT3 for sure, but you're not likely to get any type of deal on a high demand vehicle like an AMG G63.

More to the point...I think you're insane to do the deal at all. The G63 is a huge pile of crap in contrast, and you probably won't even want it for long, whereas your 997.2 GT3 is a superb car that will likely stay in demand for a long time. Good luck to you regardless!
The following 3 users liked this post by Steve Theodore:
-eztrader- (06-25-2021), Flat6997 (06-24-2021), Robocop305 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 01:06 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by sbaro
Non-price sensitive buyers would of course only consider the RS models, which explains the comparatively huge premiums for those models.
Not always true. I was not price sensitive when buying but seeked out a non-RS GT3 because I prefer the less "racer like" look for street use. Performance between both was the same on the street, and I don't race so that's all that mattered. I actually preferred the way the GT3 drove as it seemed a bit more civilized and less clunky with the normal flywheel. If I was strictly tracking the car, I would have gone with the RS but for backroads, the regular GT3 made more sense.

It's true that the .1 RS was more exclusive, with about twice as many non-RS variants made. That wasn't the case for the .2 though. I think production numbers of .2 RS and .2 non-RS were within 100 units.

Last edited by GlenGT3; 06-24-2021 at 01:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GlenGT3:
Flat6997 (06-24-2021), Robocop305 (06-24-2021), seis-speed (06-25-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 01:28 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
RS is RS

They're fewer of them than the NB version...exclusivity is real, wide bodies are real and that's whether one likes it or not

I had 2 NB GT3s and ALWAYS wanted an RS. I know of no one who ever had an RS and wanted a NB GT3 (even though the capabilities are very similar)
I'm smiling while I type all this,... and for sure want you to know that we are splitting hairs,... which can be fun. If we were both sitting at a bar having beers, we would be laughing at these comparisons.
So it's all in good spirit....

Ok, here's where you & I depart. We've agreed on a lot of things over the past few years,... but in light hearted spirit, I'll say this:

To your first point on Quantities & Exclusivity of the RS only:
For all of North America:
.1 & .2 RS = (411 + 541) = 952
.1 & .2 non-RS = (917 + 657) = 1,574
.................. are you reeeeeally saying that the difference between these two quantities, given how many OTHER variants are out there in the many many thousands,... justifies your claim? ... just sayin' .... in the grand scheme of things,... RS is not so much more exclusive verses regular GT3's. Only here in this sub-forum will RS lovers make such a small distinction, so large.

To your 2nd point, sure maybe there are no RS owners who would want to switch (in your mind "backwards") to a regular GT3,... but there are TONS of us non-RS owners who VERY specifically did NOT buy a RS, and for VERY good reasons. So yea, I get that you can twist that statement to your advantage,... but I could also make the claim: "There are MANY of us GT3 owners who would not switch to a RS".

Lovingly,
=Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by bweSteve:
Flat6997 (06-24-2021), Robocop305 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 01:33 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

IMHO, he's right though. RS is RS. I will always wish my GT2 was an RS model whereas I'm extremely happy that my GT3 RS is real. It is what it is, but it's real.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:44 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Ok I'll bite

It's more real to those who collect,... than it is to those who drive. and when I say drive,... I mean MANY thousands of miles per year

and Steve, I do realize your RS has high mileage,.... but didn't you buy it that way? be honest, how many miles per year are you putting on that car. Splitting miles over lots of cars is a luxury too which I also now enjoy.

and we are just two {wild & crazy} guys,... in a sea of enthusiasts,... who do whatever they want with their cars. It's why we have a "Community"!! ... so splitting hairs is all in good spirit

.... and now is not a good time for Mooty to chime in & say "RS is RS" hahahaha

Last edited by bweSteve; 06-24-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Robocop305 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 01:56 PM
mr. rpm
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I always find it comical when people absolutely refuse to pay a premium on cars, watches whatever as a matter of principle....but when it comes time to sell their used hard to get item they have no problem at all trying to squeeze the absolute last penny out of the item...they have NO problem when they want to SELL something over list price! lol When buying new MSRP means SUGGESTED retail price......the same guys that refuse to pay one penny over MSRP have no problem grinding the dealer to death trying to get the biggest discount on slower selling items.....funny how that works......they want it both ways! lol
The following 3 users liked this post by mr. rpm:
GlenGT3 (06-24-2021), GM.RS (06-24-2021), Robocop305 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 02:05 PM
mr. rpm
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

PS- I was fortunate to take delivery last week of a new G63 and have owned many of the different versions since the 1980's. Comparing a G negatively to a 911 is ridiculous.....like a screw driver and a hammer......apples to oranges.....both vehicles are fantastic for what they are designed for but that is where the comparison ends
Robocop305 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 02:19 PM
GM.RS
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. rpm
I always find it comical when people absolutely refuse to pay a premium on cars, watches whatever as a matter of principle....but when it comes time to sell their used hard to get item they have no problem at all trying to squeeze the absolute last penny out of the item...they have NO problem when they want to SELL something over list price! lol When buying new MSRP means SUGGESTED retail price......the same guys that refuse to pay one penny over MSRP have no problem grinding the dealer to death trying to get the biggest discount on slower selling items.....funny how that works......they want it both ways! lol
I also refuse to believe everyone who says they paid MSRP on a GT car did so. Yes, some do, but dealers aren't stupid when it comes to making money, and regardless of your history with them they know you want what they have, and if they tell you to pay or they'll go to the next guy, you'll pay if you really want it. It's why the used 991s have held above MSRP for so long, even before this current bull run in the prices. As a side note it baffles me Porsche does not charge more for the cars as clearly in the 1st and 2nd aftermarket sales of their product people are paying more than MSRP.

Re: G63 vs GT3, I think you are nuts myself but if you aren't driving it then by all means you are picking the right time to let it go. It just feels like you are trading something special for something generic which you'll probably trade in for something else in a few short years.

Last edited by GM.RS; 06-24-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Robocop305 (06-25-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Serpico69
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

MRRPM:
You speak the truth, trying to play hard ball and not pay MSRP but I am a realist and I admit I prob won't get an allocation for a G^# at msrp. but I am going to try.
And yes I may decouple the transaction and just sell my gt3 and get a G63.

To answer the question again, yes I know how special the 997.2 gt3 is I really do. but its just not being used and I don't see that changing so I would use my g63 as a DD and then I would at least be enjoying my car and not letting it sit and appreciate.

Thanks again for all the thoughts/comments again gents.
Eric
Old 06-24-2021, 06:34 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. rpm
welcome to Rennlist!

The original post is an example of peak delusion. Guy thinks suckers are just floating around out there so he wants $150K for his $135K-$140K car (maybe, on its best day) and MSRP on the brand new G63 (which at an absolute minimum, sells for $40K to $50K over in those colors, so probably around $225-$230K, if you can even find one for that, tax NOT included, and that's probably a 5 figure number itself). He wants to trade his GT3 and $35K to make the deal. absolute LOL.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:32 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I'm smiling while I type all this,... and for sure want you to know that we are splitting hairs,... which can be fun. If we were both sitting at a bar having beers, we would be laughing at these comparisons.
So it's all in good spirit....

Ok, here's where you & I depart. We've agreed on a lot of things over the past few years,... but in light hearted spirit, I'll say this:

To your first point on Quantities & Exclusivity of the RS only:
For all of North America:
.1 & .2 RS = (411 + 541) = 952
.1 & .2 non-RS = (917 + 657) = 1,574
.................. are you reeeeeally saying that the difference between these two quantities, given how many OTHER variants are out there in the many many thousands,... justifies your claim? ... just sayin' .... in the grand scheme of things,... RS is not so much more exclusive verses regular GT3's. Only here in this sub-forum will RS lovers make such a small distinction, so large.

To your 2nd point, sure maybe there are no RS owners who would want to switch (in your mind "backwards") to a regular GT3,... but there are TONS of us non-RS owners who VERY specifically did NOT buy a RS, and for VERY good reasons. So yea, I get that you can twist that statement to your advantage,... but I could also make the claim: "There are MANY of us GT3 owners who would not switch to a RS".

Lovingly,
=Steve

Steve you crack me up while simultaneously always speaking with a level head.

My .2 GT3 is most likely faster than a .1 RS and certainly beyond my capabilities anyway. So have said that getting an RS would not be for better performance in any way but to feel good or stroke my ego .... and that's not a bad word. Nothing wrong with feeling good. The only way I would get an RS is if I got one like Waxer. But I love .1RS in pumpkin too. But for me, the standard .2 GT3 in white suits me PERFECTLY. at my ripe old age of 63.

I wish people would not make such negative comments about him wanting a G-wagon. Kind of rough. They are popular for a reason, and it trips hs trigger just like the GT3 did at some point. People move on. The day I sold my last Ferrari was a good one. It simply no longer touched me. Party on.

RAudi Driver (06-26-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 10:32 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Life is short. If he loves the G Vagon by all means he should get it means permitting and dump the GT3. Not my cup of tea but it ain’t my money either. The GT3 will be acquired by someone who will love it. win win.

As to an RS being more “special” .. that’s a loaded question and subjective.

More special to whom and by what standard?

1. As to the “market” in general? I think the market has spoken on that. The RS demands a premium for a number of reasons including the human factor of most people just wanting what they believe most people see as “the best” or perceived alpha model. To a large degree it’s hype as performance wise there is not a breathtaking difference. Some love the RS for its in your face looks (some would say silly looks for a street car) and some for/ and because it’s, well, an RS and the pinnacle of the GT3 pool as to what PAG offered. That’s kinda me. Yeah, I’m shallow that way. Guilty.

2. Then there is “more special” on the individual level and I can definitely see more mature ( than me) individuals not caring about what PAG slotted as the pinnacle GT3, not wanting a boy racer wing, not wanting silly graphics and garish colored wheels. It’s the adult’s GT3 and you get to keep 50k+ in the bank. That’s special.

Disclaimer: Paragraph #2 does not necessarily represent the opinion of the poster, his employees or sponsors and is provided for illustrative purposes only.

Last edited by Waxer; 06-24-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Want to sell/trade my 997.2 GT3 for an AMG G63....>