Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What car after 997.2 RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021 | 09:38 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts
Default What car did you buy after the RS?

Originally Posted by Ascend
Just out of curiosity,

What car did you guys buy after .2 RS and thought it was worth an upgrade?

458 speciale? Gt2 RS? Or full on to hypercar range?

I am very happy with new to me RS but wonder which car over 300k would provide definite upgrade in experience compared to it.
It is almost two years since I bought the .2RS. I was lucky to get a 2020 Spyder allocation and got the Guard Red MT. They are like totally different cars and totally gratifying in their own different ways. Although I must say that I have looked at other cars on the computer, memories of my 991.1RS and 991.2MT GT3 kept me from moving forward. If I could find my 992.2 GT3 that I sold I would buy it back in a heart beat but then I would have to give up one of the two I have now and that I cannot do. Otherwise, i feel pretty much content driving the Spyder mostly and 7.2RS occasionally. Not much for me in any other car out there. I see the aura around CGT but I would never drive it for fear of getting into a wreck. Part of me just cannot justify the price of ownership when I have so many other things that bring meaning to my life still being in the process of being fulfilled.
Old 05-31-2021 | 10:31 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghu
It is almost two years since I bought the .2RS. I was lucky to get a 2020 Spyder allocation and got the Guard Red MT. They are like totally different cars and totally gratifying in their own different ways. Although I must say that I have looked at other cars on the computer, memories of my 991.1RS and 991.2MT GT3 kept me from moving forward. If I could find my 992.2 GT3 that I sold I would buy it back in a heart beat but then I would have to give up one of the two I have now and that I cannot do. Otherwise, i feel pretty much content driving the Spyder mostly and 7.2RS occasionally. Not much for me in any other car out there. I see the aura around CGT but I would never drive it for fear of getting into a wreck. Part of me just cannot justify the price of ownership when I have so many other things that bring meaning to my life still being in the process of being fulfilled.
thank you for your input. I actually remember you from 991 forum. Didnt you have rossa corsa gt3?
Old 06-01-2021 | 09:24 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghu
exactly same situation here. Had a 991.2 GT3 manual. Loved that car and regret selling it but now I have a 997.2RS and a 718 Spyder I’m very fulfilled with these two cars. At one time I had all three in my garage and the 991GT3 was just gathering dust for almost a year.….the other two bring me more enjoyment and I saved a lot of money lol

Last edited by neurotic; 06-01-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-01-2021 | 01:49 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

I am posting on this thread because I have never experienced the dilemma of which you speak. In 2010, I bought my GT3. Since then, I have increased the mileage from 11K to 71K miles. I look forward to the next maintenance and never let anyone else receive the enjoyment of keeping such a phenomenal work of art. I have learned that the limits are beyond my ability to safely reach, so I search within the boundaries of the car to find my own boundaries. Words cannot describe the feelings when driving, what is to me, the best driver's car in existence. A BMW 440i sits next to it at night and I have no reason to drive it for the first time, because i am satisfied.

Last edited by Fisher; 06-01-2021 at 01:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nle (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021 | 02:06 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by JS
997.1 GT3 RS
I like that answer. As I really really like mine and was wondering about the .2
Old 06-01-2021 | 03:09 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 204 Posts

Owned my 997-2 RS for over 5 years. Longest I've ever held on to a car and don't see myself parting with it. They will never build a car like it again. The 991s were not impressive to me.

I even had a chance to go back to back with this a month ago:

Did not walk away impressed. It didn't feel significantly more powerful than the 997 and the PDK seemed sluggish. Yes, I tried all the modes in the Porsche version of the Manettino. The front end is conspicuously improved. Is that better? Maybe. For those who seek perfection. But I like how the 997 dances and baits you. The 992 felt too cushy overall. All the electronics, buttons, and large screens inside were distracting, too.

Meanwhile I've owned this for half a year...

It is a different hair-on-fire experience to the RS 3.8. An absolute ANIMAL when you push it, a violent side the 997 can't match. Shifts are so brutal and savage, I frankly didn't expect a DCT to add to the drama, but it has become one of my favorite parts of the car. Along with the sound. Driving it quick in the canyons is exhilarating. And yet, when you put it in Auto it turns docile and friendly. I figured out how to turn on the radio once and could even listen to an audiobook... I've done a fair bit of wrenching on it too, it is quite easy to work on, I was surprised. Just wish they used more torx and less hex. The problems I've fixed have all been due to German- or American-made parts in the car, so far I can't fault the Italians for anything but a couple of sticky buttons... The 458 chassis can handle double the ponies it was initially designed for. They've used it for over a decade now and even the SF90 is based on it... It is quickly becoming the next best thing to the air-cooled tub

I considered a Scud, it is 100% raw 100% of the time. And I already have one 100% raw car in the 997. Also don't like the way the F430 looks. The Speciale is out of my price range and I've heard from those who've actually owned them that the sound is invariably deafening. I'm not 25 anymore, stuff like that would bother me. If I could afford it.
The following 2 users liked this post by ilko:
Finlander (06-01-2021), mclaudio (06-06-2021)
Old 06-01-2021 | 04:30 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Owned my 997-2 RS for over 5 years. Longest I've ever held on to a car and don't see myself parting with it. They will never build a car like it again. The 991s were not impressive to me.

I even had a chance to go back to back with this a month ago:

Did not walk away impressed. It didn't feel significantly more powerful than the 997 and the PDK seemed sluggish. Yes, I tried all the modes in the Porsche version of the Manettino. The front end is conspicuously improved. Is that better? Maybe. For those who seek perfection. But I like how the 997 dances and baits you. The 992 felt too cushy overall. All the electronics, buttons, and large screens inside were distracting, too.

Meanwhile I've owned this for half a year...

It is a different hair-on-fire experience to the RS 3.8. An absolute ANIMAL when you push it, a violent side the 997 can't match. Shifts are so brutal and savage, I frankly didn't expect a DCT to add to the drama, but it has become one of my favorite parts of the car. Along with the sound. Driving it quick in the canyons is exhilarating. And yet, when you put it in Auto it turns docile and friendly. I figured out how to turn on the radio once and could even listen to an audiobook... I've done a fair bit of wrenching on it too, it is quite easy to work on, I was surprised. Just wish they used more torx and less hex. The problems I've fixed have all been due to German- or American-made parts in the car, so far I can't fault the Italians for anything but a couple of sticky buttons... The 458 chassis can handle double the ponies it was initially designed for. They've used it for over a decade now and even the SF90 is based on it... It is quickly becoming the next best thing to the air-cooled tub

I considered a Scud, it is 100% raw 100% of the time. And I already have one 100% raw car in the 997. Also don't like the way the F430 looks. The Speciale is out of my price range and I've heard from those who've actually owned them that the sound is invariably deafening. I'm not 25 anymore, stuff like that would bother me. If I could afford it.

i agree about 992. It looks ugly and i dont understand why people wait in line for it. Many people praise scuderia... but its design is not my cup of tea. And its middle child... not as raw and old school as 360cs nor as sexy as 458sp. Just imo.
Old 06-01-2021 | 08:54 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 550 Posts

Ilko, I echo your comments with my ferrari flame suit on: I’ll take an Italia or especially Spider over a Speciale . The italia sounds the best, followed by spider and idk what happened to the note when the moved the pipes for the Speciale but it is not good and kinda the dirty little secret of the Speciale halo. It’s either dead quiet or a not-at-all-pleasing droning/booming sound. The Italia smoked it on exhaust note especially in the cabin. And I’ll take the marginal utility/comfort of an Italia or especially Spider over the minor uptick in performance of the Speciale. Speciale vs “Base” ain’t like the spread in performance over a gt3 vs Carrera.

as an all-around car and as diversification to a 997rs, I agree the 458 is a better fit (especially open top option of spider). As a raw/visceral competitor to a 997rs, Scud is a better “substitute” like-car imo; a “what next” car if looking for a similar but different 997 era car. But 458 one of the best all-around fun cars ever built.
The following users liked this post:
mclaudio (06-06-2021)
Old 06-01-2021 | 09:34 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

I like the Performante’ over the comparable F cars. More visceral and raw.
Old 06-03-2021 | 04:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,894 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
i agree about 992. It looks ugly and i dont understand why people wait in line for it. Many people praise scuderia... but its design is not my cup of tea. And its middle child... not as raw and old school as 360cs nor as sexy as 458sp. Just imo.
just bc a girl is ugly don't mean you don't **** her.....
but I did have my retina blew up.... so I don't see well....
if one doesn't own a 992 he will never know how ugly and/ or how good bad it is.
just watch me sell my after 3 days.. but THEN I can tell you why she's fugly and failed in bad...

ferrari...
everyone is different.
60's lusso yes
250 GTO yes
275 GTB yes
F40/50
288GTO

stradale
...... then a good freind who shall remain nameless left me his new speciale and told me to drive it, after 30 miles, I parked it and told him pls vacate it from my cave and bring me his CGT. totally waste of my time...
did nothign for me.
20 miles of that 30 miles me texting spyerX and the owner how he made a mistake
that is just me
Old 06-03-2021 | 12:05 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

My buys after I sold my .2RS. Went back to the best.

The following 3 users liked this post by dave292:
EMpunker (06-04-2021), Finlander (06-03-2021), LionelB (06-04-2021)
Old 06-03-2021 | 01:13 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

One of the most enjoyable and engaging cars I have owned and driven and I’ve driven many.

Need not be high six figures or seven figures to be a great drivers car and great enjoyment. In the top ten in my book. I think Pete Stout agrees.

Old 06-03-2021 | 01:26 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
One of the most enjoyable and engaging cars I have owned and driven and I’ve driven many.

Need not be high six figures or seven figures to be a great drivers car and great enjoyment. In the top ten in my book. I think Pete Stout agrees.

Manual or PDK?
Old 06-03-2021 | 01:29 PM
Ginnmillracing
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Lots of Spyder fans. I see the appeal and I like the way they look. Never driven one however.

Is the experience that much removed from GT3 / GT3 RS? On the street...Sunday drive, not on track, of course. And sure, mid-engine, vert etc. But the dash/interior finishes are so similar and that Porsche feel, I'd think if you wanted something different you'd have to look elsewhere?
Old 06-03-2021 | 02:08 PM
Breakthru
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 131 Posts

I was going to say 997.1 RS but it looks like others have beat me to it!

Quick Reply: What car after 997.2 RS