Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 RS a Modern Classic ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 12:21 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

The process of thinking about which children you sell first; that is HARD. but once a couple sell and you realize you are still breathing after, it gets easier.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:05 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
The process of thinking about which children you sell first; that is HARD. but once a couple sell and you realize you are still breathing after, it gets easier.

So true in all you said.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:21 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Sell me your RS and I'll help you with your problem.
That’s my baby. Never. I’d rather give up Oreos for life than part with that car....
Old 03-25-2021, 11:43 AM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

First off, yes, modern classic... and cuz I don't have an RS, I would suggest that "reg" 997GT3 cars may be modern classics too. To the other topic... is having several sportscars NOK? when you look in the mirror and utter those words, you should feel proud of yourself for the dilemma you're contemplating. You've made it. That said, I really do kinda miss my old '00 986S. I regret not buying it back from my brother-in-law when he sold it. It was such a great street car. It had a casual-ness that my 997GT3 kinda lacks. While the GT3 is a hoot and special, it's a bit 'serious' and intense too.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:46 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

^^^you articulated something that my “butt meter” can feel but have never been able to communicate. When I first got into the car hobby, INTENSITY was the only measure I cared about. I had very little appreciation for something still being engaging and fluid at a “casual pace” (as you referenced). The “holy grail” cars I strive to find today are cars that can do both well: light your hair on fire with INTENSITY if pushed hard but still be engaging and fluid when driven at a casual pace. And if anything, for street cars, I now err on the side of engaging at casual pace. Some cars feel like they want to be driven hard or they are clumsy/clunky. Some get sloppy/ooc if pushed too hard. The ones that can play up-n-down the spectrum are what impress me the most today. My old solution was to just own a dozen cars; each one can be good at a very narrow niche . Now I’m obsessed with finding 1-2 that check most of the boxes.

The 997rs is an amazing all around toy. The one characteristic that eventually caused me to let mine go was that the zone where the car really came alive, where the gearbox/suspension-loading/rpm’s/steering-feel/etc all got fluid and zen-like: it was at a pace I increasingly needed to be on a circuit. That “fun zone” in a 997 is still way more accessible on street than any of the newer stuff. But it still got to a point with me where I was always looking in my rear view mirror and over every hill, worried about blue lights or a stray pedestrian/cyclist. On track, man they are guiltless fun! I will miss them there way more than on street. On track I’ve gravitated to something I can put into a wall and have a good chance of walking away from with my head and wallet still in tact.

These are crazy layers of nuance only accessed with way too much time on hands, way too many miles and way too obsessive personality!
Old 03-26-2021, 01:07 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

^^^you articulated something that my “butt meter” can feel but have never been able to communicate. When I first got into the car hobby, INTENSITY was the only measure I cared about. I had very little appreciation for something still being engaging and fluid at a “casual pace” (as you referenced). The “holy grail” cars I strive to find today are cars that can do both well: light your hair on fire with INTENSITY if pushed hard but still be engaging and fluid when driven at a casual pace. And if anything, for street cars, I now err on the side of engaging at casual pace. Some cars feel like they want to be driven hard or they are clumsy/clunky. Some get sloppy/ooc if pushed too hard. The ones that can play up-n-down the spectrum are what impress me the most today. My old solution was to just own a dozen cars; each one can be good at a very narrow niche . Now I’m obsessed with finding 1-2 that check most of the boxes.

The 997rs is an amazing all around toy. The one characteristic that eventually caused me to let mine go was that the zone where the car really came alive, where the gearbox/suspension-loading/rpm’s/steering-feel/etc all got fluid and zen-like: it was at a pace I increasingly needed to be on a circuit. That “fun zone” in a 997 is still way more accessible on street than any of the newer stuff. But it still got to a point with me where I was always looking in my rear view mirror and over every hill, worried about blue lights or a stray pedestrian/cyclist. On track, man they are guiltless fun! I will miss them there way more than on street. On track I’ve gravitated to something I can put into a wall and have a good chance of walking away from with my head and wallet still in tact.

These are crazy layers of nuance only accessed with way too much time on hands, way too many miles and way too obsessive personality!
Again, right on the $
Old 03-26-2021, 06:18 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Waxer, you inspired me to keep my eye out for a 7-spyder this year: white, heated sofas, manual, reasonably good condition, I think I’d bite
Old 03-26-2021, 06:22 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Waxer, you inspired me to keep my eye out for a 7-spyder this year: white, heated sofas, manual, reasonably good condition, I think I’d bite
What have you unloaded recently and what are you on the hunt for?
Old 03-26-2021, 06:43 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

You know how I feel about this platform :+1:
Old 03-26-2021, 10:42 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Jr: I can tell you honestly it is one of the most enjoyable cars I have owned over the last 40 years and I’ve owned a lot by many standards.

It started when my wife and I saw one parked at a cruise night about 5 years ago. It was silver. She instantly fell in love with it. I was taken also.

When I started reading and learning about them I learned it was a car to own for many reasons. I also didn’t see the bikini top as a negative as some do but actually part of its charm and uniqueness. Those that see the top as a negative I believe don’t fully understand or appreciate the ethos of the car. They don’t fully “get it” imho.

I searched for a while to find a nice one with reasonably low miles. I wanted 3 pedals (a must for me) and also carbon buckets. Spyders are hard to find. Not unlike the 7 RS. After looking for a while finally found one right in my own backyard as luck would have it in Morristown NJ.

It was perfect except for lack of carbon buckets. However, after sliding easily into and out the leather sport seats after you have the experience of parachuting into carbon buckets and using rope and grappling hooks to get out of carbons in an RS the leather sport seats are a pleasure and very comfortable and hold you in very well for any spirited driving on the street. Plenty sufficient. I wouldn’t change them at this point. They’re great. My RSs have the carbon buckets. That’s enough thank you.

It’s a special car and it transcends being a “Boxster”. The market for them bears this out. Sort of like an Escalade transcends being a Yukon or better yet it’s like an RS transcends being just a 911.

Here it is at High Marques In Morristown ready for me to take home.

Last edited by Waxer; 03-26-2021 at 10:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pissedpuppy (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 12:51 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JS
What have you unloaded recently and what are you on the hunt for?
I’ve sold everything but CGT and 69 911e. And, the 69 is all but sold. CGT is staying for the time being. To accompany it, I am contemplating: 981/718cs, spec bxtr, 70/71s, 901 hot rods, 987 spyder, 356 speedster and 718 gts 4.0. So, ALL OVER the board.

over last 24mos, I have sold 997.1rs, 7-4.0, 964rs, 981 spyder, 991.2 gt3 clubsport, 991.2 3rs, Speciale, Scud, 360cs; several of those I assumed were semi-perma holds.

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 03-27-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:49 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

I’ve sold everything but CGT and 69 911e. And, the 69 is all but sold. CGT is staying for the time being. To accompany it, I am contemplating: 981/718cs, spec bxtr, 70/71s, 901 hot rods, 987 spyder, 356 speedster and 718 gts 4.0. So, ALL OVER the board.

over last 24mos, I have sold 997.1rs, 7-4.0, 964rs, 981 spyder, 991.2 gt3 clubsport, 991.2 3rs, Speciale, Scud, 360cs; several of those I assumed were semi-perma holds.
A smorgasbord of top end cars. Kudos to you you.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:37 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

^^^to be clear, I am considering picking 1 from that list to add; NOT the entire smorgasbord; NEVER AGAIN!!

BACK OT: 997rs rocks
Old 03-27-2021, 05:56 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

@Waxer that Spyder is beautiful in black and I too, love the bimini top!

BTW, Morristown is a great little city - wen there w/wifey *she had to work) and I was able to meet up w/a buddy from SF (who moved back to NJ) and his cousin - had a BLAST!

My RS is headed to Esoteric next month for paint correction/polish, new PPF and coating, can't wait, they look like they do amazing work and I expect it to look as new

Last edited by pissedpuppy; 03-27-2021 at 05:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Esoteric_Detail (03-29-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 08:05 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

WOW, you liquidated the fleet.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 RS a Modern Classic ?