Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

All rural folks, where do you drive your car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021 | 10:46 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Default All rural folks, where do you drive your car?

As a small business owner in rural area,

there really isnt a place to drive car other than long stretch of highway.

Also I think I would get self conscious driving a nice car in front of my clients or employees.

Luckily, I live 2 hours away from Chicago and it has some collector car storage at a price of $250/month. Would it be a wise idea to store car there and drive whenever Im there for the weekend? Or is it just a dumb dumb idea to even think of storing a car anywhere but in my garage?

Any thoughts?
Old 03-15-2021 | 11:12 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by Ascend
As a small business owner in rural area,

there really isnt a place to drive car other than long stretch of highway.

Also I think I would get self conscious driving a nice car in front of my clients or employees.

Luckily, I live 2 hours away from Chicago and it has some collector car storage at a price of $250/month. Would it be a wise idea to store car there and drive whenever Im there for the weekend? Or is it just a dumb dumb idea to even think of storing a car anywhere but in my garage?

Any thoughts?
When I stored my cars at my warehouse it was kind of a pain and I didn't use them as much. And they were 8 minutes from me. And where would you drive in Chicago?
Old 03-15-2021 | 11:40 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
When I stored my cars at my warehouse it was kind of a pain and I didn't use them as much. And they were 8 minutes from me. And where would you drive in Chicago?
Yeah i expect it to be somewhat of a pain. I went to chicago few times and that highway along the lake was beautiful.
Old 03-16-2021 | 02:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

my warehouse. (it's actually a nice man cave/office) is 7 miles away 30 min.
I rotate cars back to home if I want to drive that car.
I live 10 min from the best roads in Bay Area.
wow storage in Chicago is cheap.
I charge "friends" $800/ car / month and paid 1 year in advance.
If they were friends, no amount of money will I allow them to park in the cave.

what rural area are you at, like dirt road?
rural is the best place usually to drive, no?
Old 03-16-2021 | 09:46 AM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Outside Lake Shore Drive you mentioned roads are flat straight and boring until you’re well outside of city. Traffic would also be a major headache.
Old 03-16-2021 | 10:33 AM
jonwb
Pro

Originally Posted by TheSilverFox
Outside Lake Shore Drive you mentioned roads are flat straight and boring until you’re well outside of city. Traffic would also be a major headache.
This is true... I live in the Milwaukee area, and same thing. It can be surprisingly difficult to find 'fun' roads, and many that would be fun are in terrible condition (cracks / potholes / etc.). I envy you guys in Cali. Well, except for those taxes...
Old 03-16-2021 | 01:01 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Its rural with straight road or highway... pretty boring
Old 03-16-2021 | 01:08 PM
wannabe_stig
Advanced

This is why guys in the midwest build up turbo(s)/GTRs, etc to 1000+HP just to feel the slightest modicum of sensation lol. cops, traffic, potholes. chicago isn't fun for cars

have you tried galena? lots of rolling hills/winding roads and just a few hours west of chicago
Old 03-16-2021 | 01:28 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

HWY 500, "The Million Dollar Highway" is my rural road. Attached is a picture of one of my 356's. The sign says it all!

The following users liked this post:
EMpunker (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021 | 01:34 PM
jonwb
Pro

Originally Posted by dave292
HWY 500, "The Million Dollar Highway" is my rural road. Attached is a picture of one of my 356's. The sign says it all!
We have roads like that in the fall. They're just mostly straight
Old 03-16-2021 | 01:50 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

I think it is fine to keep your car at a car storage facility depending on which one you choose. I am currently keeping my 997 RS and my GT4 at a car storage place as I am selling my Bay Area house and need the garage to put my a lot of my belongings in.

My two cars have been at the car storage place for the past couple of months and I have been very happy with their service. They have taken great care of my cars and they don’t require a ton of notice in order to go over and drive them. Just give them an hours notice and they will have my car out front ready to drive.

My rural road is most often Highway 1 down towards Big Sur. Can’t go too far on it nowadays as part of Highway 1 is closed due to landslides. Love the drive, but more often than not the road is clogged with tourists who drive below the speed limit and don’t let anyone past no matter what. Haven’t had the 997 RS on it yet, but hopefully soon.

nle (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021 | 02:31 PM
nine45s
Rennlist Member

Rural is it, no way I would live near a big city again.
Live close to the Smokeys, the Dragon, The Moonshiner, Cherohala Skyway, and many more less famous roads all in my backyard.
ngamountains (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021 | 02:51 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Chicago (downtown) is a great place to enjoy without a car. Once you start driving it's like any another big city experience with construction, traffic and frustration. I don't see the benefit of garaging a car in the city to use in the city. When I lived there I stored my cars and bikes so I could escape the city. Even then that was a hassle, as perfect days in Chicago can be hard to come by and when they do it's more fun enjoying the music events, ball games, block parties, etc.

Not sure exactly where you live two hours out, but there are places to be explored where cars can be enjoyed (not in the city). It will never be CO, AZ, CA, etc. but there are options.
Old 03-16-2021 | 04:31 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a move is in order. Priorities man, priorities.

We just moved from the SF Bay area and I gave the wife certain requirements.
Active PCA, Local Track, Coastal Mountain roads.

No I have a track 15 minutes fro the house (two more within a few hours), Twists through the hills 10 minutes away and the coast is an hour away with great road options to get there.

Old 03-16-2021 | 04:52 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

I only store my car away from my house during winter currently. However, anywhere within around 30 mins I'd be fine with. 2 hours sounds like it'd be a full day just to take out the car, 2 hours there, 2 hours back and 2-4 hours of driving. Not sure I'd want to deal with that.

I live in a part of Ohio where I am 20 mins from pretty much everything, including really nice backroads, where I typically drive. I just don't like being surrounded by as many people when going out for a leisurely drive. I'd much rather be in the middle of nowhere driving rather than anywhere near a big city like Chicago, so I'd store it at your house.

Quick Reply: All rural folks, where do you drive your car?