Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Best insurance carrier for agreed upon value

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 09:16 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
Grundy has a Modern Classic policy. I have my 2007 GT3 on it. Had my 2002 Z06 on the Modern Classic policy years ago. Still better than Hagerty or standard policies. But, yes, Grundy's "Historic" or "Classic" policies are super reasonable.
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if this was an issue with my agent.. I gotta call them directly and see what they say.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:06 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 539 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
*Disclaimer: I am not associated with PAI whatsoever. Just passing on info to the community about my experience.*

I just switched to Porsche Auto Insurance. I spoke with Scott Johnson (ext 320) and he was very helpful. PAI is basically a DBA for Mile Premier Insurance. It is a mileage-based policy and they are the designated insurance company/partner of Porsche and license their name. They were selected by Porsche NA out of over 30 companies vying for the business. The company is headquartered in Atlanta. Currently in 4 states but will be rolling out in the rest of the country over the next couple years. Some helpful feedback about their coverage:
  • There are no restrictions on where/when I can drive my car. It's mileage based so my premium is based on estimated miles driven every 6 months. My rate happens to be approx 7 cents/mile (YMMV). I have to provide a photo of the odometer for each premium renewal period and they will true me up based on actual miles driven every time I renew. If I go over the estimate, they will charge 7 cents/mile over the estimated miles driven. If I go under, they credit me the same rate for the next premium period. You can renew monthly or every 6 months.
  • Glass coverage is included and they will either try to repair or replace. If a replacement is needed, they will pay for OEM Porsche glass.
  • Agreed value works as expected and they will reimburse you full agreed value, minus deductible in case of a total loss.
  • I can use any valid repair shop for repairs. They will also recommend a Porsche-certified shop in your area.
  • They will cover OEM Porsche parts. If you have mods, they will cover up to $4000 in after-market parts, but you should probably do more research on this. They did not ask me which mods I have installed. It seems they are pretty flexible about mods.

Overall, it was a good buying experience and I end up saving several hundred dollars per year compared to Hagerty. My 6-month premium is $325 for 2,500 miles, max liability coverage, $110K agreed value, plus some other basic coverage. For reference, I am 55, no accident history, and my GT3 is not my primary vehicle. I recommend checking them out if you are shopping for insurance.
This is interesting. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:34 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 316 Likes on 179 Posts

Any other suggestions guys?
Old 03-24-2021, 08:25 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Overall, it was a good buying experience and I end up saving several hundred dollars per year compared to Hagerty. My 6-month premium is $325 for 2,500 miles, max liability coverage, $110K agreed value, plus some other basic coverage. For reference, I am 55, no accident history, and my GT3 is not my primary vehicle. I recommend checking them out if you are shopping for insurance.
Do you happen to know the states they're in at the moment?
Old 03-24-2021, 09:27 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,154 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Do you happen to know the states they're in at the moment?
Oregon, Illinois and Georgia.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:58 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

I have to say that I was totally unable to get a competitive quote from Grundy recently. Much better deal with conventional insurance from Allstate, who guaranteed coverage to 100% of "Actual Cash Value".

The Grundy agent emailed me back:
"We have more coverage on your autos then you probably have with
Allstate. Especially the Porsche, we provide agreed value coverage,
all state offers actual cash value. So if something happens to it
you will get market value."

I replied:
"In this case (2008 Porsche GT2), ACV = market value, no? How could it not? Can you help me understand?"

His response:
"Correct ACV= market value"

EDIT: So why is everyone so focused on agreed value for our (stock or stock-ish) GT cars, if we get the same limits with conventional insurance?

Last edited by mchrono; 03-28-2021 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:57 PM
Hansel
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I have $95k stated value through Safeco. No mileage limits. ~1k/yr
Old 04-01-2021, 10:57 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Actual Cash Value is standard coverage for typical insurers. If the vehicle is totaled they decide what the current market value is for an average condition example (yes, depreciation). The vehicle owner has little to no room to negotiate on that settlement value.

Agreed Value:

"You and Leland West will agree on the vehicle value when you sign up - before the policy is issued and any money changes hands. Once a policy is in place, in the event of theft or a total loss, we will pay the Agreed Value. No wiggle room." from Leland-West's website

Leland-West has Agreed Value, options on mileage programs , coverage, and premium seems reasonable especially with discount for Porsche Club of America members.

Last edited by enthusiast; 04-01-2021 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:48 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Does agreed value only kick in when the car is totalled? What about fender bender? Does insurance cover for loss in value?

I went with grundy fyi.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:07 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

So back to the point that AV=ACV for our cars. Lets say one of us totaled our 997 GT car. How would the conventional ACV insurer support a lower replacement value than the current market for the car? Current values are well documented via the auctions and other online tools. If an ACV insurer tried to take the position of original MSRP less 12 years of depreciation, then its off to arbitration for sure, as there is no way anyone can “replace” the car for a value based on that. Am I missing something here?
Old 04-02-2021, 12:10 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 419 Posts

With ACV, you are at the whim of the insurer and what their claims department believes is "market value", which can be derived from many sources, including NADA, Edmunds, etc. My experience and others has been that their assessment is typically lower than what the insured expects. The onus is then on you to provide data to support what you believe is fair market value. It is a PITA.

With AV, you establish the number up front and if your car is totalled, you get paid. Done deal. Much less of a headache. With our cars, it is much better to go AV.

Originally Posted by mchrono
So back to the point that AV=ACV for our cars. Lets say one of us totaled our 997 GT car. How would the conventional ACV insurer support a lower replacement value than the current market for the car? Current values are well documented via the auctions and other online tools. If an ACV insurer tried to take the position of original MSRP less 12 years of depreciation, then its off to arbitration for sure, as there is no way anyone can “replace” the car for a value based on that. Am I missing something here?
Old 04-02-2021, 12:40 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Agreed Value is used in the case of a 'total loss' or 'theft' (not recovered) and probably comes into play if the vehicle has significant damage repair costs (deciding if it is economically repairable based on its value).

Loss of value due to a 'fender bender' could come into play with an Agreed Value policy. I don't know if they would give you any cash to compensate for the decreased value of the car. In addition, the insurance company probably won't agree with the pre-wreck Agreed Value when it is time to renew the policy.

An owners opinion of AV dollar amount might equal ACV but they won't know the answer until a total loss or theft occurs. The insurance company is going to use their database to determine actual cash value and I don't how much if any the MSRP minus x years of depreciation comes into play. Most insurers, if not all, are not going to give you money for modifications or extra items you installed in the car.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:46 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

I wouldnt take chance with ACV
Old 05-25-2021, 01:05 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Update for this thread...

Clearly the markets are going crazy, prices are through the roof, and yet valuations ARE NOT KEEING PACE.

I not only just paid for, and obtained a recent APPRAISEL on my 2010 GT3,... but also went to Hagerty directly to see what they are doing ... and whether they could beat my current policy.

Result? ... NADA, "Sports Car Market inc", Hagerty,.... ALL of them are sooo badly behind the last 3-4 months,... that it is NOT worth it to get an appraisal & attempt to bump our Agreed Value policies. At least not from my own personal attempts.

Hagerty currently has a #1 with less than 20k miles, valued at $110k,... AND, here's the kicker,... "with flat, slightly downward trend" in prices in the coming year. WTF!!!

... anyway, I thought I would report out here, and get this discussion kicked back in gear. Sucks that I jumped too early & paid for an appraisal that is essentially useless to me. AND more importantly that our policies are not up to snuff to cover our cars if something were to happen. We could not replace them for the agreed value we would receive. yet another kick in the a$$ that is forcing people to leave the cars in the garage until all this crap boils over (if it ever does).

ugh.
Old 05-25-2021, 01:17 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Update for this thread...

Clearly the markets are going crazy, prices are through the roof, and yet valuations ARE NOT KEEING PACE.

I not only just paid for, and obtained a recent APPRAISEL on my 2010 GT3,... but also went to Hagerty directly to see what they are doing ... and whether they could beat my current policy.

Result? ... NADA, "Sports Car Market inc", Hagerty,.... ALL of them are sooo badly behind the last 3-4 months,... that it is NOT worth it to get an appraisal & attempt to bump our Agreed Value policies. At least not from my own personal attempts.

Hagerty currently has a #1 with less than 20k miles, valued at $110k,... AND, here's the kicker,... "with flat, slightly downward trend" in prices in the coming year. WTF!!!

... anyway, I thought I would report out here, and get this discussion kicked back in gear. Sucks that I jumped too early & paid for an appraisal that is essentially useless to me. AND more importantly that our policies are not up to snuff to cover our cars if something were to happen. We could not replace them for the agreed value we would receive. yet another kick in the a$$ that is forcing people to leave the cars in the garage until all this crap boils over (if it ever does).

ugh.
Are their premiums on the downward trend? 🙄

Quick Reply: Best insurance carrier for agreed upon value