.2 Center Cap "Hack"

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 12:02 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I did chuckle ^^^

the build date on my 2010 was July 2009,... so a fairly early car for the .2 ... so yea, maybe my caps were "from AP's leftover parts bin" Lol
There are worse bins ...

Pop one off tomorrow and see if it has any tabs on back. Curious now.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:03 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
The darker color combo and cleaner look was the exact reasoning. Interesting re: your 2010 with the lighter GT3 caps. I've since done some more informed searching, and have not found a "proper" .2 part number for GT3 script caps. Have you popped yours off to see what the internal fastening situation is?
Correct re: RS caps. I have only ever seen those in black, but haven't looked extensively, so can't really answer your question with any confidence.
I've had my rims off/on/off/on many times. And so yes I've looked at the backside of my caps,... but I've never really had anything different to compare against (so I've not logged it in my memory banks on what the backside tabs look like)

I guess I could pull one off tomorrow, if we want to start posting pics of the mods to 991 caps, and various generational designs for these caps.... (I've never seen a thread that discuss this topic before,... so enjoying this one)

EDIT: We were posting within seconds of each other above ^^^ ... so yea, I'll take a couple pics tomorrow. I'm in the middle of a new 2-post lift install in my garage, so I've been spending a lot of time in there these days. Helps pass the winter siestas ....

Last edited by bweSteve; 02-22-2021 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:56 AM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Older caps with two holes for removal were 997.1. Not center lock and no concerns over road grime on the center lock splines.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:16 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

The caps on CLs are sealed by those very expensive high temperature O-rings. You don't want holes, not sure why you have them-and I smeared a light coat of optimol on the O-rings-
Old 02-22-2021, 01:10 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

interesting.
... mine does not have two holes on the front face. only one. (Surlyn, I have older caps too for other old 911's, that have the two holes,... but not on my 997.2 GT3)

It is strange that this is the type that has the o-ring to seal,.. yet has a single hole in center. Yea, I think you guys are right. It looks to me like someone did not know how to get them off, and drilled a hole thru the center. I'll now have to go pull all four of them off & inspect more closely, but it does look like there is drill fragment debris on the backside from the drill bit.

So glad for this thread!!

Last edited by bweSteve; 02-22-2021 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Surlyn, not Surly ... he's a good guy. really.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:14 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

interesting.
... mine does not have two holes on the front face. only one. (Surly, I have older caps too for other old 911's, that have the two holes,... but not on my 997.2 GT3)

It is strange that this is the type that has the o-ring to seal,.. yet has a single hole dead center. Again, my car is a very early 997.2 build date...

Man, that almost looks like it was drilled in there by someone . . . Does it look machined on the outside, or rough ?
Old 02-22-2021, 01:29 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

yep. drilled. and a poor job to say the least. The drilled holes are not even centered ...

Last edited by bweSteve; 02-22-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:35 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

yep. drilled. and a hack job at best. the drilled holes are not even centered ...
Ooof. Gotta sell the car. ASAP.
The following users liked this post:
jonwb (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 02:11 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

😂😂😂 “gotta sell the car”
Well, BBQ my ribs, this is getting crazy. Steve, maybe buy the caps surlynkid has for sale-
The back of mine says 997.361.307.03 and they’re not exactly easy to find. There doesn’t seem to be any OEM black ones, no wonder there was a guy asking me about them at a car meeting 😂
I bought my car CPO with around 2000 miles and it looks like the first owner might have customized it and painted them black 🤔
But wait, there’s more! I took a cap off to read the part number and it came unglued 😅
That’s crazy, the face is aluminum, glued to the plastic body. After 10 years the glue is failing, so good thing I took it off! I just had them off to replace tires and never would have noticed anything. My luck is it fell apart in my hand and not while driving!
It would have been costly😡
So I’ll be cleaning them up and reglueing all 4 just in case. I’ll opt for some fast drying cement of some sort, super glue gel turns rock hard and I don’t think it’s a good choice. I’ll look into Gorilla glue, it did a job on that poor lady’s hair who had to get it surgically removed! 🤯
Any glue suggestions appreciated, I might look at a marine store

Last edited by JB911; 02-22-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:17 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB911
😂😂😂 “gotta sell the car”
Well, BBQ my ribs, this is getting crazy. Steve, maybe buy the caps surlynkid has for sale-
The back of mine says 997.361.307.03 and they’re not exactly easy to find. There doesn’t seem to be any OEM black ones, no wonder there was a guy asking me about them at a car meeting 😂
I bought my car CPO with around 2000 miles and it looks like the first owner might have customized it and painted them black 🤔
But wait, there’s more! I took a cap off to read the part number and it came unglued 😅
That’s crazy, the face is aluminum, glued to the plastic body. After 10 years the glue is failing, so good thing I took it off! I just had them off to replace tires and never would have noticed anything. My luck is it fell apart in my hand and not while driving!
It would have been costly😡
So I’ll be cleaning them up and reglueing all 4 just in case. I’ll opt for some fast drying cement of some sort, super glue gel turns rock hard and I don’t think it’s a good choice. I’ll look into Gorilla glue, it did a job on that poor lady’s hair who had to get it surgically removed! 🤯
Any glue suggestions appreciated, I might look at a marine store
Oh, man. You have to get out of the P world altogether now. Sorry for your loss.

You can get them in black, though - see my original post. Buy the 991s and cut tabs.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:20 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

@JB911 - I will get a picture off the back of mine tonight.

Being that they may be two piece design, I wonder if the back part is the number printed inside yours and whatever trim piece they put on the front dictates what the actual part number is. Since they had them on Turbo, Turbo S, GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS, there were probably a bunch of front options.

Last edited by surlynkid; 02-22-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:47 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

991 caps seem to be listed as charcoal, mine are gloss black-
Steve, do check your CL pins for water infiltration/light corrosion since those holes don't belong there.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:04 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

So I scraped the old glue from the aluminum caps-it was more like wax than glue
Cleaned up with denatured alcohol and glued with this 3M emblem glue.
I left them in the hot sun for an hr then reinstalled

Old 02-22-2021, 06:31 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

hahaha,... you guys crack me up. this is a great thread. for sure my car is now worthless. it was only ever as good as the center caps anyway.
.... but now I get to put on MORE miles guilt free!! ... seems every time I find even the slightest thing wrong with the car, or something I don't like, my percentage of "guilt-free" miles goes up. yea, that's it!!
........... I may go put a scratch on the underside of the car just so I can drive it more

Oh & yea, JB911, I just had my rims off last month re-moly-lubbing the CL hubs. Everything looked fine to me. I was trained by Porsche technicians at my local dealership. They like me (we do a lot of PCA event stuff with them, and always invite them to our drinking parties. Even the General Mgr comes to our after holidays party).... anyway, when my wife & I first bought the car, they loved the Aqua Blue & had not seen many 997 GT3's in that color, esp w/ pccb's, seat-backs-paint-to-match, blah blah blah,... so they did a "Tech Session" and asked to have our car there as a demo car. I brought the car there a day early & the techs spent many hours with me taking stuff off the car. Fun!!! anyway,.. I digress.

but yea, looks like I need a new set of caps. just called my parts dept mgr & he said $49.50 each & they have them in the warehouse. 3 days. they never charge me shipping on anything either,... and I've bought some expensive large stuff for our 964 Turbo over the past few decades, that needed to come from Stuttgart. so I've saved a LOT in shipping over the years.

add this to my list of stuff I need to buy this winter/spring. Batteries AND tires for both the Cayenne Turbo and the 964 T are gonna set me back a bit too. fun fun.

Oh & JB911, that 3M Trim adhesive is good stuff. nice choice. should hold.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:38 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Why not just by the caps from surlynkid I think he said they're new

Quick Reply: .2 Center Cap "Hack"