Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Reviews for 997.1 997.2 GT3/RS GT2/RS - Inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 10:43 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

subscribed. Thanks FLT6SPD

I forgot this thread was up at the top in the Sticky threads,... and it's also weird that when I did a "search this subforum" .... the sticky did not appear in my results list. strange (I sometimes don't have good success with RL searches).
Old 01-12-2022, 07:04 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by point2point
That’s my 997.2 GT3 4.2 in the video. I got to drive the GT2. It was a fun day.
Spectacular car. Well done. Nothing beats the joy of winding a NA all the way to redline.

I'm curious though, are there no police in the canyons? You guys seem to be able to drive with no license-losing anxiety. I didn't even see a radar detector anywhere.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:38 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by point2point
That’s my 997.2 GT3 4.2 in the video. I got to drive the GT2. It was a fun day.
I was going to let them borrow mine but then found out it was a long day that I could not do. How long did it take AND was there any worry about damage?
Old 01-12-2022, 03:47 PM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Spectacular car. Well done. Nothing beats the joy of winding a NA all the way to redline.

I'm curious though, are there no police in the canyons? You guys seem to be able to drive with no license-losing anxiety. I didn't even see a radar detector anywhere.
Traffic is very light if you get there early enough in the morning. Police tend to focus on the higher activity weekend periods.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:57 PM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I was going to let them borrow mine but then found out it was a long day that I could not do. How long did it take AND was there any worry about damage?
IIRC, it was less than 3 hours. A lot of that time was setting up equipment and chatting. I had communicated with Fenton in the weeks leading up to the day and meeting him in person took away any anxiety.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:09 AM
samwise
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Are you still doing the GTS vs. GT3 video?
Old 01-19-2022, 12:26 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by samwise
Are you still doing the GTS vs. GT3 video?
OK I gave it to my editor, and he created it with no engine noise or driving. Just me blabber muthing. Grrr. It needs a redo
Old 01-23-2022, 01:12 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Road & Track - Andreas Preuninger ...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...he-gt-profile/
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (01-28-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 06:24 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,075 Likes on 2,108 Posts

Jay Emm

Old 04-24-2022, 10:22 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

hahaha,.... I found myself chuckling at so many of his comments (& disagreeing with most of them). Bxstr, you knew some of us would not be able to hold back....

^^^ at 3 min in, JayEmm says that you "can often find yourself never quite in the right gear, at the right rpm". ... Really? ...
When I first bought mine, the first thing that really astonished me,... was that BECAUSE of the wonderfully broad rpm range Mezger engine, I could actually CHOOSE to be in one of several different gears at any particular chosen rpm, and have fun in that rpm range. At any particular rpm (obviously, depending on various type of road situations), I could actually PLAY around with different gear choices. So for me, it was exactly the opposite impression. I felt that because of the combo of linear & broad engine rpm range, and the gearing, I could have so much MORE diversity and FUN with the car. The car never ceases to give me plenty of options in all situations. It's as though the car can be any personality I want, at any given moment in time. That range & diversity is what I LOVE about the car so much. Big PLUS in my book (not a negative as Jay says).

Who knows,... maybe its because I came from two decades of banging on a 964 Turbo (single turbo, lots of lag, & the very LAST 911 Turbo with RWD),... but most importantly (as a comparison to the GT3), a much narrow & vicious power band when the turbo kicks in. It's violent (esp 1st & 2nd gears), and needs to be driven in a much different manner. I love love love having both cars.

Besides that comment not sitting so well with me,... he also says at 8 min that "it certainly makes a decent noise" (obviously referring to the exhaust note) ..... just "decent" eh? ... yea, to me that is not a true enthusiast who loves a visceral experience. He seemed to be trying hard to convince himself that he should love the car (because the rest of the world does),... but his original firsts impressions are hard for him to shake.

He also admits (at 9min 30sec) that he prefers to drive around in the 4k range. He also isn't really impressed by the hydraulic steering (mentions he feels the 997 Turbo steering is better,... which is an odd statement too)

.... even more strange,... at 14min into the video,... he finds, & says that "at two & a half" rpm, there is a "massive" dead spot in the power delivery. Really? 2,500 rpm??? .... I think the only time I ever "give it the beans" at 2.5k rpm, is when I'm pulling out of my driveway! Geezus man, give that a break.

At 16 min 40 sec, he says that when entering turns, "the front will begin to push wide first, giving you a sign you need to back off". THAT statement right there told me everything I needed to know about his driving style & skills. There is a clear lack of understanding there, & more so a lack of cahoonas in those moments. To say it nicely, this car is not for him,... he is CLEARLY better off in a AWD Turbo. ... Move along Jay.

But of course, I do ALWAYS enjoy seeing & hearing that engine wind up while I'm sitting in front of my computer. So there's that.
The following 2 users liked this post by bweSteve:
balucipher (01-27-2023), jonwb (04-24-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 11:45 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
this guy does a lot of videos on some great cars. I just don’t agree with a lot of what he has to say.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:13 AM
998TT
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
hahaha,.... I found myself chuckling at so many of his comments (& disagreeing with most of them). Bxstr, you knew some of us would not be able to hold back....

^^^ at 3 min in, JayEmm says that you "can often find yourself never quite in the right gear, at the right rpm". ... Really? ...
When I first bought mine, the first thing that really astonished me,... was that BECAUSE of the wonderfully broad rpm range Mezger engine, I could actually CHOOSE to be in one of several different gears at any particular chosen rpm, and have fun in that rpm range. At any particular rpm (obviously, depending on various type of road situations), I could actually PLAY around with different gear choices. So for me, it was exactly the opposite impression. I felt that because of the combo of linear & broad engine rpm range, and the gearing, I could have so much MORE diversity and FUN with the car. The car never ceases to give me plenty of options in all situations. It's as though the car can be any personality I want, at any given moment in time. That range & diversity is what I LOVE about the car so much. Big PLUS in my book (not a negative as Jay says).

Who knows,... maybe its because I came from two decades of banging on a 964 Turbo (single turbo, lots of lag, & the very LAST 911 Turbo with RWD),... but most importantly (as a comparison to the GT3), a much narrow & vicious power band when the turbo kicks in. It's violent (esp 1st & 2nd gears), and needs to be driven in a much different manner. I love love love having both cars.

Besides that comment not sitting so well with me,... he also says at 8 min that "it certainly makes a decent noise" (obviously referring to the exhaust note) ..... just "decent" eh? ... yea, to me that is not a true enthusiast who loves a visceral experience. He seemed to be trying hard to convince himself that he should love the car (because the rest of the world does),... but his original firsts impressions are hard for him to shake.

He also admits (at 9min 30sec) that he prefers to drive around in the 4k range. He also isn't really impressed by the hydraulic steering (mentions he feels the 997 Turbo steering is better,... which is an odd statement too)

.... even more strange,... at 14min into the video,... he finds, & says that "at two & a half" rpm, there is a "massive" dead spot in the power delivery. Really? 2,500 rpm??? .... I think the only time I ever "give it the beans" at 2.5k rpm, is when I'm pulling out of my driveway! Geezus man, give that a break.

At 16 min 40 sec, he says that when entering turns, "the front will begin to push wide first, giving you a sign you need to back off". THAT statement right there told me everything I needed to know about his driving style & skills. There is a clear lack of understanding there, & more so a lack of cahoonas in those moments. To say it nicely, this car is not for him,... he is CLEARLY better off in a AWD Turbo. ... Move along Jay.

But of course, I do ALWAYS enjoy seeing & hearing that engine wind up while I'm sitting in front of my computer. So there's that.
Agreed, some of things he said do not make sense.

I want my 20 mins back.

The dead spot around 2500 rpm is likely due to him driving a less than stellar 997.1 GT3 example with 50k plus miles on it.

No doubt the GT3's 3.6 should be down on power at 2500 rpm, but there shouldn't be a dead spot that startles him unless the car has an issue.

In sum, he's a bit big for the car, and his shirt should tell you something about his taste/judgment.....

Last edited by 998TT; 04-25-2022 at 12:50 AM.
balucipher (01-27-2023)
Old 04-25-2022, 06:54 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,075 Likes on 2,108 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve

Regarding gearing, it's almost never been an issue for me. If I'm on a backroad and I want to quiet down the engine and just cruise along, I'll keep it in fourth or higher. If I want to hear the engine and have instant power, then I'll be in third or in some cases even second. If you're between say 45-50 mph, I could understand in certain situations either wanting to be slightly higher in the RPM range or slightly lower, but as much as I tend to analyze things, I just will shift accordingly. This is also a case of being able to make a change with other gear sets if this really bothered someone. It almost becomes an opportunity where I know if I keep the car long term, I can maker these changes if I ever wanted something different.

Regarding exhaust note, this one didn't sound quite as crisp and clean, but that is likely due to the setup on this car. I personally think the 997 GT3's of all types have some of the best exhaust notes of any 911. 991.2 GT3 I actually prefer in sound, slightly. But they're each unique in their own way.

I think the steering is spot on in the 997 GT3, feels great.

Originally Posted by Turbo Racer
this guy does a lot of videos on some great cars. I just don’t agree with a lot of what he has to say.
Yes, in this video in particular, I don't necessarily agree with all of it. Best part is we enjoy our cars and at the end of the day, that is all that matters. I have plenty of friends that don't understand my 997 GT3 obsession. But if I bought the cars they wanted me to or they thought were right for me, I would not enjoy.
Turbo Racer (04-26-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 03:46 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
This guy barley wedged himself into the car. No wonder it's pushing in corners and steering feels vague. Car needs to be corner balanced with him in it and steering wheel needs to be modified not to rub against the belly.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:25 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenGT3
This guy barley wedged himself into the car. No wonder it's pushing in corners and steering feels vague. Car needs to be corner balanced with him in it and steering wheel needs to be modified not to rub against the belly.
Too funny GlenGT3!

Have those same OEM seats in my RS. Lets just say my frame is perhaps half of this guy and was wondering how he "settled" into the hip area.

Elliotw44 (05-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Reviews for 997.1 997.2 GT3/RS GT2/RS - Inside